Foursomes

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
So tomorrow is our 1st round Daily Mail match at home to Abbotsley. I've only played a couple of Foursomes matches and they were "relaxed" club comps with David. I struggled with the format - not only the lack of rhythm but mainly the mental side of the game. If I stuff up my own ball then it's down to me to unstuff it up but when I put my partner in trouble I want the ground to swallow me up.

I'm taking the odds as that means most of the Par 3's and my partner is a 6'2" big hitter. I'm confident in that tactic but already bricking it about the 1st tee shot and the match in general!

So kind forumites - any pearls of wisdom I can hang my hat on and bring to my mind to help??

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I'd imagine your partner has played in many foursomes matches so will now the score.
He will expect you to hit bad shots and he will too.
But remember, no-one hits a bad shot on purpose.
You'll both be trying on every shot you hit.
ALWAYS take a putter with you to the green, even if it looks like your partner will look like holing the putt. There's nothing worse than the walk back to the bag to fetch your putter.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'd imagine your partner has played in many foursomes matches so will now the score.
He will expect you to hit bad shots and he will too.
But remember, no-one hits a bad shot on purpose.
You'll both be trying on every shot you hit.
ALWAYS take a putter with you to the green, even if it looks like your partner will look like holing the putt. There's nothing worse than the walk back to the bag to fetch your putter.

Ooh I felt my heart-rate drop 10 beats as I read that Bob :)

You're right - if she (yes a 6'2" she!!) stuffs up I wouldn't think badly of her as I know she'll be trying her best. I'll remember the putter tip too...

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks guys - v helpful.

Just home from winning my 9 hole winter league match and 2 over gross so that is one helluva confidence boost. Finished 7 over gross for 18 as I took my foot of the pedal a bit but regained focus and finished with a nice couple of pars :thup:

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
6'2"? I'd have a box of chocolates in reserve in case "sorry" isn't enough! :)

Seriously though good advice is to just accept that we all hit bad shots sometimes and never on purpose. I sometimes have that chat before we start and agree that we don't need to keep apologising to each other.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Hate the format with a passion. That aside, enjoy it. It's a format where a big score can rack up quickly but seeing how well you scored today and your 6'2" minder to watch your back tomorrow it'll be fine. Worse case scenario if the oppos are doing well just get her to tell them she'll be waiting in the car park for them after

Bigfoot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Don't worry about losing a hole. They are going to have similar problems. I played foresomes for the first time on our tour last year. We lost the first hole and ended up winning 7 and 5. Always have a plan and if you have a shot to leave a lay up, make sure you know what distance your partner prefers to hit from.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Discuss shots with your partner. eg where there may be a choice, jointly agree whether to "go for it" or to lay up - or where you think the putting line is etc. Remember - it's one ball but two heads, so use them. And like the others advise, no recriminations. If one of you is chuffing and the other apologising, then neither of you is thinking about the next shot.

Last year due to, shall we say, an organisational error, I played with someone I'd never met before , let alone played with. I think we were both bricking it - but we thoroughly enjoyed it. We only got to round two but agreed to have another bash together this year. So we must have passed muster with each other.

Enjoy.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Stay with your partner. Some will say walk on, and be ready to play the next shot, as it saves time. Cobblers. You won't talk to your partner all day if you do this. There will be no team spirit at all, and any time saved will be lost if you have to play three off the tee on one hole. If you walk ahead, it doesn't half put pressure on the one playing the shot.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Finished 7 over gross for 18 as I took my foot of the pedal a bit but regained focus and finished with a nice couple of pars :thup:

You seem to be winning quite a lot lately.. and shooting 7 over off 14 h/cap :whistle::whistle:

You are clearly talented... can you speak Mexican? ;)

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It's good to have a natter about the shot, but when all's said and done YOU have to be comfortable with the shot you're playing. If you've no confidence in their choice of shot even though it's the one they would have the best chance with, then say so and play your own shot.
The same with their shot, don't talk them out of the shot they're comfortable with just because you wouldn't play it that way.

Playing the wrong shot (within reason) with confidence is mostly better than playing the right shot with no confidence.

Good luck, and enjoy it. :)

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Stay with your partner. Some will say walk on, and be ready to play the next shot, as it saves time. Cobblers. You won't talk to your partner all day if you do this. There will be no team spirit at all, and any time saved will be lost if you have to play three off the tee on one hole. If you walk ahead, it doesn't half put pressure on the one playing the shot.

I agree and will remember that as once had a right old domestic with David for not bothering to walk up an elevated tee with me in a pairs match!

You seem to be winning quite a lot lately.. and shooting 7 over off 14 h/cap :whistle::whistle:

You are clearly talented... can you speak Mexican? ;)

Ha ha! I'm a popular choice as matchplay is my forte - this year need to play medals in the same manner!

It's good to have a natter about the shot, but when all's said and done YOU have to be comfortable with the shot you're playing. If you've no confidence in their choice of shot even though it's the one they would have the best chance with, then say so and play your own shot.
The same with their shot, don't talk them out of the shot they're comfortable with just because you wouldn't play it that way.

Playing the wrong shot (within reason) with confidence is mostly better than playing the right shot with no confidence.

Good luck, and enjoy it. :)

Thanks - sounds sound advice.

Thanks very much for the advice everyone. Playing the front 9 beforehand to get my eye in!

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am a bit of a sadist and enjoy the challenge of playing this format. Like people have said do not get annoyed with yourself or your partner if a bad shot is played, you will both do it at some point. Make sure you leave your partner a shot they like playing. I prefer to be at 80 yards than 40 yards as I can control the shot better so make sure you know what they prefer. If you have a difficult shot to play, then look at what shot YOU want to play, not what your partner wants you to play. If you are stuck between playing the safe shot or going for it, then there is nothing wrong with a quick chat with your partner. See what they reckon, if they say go for it then it does take a little bit of pressure off the shot as if it does go wrong then they did agree with you that it is worth a go. I think it is important to make sure you tee off the correct holes. If one of you is a a lot better with your long irons and fairway woods, then make sure they are hitting the second shots on the longer holes. Aprt from those little tips enjoy it. I love this format and normally do quite well in it.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well what a weird game that was! Played 9 holes beforehand and striking it lovely so felt confident. Nervous on the first tee shot but hit it across the pond nicely. They were higher handicappers and messed up the 1st and we just seemed to go on from there and won the first 6 holes! End result was a 5&4 win so onwards to the 2nd round :thup:

The nicest comment was from my partner (7 handicap) - "you strike the ball so sweetly I'm jealous" :clap: