Fowler exemption into PGA - agree or disagree?

D

Deleted member 3432

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Can't say it bothers me, but it doesn't sit within the alleged qualifying rules though does it?!

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
there is an element of who cares but, given how much we all like to big up the majors, it’s quite a big one to get a late invite/exemption. Even Augusta, even though it’s an invitational, very rarely actually goes outside its eligibility parameters.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't even know what the criteria for invites are so it's hard to provoke an emotion either way. Generally I quite like Rickie, so would be nice to see him there. Probably miss the cut though.

wjemather

Visit site
Caitln is 82 in world rankings so qualifies on merit as top 100 qualify.

Don't understand why Fowler is 'special' enough to deprive someone of ranking points if he doesn't meet any qualifying criteria unless the PGA has suddenly become an invitational.
The PGA of America reserve the right to invite whoever they wish, and there are frequently a few players ranked outside the top-100 who get invited. Also, the top-100 in the OWGR isn't an official qualification criterion, but the PGAoA usually invite them all (but not always). Once they have decided on their invitees, the field is then filled from a PGA Tour money earned list (from which the top-70 are automatically qualified).

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Without his jazzy dress sense, Rickie Fowler is just meh. Never understood why he got attention. Did he used to be good on the tour or something?

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The golfing equivalent of the ESL. While I won't lose a second's sleep over it, I think it diminishes the tournament.
I'd like to think I'd have turned the invite down ...

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
It’s their tournament and they can invite who they like. I’d rather Fowler than someone 400th in the rankings who’s there just because of a sponsor and hasn’t got a hope of making the cut

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It’s their tournament and they can invite who they like. I’d rather Fowler than someone 400th in the rankings who’s there just because of a sponsor and hasn’t got a hope of making the cut
Apart from the actual WR it could be argued that Fowler fills your criteria...he's missed more cuts than he's had top 10s in the last 4 seasons, out of the top 100 and badly out of form.