Free drop from a rock?

Matty2803

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi All

Just a quick question regarding a free drop my playing partner claimed the other night.

He was long of the green, in the trees and deep rough, where he found his ball up against a rock. He claimed he would get a free drop from the rock, because it had been put there.......

I certainly know what I think about the ruling, but would just like to double check.

Thanks.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
A rock or stone would normally be defined under the rules as a loose impediment and therefore no relief would be granted. The player may though remove a loose impediment without penalty provided of course it does not result in the ball moving. Some years ago Tiger got spectators to help move a big rock in the desert that was impeding his line of play.

I guess it is entirely possible that a greenkeeper has put this rock there with the intention of moving it later, in which case it would be classed as ground under repair, of course relief without penalty would then be available, not though sure this is very likely in this case.

Matty2803

Head Pro
Visit site
A rock or stone would normally be defined under the rules as a loose impediment and therefore no relief would be granted. The player may though remove a loose impediment without penalty provided of course it does not result in the ball moving. Some years ago Tiger got spectators to help move a big rock in the desert that was impeding his line of play.

I guess it is entirely possible that a greenkeeper has put this rock there with the intention of moving it later, in which case it would be classed as ground under repair, of course relief without penalty would then be available, not though sure this is very likely in this case.

Exactly! Thank you!!

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If a greenkeeper had moved some stones / rocks ready to reove later they would normally mark the pile. A single rock - I think your man was trying it on. did you call him on it?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi All

Just a quick question regarding a free drop my playing partner claimed the other night.

He was long of the green, in the trees and deep rough, where he found his ball up against a rock. He claimed he would get a free drop from the rock, because it had been put there.......

I certainly know what I think about the ruling, but would just like to double check.

Thanks.
Was the rock partially but solidly embedded?

"Loose impediments" are natural objects, .... provided they are not: ......solidly embedded,

WrxUSA

Visit site

hey bud can you show me the rule that covers this, seems kinda subjective

DCB

Visit site
He was long of the green, in the trees and deep rough, where he found his ball up against a rock.
Nope, absolutely no chance. If the rock was not a loose impediment, then tough, play it as it ls or take a penalty drop :)

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Check the Definitions - Ground Under Repair

And yes, perhaps a little subjective.

In this case, the stone would need to be part of a load of others that have been stacked (in a mound) for removal.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site

The definition of Ground under repair includes the following: "Ground under repair includes material piled for removal and a hole made by a greenkeeper, even if not so marked. Grass cuttings and other material left on the course that have been abandoned and are not intended to be removed are not ground under repair unless so marked".

You would of course have to have evidence that any material left by a greenkeeper had been piled for later removal, a rock I would expect to be marked as GUR if it is the intention for it to be removed.