Foursomes - who to drive on which hole?

Kennysarmy

Visit site
I've got a foursomes stableford round next month and my partner and I (well mainly me) are working out the best strategy for who should drive off on the odds and even holes.

He's a 22 handicapper - strengths would be his putting, off the tee and with his approach shots he hits a BIG FADE (We call him Darth Fader!) He's not a big hitter, 5 or 6 irons only going about 150 yards.

I'm a 9 handicap and would probably say my weakness would be the occasional leaked shot left when I drive. I can get my driver out to 270 if I nail it and I am playing well at the moment. (41 pts on Sunday - albeit that off the yellow tees)

We're going to be off half combined handicaps for the competition, so 16!

Things I think I need to be considering:

Hole length - any longer holes where we might not reach if I don't drive!
Hole shape - any where his excessive fade might put us in big trouble.
Who might be playing more lag putts assuming the rest of the hole has gone to plan.
Who might be playing more green-side chips if the green has been missed.

Welcome any thoughts.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Dont overthink it. Personally would look at how many par 3s on each of the odds and evens, if theres an advantage to one or the other then you should tee off on them! If the same for those id do the same with the par 5s. If still the same flip a coin :)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Dont overthink it. Personally would look at how many par 3s on each of the odds and evens, if theres an advantage to one or the other then you should tee off on them! If the same for those id do the same with the par 5s. If still the same flip a coin :)
this unless there is a particular hole you or you partner struggle at

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
this unless there is a particular hole you or you partner struggle at

remember trying that theory once, said to my playing partner that I just couldnt get it in play off the 5th tee so we'd be best if he took the odds! played nicely for 4 holes he then drove it out of town on the 5th and Im stood on the tee shot I really didnt want playing 3 off the tee! A snowman and several sorrys later..........

D

Deleted Member 1156

A 9 and a 22, no disrespect but do you seriously think it's going to go according to plan? Just go out and enjoy. What will be will be :)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
remember trying that theory once, said to my playing partner that I just couldnt get it in play off the 5th tee so we'd be best if he took the odds! played nicely for 4 holes he then drove it out of town on the 5th and Im stood on the tee shot I really didnt want playing 3 off the tee! A snowman and several sorrys later..........

My PP and i's only plan is i don't tee off 16th ( always block it right) we have made the Q finals in the last 2 year, we started doing it a few years ago when i was struggling with the driver. Now it doesn't really matter as i learnt to hit a fade with a driver. Won the Foursomes at my other club this year, but in truth just go with who ever wants to go first on the 1st tee at the time

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Wouldn't over think it. Ask him if there any particular holes and drives in particular that he struggles with, or if he has any preferences and go from there. If it was me, as the lower handicapper I'd simply let him choose and rely on my ability to get the ball in play if its a bad tee shot. Almost a shot a hole so use them

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The above is all sound advice. I'm in the exact situation you are, my partner has pretty much the exact game as yours and is off 21! We got to the quarters last year and always play the same, him odds me evens. The reason?

If you look at our course and work out how many approach shots/tee shots on par 3s you have, it works out that I would hit 14 of those approaches if all went to plan (i.e., on some of long par 4s you can't reach in 2 anyway, so who takes the 3rd shot?). As has also been said, things never go to plan at our handicaps, but at least we have a strategy and when it works we're flying. That aside I think the most important part of playing foursome is a sensible level of dialogue. I don't mean discussing every shot, but you have to let him know what you're thinking and if he agrees because your games are so different the shot you take on wouldn't necessarily be the one he would. For instance I’d happily take on a green knowing the bunker is the worst outcome, whereas he can’t play out of bunkers so I wouldn’t take that shot. You'll have shots, play smart.

And its always said, don't say sorry. You'll both mess up. The best thing is to encourage your partner especially if they think theyre letting the side down cos they'll only try harder to get the house back and mess it up worse.