2014 challenge

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So I've set myself a little challenge for this year. I have challenged myself to not buy any new golf clubs in 2014. For some of you this won't seem like much of a challenge I'm sure. For other, degenerate club hoes, such as myself it is a challenge almost too big to contemplate.

Here are the clubs I currently have in the bag, and on the subs bench:
Bag:
Driver: nike covert tour
Fairway: nike covert tour
Hybrid: ping i20 20*
DI: mizuno mph4 2i
Irons: mizuno mp53 4-pw
Wedges: mizuno mpt11 52, 58
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport

Subs: ping Scottsdale TR Shea; nike vr pro ltd 3,5w; ping g20 4wood; titleist 910d2; ping g20 driver; Mizzie mx23 irons; nike method core 5i putter, ping b60 becu, odyssey 8802 (never even used !!)

Plan is to move on a fair bit of that on the subs bench (except the ping putter, that I am certainly keeping) leaving me with one solid set.

Also not getting my fix from buying other equipment, so no new bags, trolleys or DMDs, unless I break any, current:
Carry: sun mountain 3.5
Pencil: ping moonlite
Trolley bag: nike m9
Trolley: clicgear
GPS: garmin s1

Why? What do I get out of it? I hear you not asking nor caring...
Well, less grief from my wife for one, more money in the bank, and hopefully a better golf game as I stop chopping and changing.

So I've documented my current set up here, I'll check back with this at the end of 2014 to see how I did and hold myself to account.

If you want to join me in the challenge feel free to document your current set up here too.

I think my biggest problem will be not buying drivers when current models get discounted for new releases (ping anser now end of line and likely to be reduced, Cleveland Classic xl already reduced!!...)

Thanks for reading :thup:

(I reserve the right to disregard this challenge WHEN I win Euromillions)

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
Good luck to you fella! I've started 2014 with the exact same intention, although I've not even made it out of January without a change. The bag in my sig will remain throughout the year, with only a new 5W being added, hopefully by the end of the month. So perhaps I will have 11 months off the club ho'ing game.

My aim, like you, is to save money, play consistently and get less grief from the wife. Also aiming for a 15.0 or less handicap by the end of this year.

Oh, and no subs bench at all for me, that only leads to trouble.

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
you havent included not buying any golf balls...... thats a major incentive to play better, once you run out of balls your out lol

You obviously haven't seen my current golf ball stash. Easily a seasons worth. Even at the rate I go through them.
Still, balls, tees, gloves are consumables!
Allowing myself some new clothes and a pair of shoes... But that's it!

big_eck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm up for this, same deal when I win euro millions or if I get my huge payout this year from a work accident I will still try hold off

currently have
Driver : Nike covert vrs
fairway : x hot 3 wood
hybrids : x hot 3 hybrid, taylormade SLDR 4 hybrid
irons : x hot 4-sw although 4&5 are not in the bag currently
wedges : Mac daddy 2 52 & 60
putter : Nike drone 2.0
bag : taylormade juggernaut
trolley : Stewart push along
dmd : bushnell and garmin s3

i will be buying new shoes soon as my current ones are leaking! Also have a hole in my glove. Currently have about 18 years worth of golf balls so I'm ok there

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Nice idea if you're a shopaholic although the challenge does have the edge taken off it slightly if most of your gear is only about 18 months old though ;)

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wow I thought I was a gear hoe!
Having finally settled on the top end of my bag I'm trying not to change either, I may build a reserve driver during the year though.
Good luck with it, I suggest you take up something less addictive instead like crack cocaine!

G_Mulligan

Tour Rookie
www.thegolfpsychologist.co.uk
I went the whole of 2013 without a single major golfing purchase, just balls and gloves. It was strange at first catching myself 'window' shopping around the web and drooling over the new mizuno irons that came out but I stayed strong. I did get a new pair of shoes for xmas but the wife was struggling for ideas so not counting those either :)

Not sure if I can go 2 years in a row but I am going to give it a shot because I am happy with my clubs and don't really need anything new although the Nike covert driver is calling to me and again those new mizunos are so so shiney...

edit* i also bought a new wedge but thats to replace the one I left on the 18th which never got handed in...so not counting that either haha

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nice idea if you're a shopaholic although the challenge does have the edge taken off it slightly if most of your gear is only about 18 months old though ;)

Oldest thing in my bag are the mp53 irons, which I bought last January.
Everything has replaced something that was also less than a year old. That's why this is challenging!

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Oldest thing in my bag are the mp53 irons, which I bought last January.
Everything has replaced something that was also less than a year old. That's why this is challenging!

I wish you well, in fact I'd go as far as saying I will act as a sponsor outlet for you!

If you succumb at any point then you must send me the item you are replacing. i.e you weaken and get a new hybrid then your Ping i20 comes my way (in terms of a penalty as it were)

In return I will play said club and crow on the forum about the good shots I hit with it

Further I wont charge for this service and extend same to other taking your challenge :)

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I wish you well, in fact I'd go as far as saying I will act as a sponsor outlet for you!

If you succumb at any point then you must send me the item you are replacing. i.e you weaken and get a new hybrid then your Ping i20 comes my way (in terms of a penalty as it were)

In return I will play said club and crow on the forum about the good shots I hit with it

Further I wont charge for this service and extend same to other taking your challenge :)

Very generous of you... :)

markgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Driver titleist 913 d2
3 metal titleist 913hd
2 iron 712u
3 to gw titleist 714 ap2
wedges titleist sm5 54 and 58 ( bought today)
putter scotty cameron newport 1.5 black

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Driver titleist 913 d2
3 metal titleist 913hd
2 iron 712u
3 to gw titleist 714 ap2

Don't know if it's me but I don't understand this post. Some of the post is different to your sig yet the putter is the same.

markgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Driver titleist 913 d2
3 metal titleist 913hd
2 iron 712u
3 to gw titleist 714 ap2

sorry put in wrong thread should have been in whats in bag 2014