Foxhunting

D

Deleted member 15344

All seems a bit heavy handed. Like getting a group of mates around to kill a fly.

Could they not be trapped and released somewhere else. Or would that be too sensible?

Far too sensible - and doesn't allow them to Tally Ho with the pimms whilst the hunt a harmless fox and have the hounds rip to shreds

Thankfully don't think have heard much more talk about it - hopefully the idea has been binned and it will continue to be banned and the toffs can find a less cruel activity to pursue

Phil2511

Global Moderator
www.britespark.org
As for those advocating shooting, it isn't as good a method of control as you might think. e.g. Not everyone is an expert marksman and wounding creates a huge amount of unnecessary suffering. Additionally, the rifle shooter with a lamp will kill or maim all foxes, not just the old, stupid or injured ones. This includes pregnant vixens or those with cubs to feed who then starve. Not ideal. And hounds? Mother Nature is quite amazing in that when with cubs, the scent of a vixen diminishes a great deal meaning that they have a far better chance of eluding a hunting pack.

In general terms, it is true to say that a fox in the prime of it's life will invariably show the hounds a clean pair of heels.

Shooting is most probably the best way to deal with a fox, IMO of course, all your comments are rubbish, to even get a licence to hold a rifle of suitable calibre, you must have previous experience of smaller calibre rifles, also you dont need to be a sniper to kill a fox, you can call them in by making a squeak using your hand, or get calls to do that, a quick watch of youtube will show foxes being called in to within feet of a shooter. Many shooters will also leave foxes and pigeons during breeding season. Unless requested to remove a problem fox by landowners. In fact one shooter on a group im a member of, only last week, released a fox cub caught in a mink trap,

Phil2511

Global Moderator
www.britespark.org
All seems a bit heavy handed. Like getting a group of mates around to kill a fly.

Could they not be trapped and released somewhere else. Or would that be too sensible?

That would be silly, they are vermin, they kill for fun, not for food like other predators, a fox enters a hen house, kills every single chicken and then takes 1 away for dinner, lambs, sometimes calves. The numbers need maintained for a reason.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site

Released where? They are a nuisance any where near livestock in the country :(

Having seen the damage and wanton killing of young lambs and chickens they are Vermin nothing more.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Yup, anything that wantonly kills animals for fun should be considered vermin.

Look, speaking as a member of the landed gentry I am sick of you woolly yoghurt eating liberal left wing communists pontificating about stuff you have know nothing about. Just go back to your strikes and quinoa and mung bean salad and leave us country folk alone.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Look, speaking as a member of the landed gentry I am sick of you woolly yoghurt eating liberal left wing communists pontificating about stuff you have know nothing about. Just go back to your strikes and quinoa and mung bean salad and leave us country folk alone.
Yoghurt has feelings too you know. All that live culture!!!! I'm a breatharian, existing solely on the positive life force emitted by the Holy Gaia and present in the air we breathe.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Enter stage left the Colonel from Monty Python to announce that this thread has got rather silly :)
View attachment 15419

Don't they all Phil? It's a bunch of golfers talking from behind a keyboard about something that most know the square root of toad hall about.. It's what makes the forum so interesting (and usually silly). I just wish I had a nice bottle of Red or 2 to wash it down with....

S

Snelly

Shooting is most probably the best way to deal with a fox, IMO of course, all your comments are rubbish, to even get a licence to hold a rifle of suitable calibre, you must have previous experience of smaller calibre rifles, also you dont need to be a sniper to kill a fox, you can call them in by making a squeak using your hand, or get calls to do that, a quick watch of youtube will show foxes being called in to within feet of a shooter. Many shooters will also leave foxes and pigeons during breeding season. Unless requested to remove a problem fox by landowners. In fact one shooter on a group im a member of, only last week, released a fox cub caught in a mink trap,

My comments are all rubbish?

I have a .22LR, a semi-auto .22LR, a .17HMR, a .243 and a .308. Several shotguns too. I know a fair bit about shooting thanks. More than most in fact.

Same goes for hunting.

I don't do much of either any more and am in the process of selling three rifles. But I have done a huge amount in the past and possibly know a bit more about these subjects that the armchair experts on this forum.

Paul77

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
In 2014 before I started in Sports photography, I was a wildlife photographer. While watching a Kingfisher nest I spotted a Fox den. Coming up to the time of year for that sort of thing I had both on watch. When the wee fox cubs emerged it was pretty amazing to watch and photgraph. Everyone has a reason to do things. Killing animals for sport is silly in my opinion. What if it was the other way around?

Anyway here was a resulting image, and I still couldn't understand why anyone would want to kill these amazing creatures

Pair of Fox cubs by Paul Stewart, on Flickr