Foursomes Comps

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My experience is that playing a lot of scratch foursomes matches in the past has made me better at coping with the bad breaks I get and mistakes I make in all other formats. And I have found that there is great satisfaction when the two of you really meld successfully in a foursomes match - more so than 4BBB.

I agree, you feel more like a team with only one ball in play in foursomes (not that you don’t in 4Bbb, but I reckon more so). You need to play it with a buddy, and someone at the same level of investment as you, or it can be challenging.

Skill level not so much, my regular pp is off 24 and we had great games and fun, some teams we played were in purgatory or Hell most of the way round. Not sure why they bothered!

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
My experience is that playing a lot of scratch foursomes matches in the past has made me better at coping with the bad breaks I get and mistakes I make in all other formats. And I have found that there is great satisfaction when the two of you really meld successfully in a foursomes match - more so than 4BBB. Not such a fan of foursomes in other than a match format.

The only one for men at ours is a drawn one so you dont even get to choose a partner. 4 players who rarely play with each other trying to find a common date to play a knockout and then when you do all you get is to try and chip out of the trees where your partner has stuffed you ??. I did win the board comp foursomes once but luckily got picked with my 5 h/c brother in law ?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The only one for men at ours is a drawn one so you dont even get to choose a partner. 4 players who rarely play with each other trying to find a common date to play a knockout and then when you do all you get is to try and chip out of the trees where your partner has stuffed you ??. I did win the board comp foursomes once but luckily got picked with my 5 h/c brother in law ?

I do think it rather important to have a good relationship with your foursomes partner...just getting thrown together in a foursomes pairing could be tricky.

That said - I have paired up with a relatively new member of the club to play in both foursomes and 4BBB Summer K/O comps this year - and I don't really know the guy - might have played once with him. But I know it'll be fine as I know he's a top guy and an improving 18 h/capper :)

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I do think it rather important to have a good relationship with your foursomes partner...just getting thrown together in a foursomes pairing could be tricky.

That said - I have paired up with a relatively new member of the club to play in both foursomes and 4BBB Summer K/O comps this year - and I don't really know the guy - might have played once with him. But I know it'll be fine as I know he's a top guy and an improving 18 h/capper :)

For sure a good relationship works but I find it just half a round of golf with, unless we play well, one or both players playing the others ball from the trouble you've each put yourselves in.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
For sure a good relationship works but I find it just half a round of golf with, unless we play well, one or both players playing the others ball from the trouble you've each put yourselves in.
...and in that for me we have the beauty of the format. Because foursomes is about We and not I - and so we can celebrate each others great shots and great recoveries - and just accept each others mistakes. When we lose we commiserate together - with no blame admitted or demanded - and when we win we celebrate our joint success - with neither of us taking all the plaudits.

But I know it's not for everyone and that my view is very much in the minority (maybe that's why I am usually a pretty good foursomes partner - I enjoy the format :) )

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I might actually enter the foursomes knock-out with a mate this year. Never fancied it before but that was largely because I'd have to pay a green fee to then only hit half the shots which didn't appeal. This year I'm planning to get the season ticket (so more akin to everyone else's memberships really) so that wouldn't be a concern. The mate I would enter with plays off 12, his iron striking is second to none, and personally while I'm not the longest I'm usually pretty straight so in my mind we would work well. Maybe not in practise. :LOL:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I might actually enter the foursomes knock-out with a mate this year. Never fancied it before but that was largely because I'd have to pay a green fee to then only hit half the shots which didn't appeal. This year I'm planning to get the season ticket (so more akin to everyone else's memberships really) so that wouldn't be a concern. The mate I would enter with plays off 12, his iron striking is second to none, and personally while I'm not the longest I'm usually pretty straight so in my mind we would work well. Maybe not in practise. :LOL:
Go for it, i like it, its something a bit different and test your skill and temperament, esp after you playing partner stick it in a bunker from the middle of the fairwar.

i enjoy the diffent formats, singles MP, Greensomes and Forsomes, i play plenty of stroke play so its a nice change

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Royal North Devon & Saunton hold a two day foursomes event every year, 'Bideford Bay' to late for this year but it's advertised as the biggest Foursomes event in the U.K.

Normally attracts the worst weather of the year :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Royal North Devon & Saunton hold a two day foursomes event every year, 'Bideford Bay' to late for this year but it's advertised as the biggest Foursomes event in the U.K.

Normally attracts the worst weather of the year :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Thanks , but thats a long way to do to get hissed on, we could go to Glasgow for that:ROFLMAO: its nearer(y)

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We play this format for the club once a year in what's called the Jimmy Bruien.

Local clubs meet in a qualifier. Stroke foursomes. Best 4cards from 5 to count.

We do a practice 9 holes once a week in the run up to it then play a practice game at the host club.

We qualified last year by a single shot. I am going to take a bunch or the credit for that as I holed a chip for birdie from about 30yards on the 17th hole. I thank you :)

The craic is great amongst the team. Trying to keep your game together whilst also keeping your partner between the hedges is half the thrill of the game. Knowing one bad swing could seriously damage your chances of qualifying is a great buzz. Not being able to do anything as your partner hits can leave you nervous as hell. It can also drain you mentally and be a long day.

Overall I really enjoy playing it. I wouldn't be that fussed if it wasnt an inter-club comp. This usually takes place before our season properly kicks off.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We play this format for the club once a year in what's called the Jimmy Bruien.

Local clubs meet in a qualifier. Stroke foursomes. Best 4cards from 5 to count.

We do a practice 9 holes once a week in the run up to it then play a practice game at the host club.

We qualified last year by a single shot. I am going to take a bunch or the credit for that as I holed a chip for birdie from about 30yards on the 17th hole. I thank you :)

The craic is great amongst the team. Trying to keep your game together whilst also keeping your partner between the hedges is half the thrill of the game. Knowing one bad swing could seriously damage your chances of qualifying is a great buzz. Not being able to do anything as your partner hits can leave you nervous as hell. It can also drain you mentally and be a long day.

Overall I really enjoy playing it. I wouldn't be that fussed if it wasnt an inter-club comp. This usually takes place before our season properly kicks off.

When living in Bristol I was a good mate of an Irish lad called Bill Bruen - a cracking golfer (he was a member of Rosses Point and from that area) and very fine lad indeed - passed away 11yrs ago at the too too young age of 48. I have oft wondered if he was any relative of yer Jimmy Bruen. But like all of these things I'm thinking there will be loads of Bruens :)

I've played a couple of times with my long time foursomes partner in the (Minchinhampton) Tom Long Open - three rounds of foursomes in a single day played over both the Minchinhampton Golf club courses and the separate Minchinhampton Old Course (which is on Minchinhampton Common). Knackering but a great and very enjoyable challenge.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just wondering, is it a rule that you tee off alternate holes in your pair, so one does all the even holes and one does all the odd holes? Or could you vary it up differently if you wanted?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Just wondering, is it a rule that you tee off alternate holes in your pair, so one does all the even holes and one does all the odd holes? Or could you vary it up differently if you wanted?
yes, pick the hole you don't like and make sure your partner is hitting the tee shot on that one:ROFLMAO: