Free putter fitting at American Golf

sunshine

Visit site
Make sure and take your own putter And enjoy the experience. A free putter fitting on the Sam putt lab With no obligation to buy.
What’s not to like.
It’s a really interesting session.

Agree, but how many branches have a SAM putt lab? How do you find out which ones have the putt lab and which ones you will just be putting on a carpet with a salesman looking at you?

Turtleboy

Hacker
Visit site
Sam identified the loft & amount of toe hang that worked best for me, therefore that dictated the style I needed.
I paid £20 for the fitting.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The cynic in me would say an AG employee dismantling SAM data is as bad if not worse than their GC Quad or whatever monitor they use for the long shots. Yes I get the fact that some shots are better than others but if I was buying a putter or at the very least get the data, then I'd go somewhere I trust. Having been to a very good SAM fitting (more out of interest) if you get the right person it's a revelation

elmoag

Club Champion
Visit site
how hard can it be to give away a free Sam putt session ? Ag employs more PGA professionals than anyone else in the uk. That fact is Largely irrelevant though customers can avail of the offer of a free fitting and make their own conclusion surely ?
It’s a great bit of kit and it being offered up free must be decent? .

2227618, member: 489"]The cynic in me would say an AG employee dismantling SAM data is as bad if not worse than their GC Quad or whatever monitor they use for the long shots. Yes I get the fact that some shots are better than others but if I was buying a putter or at the very least get the data, then I'd go somewhere I trust. Having been to a very good SAM fitting (more out of interest) if you get the right person it's a revelation[/QUOTE]

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
how hard can it be to give away a free Sam putt session ? Ag employs more PGA professionals than anyone else in the uk. That fact is Largely irrelevant though customers can avail of the offer of a free fitting and make their own conclusion surely ?
It’s a great bit of kit and it being offered up free must be decent? .

Up to a point but like anything its about how the data is interpreted and then passed on to the customer. Just because something is free doesn't always mean its a good deal. Itis also pot luck in my experience and that of several PP's whether they get a shop assistant or the manager (assuming this is the PGA pro as I've not seen any pro's in any store separate from the AG staff). I would simply not be 100% convinced the shop assistant would be totally capable of understanding all of the data that comes of a SAM session as it does go into quite some depth.

D

Deleted member 16999

Up to a point but like anything its about how the data is interpreted and then passed on to the customer. Just because something is free doesn't always mean its a good deal. Itis also pot luck in my experience and that of several PP's whether they get a shop assistant or the manager (assuming this is the PGA pro as I've not seen any pro's in any store separate from the AG staff). I would simply not be 100% convinced the shop assistant would be totally capable of understanding all of the data that comes of a SAM session as it does go into quite some depth.
You constantly criticise AG at every opportunity you get, yes we know YOU had a bad experience at one, it still doesn’t justify you questioning the AG Staff and their professionalism every time AG is mentioned in a thread.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Don't think you can ever go wrong with an Anser style putter. I have an old Cadence Anser which is nice and firm and you definitely get a firm response off the face even with a premium (softer) ball
Well you could if its not weighted correctly for your stroke (heel , toe etc ) the exact sort of thing a SAM putt lab will tell you....

elmoag

Club Champion
Visit site
Ok define shop assistant as in my experience most people In golf stores not just ag are passionate golfers who may have underwent extensive training to provide good advice to customers. Indeed 85% of the demo reps who travel the UK advising on behalf of the brands are not PGA professionals Would you say they are trusted ? They have been mere shop assistants in their previous role.
They are however experts.
Buying golf clubs has become far too technical in my opinion.
Anyone thinking a Sam putt lab session is going to change their inconsistent stroke, stance, posture and routine and turn them in Loren Roberts is dreaming. What can happen though is they get an understanding of why they miss where they miss and they buy a putter Style that has a greater suitability.
It makes them feel better about it knowing it’s helping not hindering.
And a simple Sam putt lab session will do that and suffice for 95% of us.
The other 5% who are looking for an edge would be well served watching anything by Phil Kenyon and going to visit him that is a true experience.
Well In advance of anything anyone else is doing.

