Free putter fitting at American Golf

Tommy10

Visit site
Hi, has anyone had one of these?

I'm booked in at end of this month, just curious if anyone had been and if it was worthwhile.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
My pro did mine for free when put a new grip on it. It was still stock length but now is cut down to fit. I had just had a putting lesson so maybe that factored into it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
As I recall they don't really go very in depth. There's nothing with cameras or anything analysing putts, they just position you over a mirror to figure out whether you need toe-hang or balanced, and then figure out what length it should be.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
As I recall they don't really go very in depth. There's nothing with cameras or anything analysing putts, they just position you over a mirror to figure out whether you need toe-hang or balanced, and then figure out what length it should be.
Some have the SAM putt lab which is pretty good, I had a go and they reckoned I would be better of with a face balanced putter and indeed I am! Got my self a spider mini.

Tommy10

Visit site
Yeah they have the SAM putt lab at the AG I'm going to. It's only 30 mins so I don't expect amazing detail but hopefully enough to know whether or not I would benefit from a new putter.

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I went to AG at Biggleswade yesterday, they had hardly any putters for sale. They had a reasonable selection of Scotty Cameron’s and lots of fazers. I think there was only about 4 or 5 Odyssesys. Not much else. If all branches are like that I don’t know what you can try out.

Redtraveller

Club Champion
Visit site
I did one a while back. They got the kit out to look at my stroke / club head path on the computer etc. It was decent but I’d never done it before so wasn’t comparing to anything. This was at the Aintree store

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If they have a SAM Lab then I'd say it's worth it. If they are just letting you putt on that 'green' area and I'd go to a pro.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Will probably be as much a chance to try out the current range of putters, but it's very much your luck if you get someone with the tech and who knows how to use it.

If I want a fitting, I'm more than happy with the opportunity to pay a pro / coach for their time to go through the process and for them to give me the spec of a putter that is suited to me - which I can then decide to source from them, source 2nd hand, get something custom built or adapted etc.

I did this 2 years ago and got great service, no sales pitch and will 100% return to that person if getting future fittings for anything.

elmoag

Club Champion
Visit site
Make sure and take your own putter And enjoy the experience. A free putter fitting on the Sam putt lab With no obligation to buy.
What’s not to like.
It’s a really interesting session.

Tommy10

Visit site
Went to a golf pro for the fitting earlier today and have bought a Ping Heppler Tomcat, loft needs a small adjustment so pick it up on Friday. Tried quite a few including Odyssey & Cleveland brands, told me I need face balanced and reason I was pulling putts left was poor follow through and the putter I had was too light.

Satisfied customer, can't wait to use the new one on Saturday (y)

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Went to a golf pro for the fitting earlier today and have bought a Ping Heppler Tomcat, loft needs a small adjustment so pick it up on Friday. Tried quite a few including Odyssey & Cleveland brands, told me I need face balanced and reason I was pulling putts left was poor follow through and the putter I had was too light.

Satisfied customer, can't wait to use the new one on Saturday (y)
What is the face like, I like the spider stuff but the inserts feel too soft

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What is the face like, I like the spider stuff but the inserts feel too soft
The face on the Heppler putters remind me of the old Ansers they are much firmer.
I don’t like insert putters that are designed to be soft.
The greens in the uk are not quick enough most of the year and I end up hitting them to hard.
The Heppler Anser is really nice and am thinking of getting one.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The face on the Heppler putters remind me of the old Ansers they are much firmer.
The greens in the uk are not quick enough most of the year and I end up hitting them to hard.
That’s where I am, any ball that isn’t an x feels too soft.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Don't think you can ever go wrong with an Anser style putter. I have an old Cadence Anser which is nice and firm and you definitely get a firm response off the face even with a premium (softer) ball

big_matt

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Ive had an AG putter fitting a few years ago. It was ok. The outcome was to tell you whether you suit toe hang etc then you can choose one in that style to buy.

I didnt really get any information on suitable length/loft/etc.

If i was going to get another putter fitting id just pay for one at a manufacturer etc.

Tommy10

Visit site
The putter is excellent, face is solid steel with no ridges or anything. To start I was hitting everything long but I'm starting to get used to it now. The weight of the putter and everything else about it seems perfect, just need to get the pace right consistently and away we go.