Skypilot

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just thought I'd resurrect this thread to have a rant about an American Golf fitting I had last week.
Luckily I had a good idea of what my requirements were, and what I wanted, based on previous fittings.
I'd had a fitting when I bought my current clubs 6 years ago. I was about to change them just before the lockdowns started and I had another fitting then with a different fitter who came out with more or less the same requirements as my previous fitting.
Anyway.....
Lockdowns over so I decided I'd pull the trigger on some new clubs, and may as well take advantage of AG's free fitting service.
The guy was just absolutely useless. I genuinely believe he knew nothing about golf or fitting and was just trying to bluff his way through.
Examples
On shafts. He felt swing speed was irrelevant, it was just what felt ok. When asked about the different Flex options he said "All flex is the same, they're just different weights. Senior weights are very light, stiff shafts are very heavy"
On clubs. I told him I may not get long irons in my new set and asked what Hybrids and Woods equate in distance to 4 + 5 irons (I had a good idea but was testing him at this stage) "Ah, that's easy. You just look at the degrees of each club and get the same in Hybrids and Woods"
On club length. Always been fitted as .5" longer but didn't tell him that. "Er, doesn't really matter, whatever feels right"
On Lie Angle. Same as above.
It went on and on.
How can they let someone carry out a fitting when they've got absolutely no idea.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
From my experience American Golf is only of use if you want clothing. However, if you want a bargain in the sales don’t bother unless you are a midget with a 46” waist or have an inside leg of 36” and a 28” waist. I have never heard a good thing about their fitting process. Just pimply youths trying to sell stuff. You don’t get anything for nothing.

D

Deleted member 15344

Just thought I'd resurrect this thread to have a rant about an American Golf fitting I had last week.
Luckily I had a good idea of what my requirements were, and what I wanted, based on previous fittings.
I'd had a fitting when I bought my current clubs 6 years ago. I was about to change them just before the lockdowns started and I had another fitting then with a different fitter who came out with more or less the same requirements as my previous fitting.
Anyway.....
Lockdowns over so I decided I'd pull the trigger on some new clubs, and may as well take advantage of AG's free fitting service.
The guy was just absolutely useless. I genuinely believe he knew nothing about golf or fitting and was just trying to bluff his way through.
Examples
On shafts. He felt swing speed was irrelevant, it was just what felt ok. When asked about the different Flex options he said "All flex is the same, they're just different weights. Senior weights are very light, stiff shafts are very heavy"
On clubs. I told him I may not get long irons in my new set and asked what Hybrids and Woods equate in distance to 4 + 5 irons (I had a good idea but was testing him at this stage) "Ah, that's easy. You just look at the degrees of each club and get the same in Hybrids and Woods"
On club length. Always been fitted as .5" longer but didn't tell him that. "Er, doesn't really matter, whatever feels right"
On Lie Angle. Same as above.
It went on and on.
How can they let someone carry out a fitting when they've got absolutely no idea.

It all depends on which AG you visit

For example Biggleswade has two qualified PGA pros who are very good. They use the Mizuno SAM lab and it’s got a very good fitting studio

The new AG in Milton Keynes has a mix - two very good fitting bays and some knowledgeable guys and some not so

They fit an area of the market - mainly nomads who arent club members

I would always get fit by an independent fitter that I have used for the past 3 years.

But surely if the above is happening then speak to the manager and request a proper fitting

Skypilot

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It all depends on which AG you visit

For example Biggleswade has two qualified PGA pros who are very good. They use the Mizuno SAM lab and it’s got a very good fitting studio

The new AG in Milton Keynes has a mix - two very good fitting bays and some knowledgeable guys and some not so

They fit an area of the market - mainly nomads who arent club members

I would always get fit by an independent fitter that I have used for the past 3 years.

But surely if the above is happening then speak to the manager and request a proper fitting
I'm in Peterborough. The staff are generally poor but occasionally you get someone competent.
A few years ago, pissed off with the local shop, I actually drove down the A1 to Biggleswade AG to try some Evnroll putters.
The guy there was very helpful. I bought one and it's still in my bag (love it)