found an old set of blades.. worth keeping?

md2179

Visit site
I used to play golf years ago and bought a second hand set of clubs mainly because they looked nice, I didn't know much about golf then. Years onward I had to give up to study and work and only took the game up again recently buying some mizuno jpx 825 clubs which I tend to strike very well. To my surprise I found the old clubs again in a relatives cupboard well preserved and they are a Maxfly Australian Blade. I Tried hitting them on the range and it was like going from a bike with stabilisers to some kind of professional racer bike, very difficult to hit indeed but yet strangely quite satisfying when I got one out the centre. My distance suffered somewhat with these clubs. My question is, has club technology got to the point where older manufactured clubs are just a handicap and a complete waste of time to use? Or on the flip side, has golf club technology completely masked our swing flaws and given us a false sense of our own skill that older clubs never allowed. My feel is I would like to get these clubs re-gripped with new shafts put on and train with them to learn the skill of hitting balls out the sweet spot and that that I might reap dividends in the long run. Maybe as the handicap improves there could be some advantage to learning with a difficult blade like this?

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
back in the day all of us only had blades and yes I agree it helped either make you a better striker of the ball or you hated it and gave up.

Technology certainly has helped with offcentre hits and todays irons are easier to hit, however, you can still top/thin/fat/shank the most forgiving clubs out there if you dont have the swing.

My advice would be to get one club (maybe the 6 iron) regripped etc and try with that before forking out a lot of money on re-doing the whole set.

p.s welcome to the forum.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
The Aussie Blade is a classic iron and worth keeping if they are in any sort of half decent nick. Certainly a different proposition to JPX. They are probably several degrees more lofted, and maybe a bit shorter in the shaft too.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
They were one of the top sets in their day. I had a set and when you were playing great there was no better feeling, especially hitting a long iron into a green. Get it wrong, especially the thin on a cold winter's day and boy did you feel that. There was little forgiveness and so it was sweet spot or bust.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I think all this codswallop about blades being better for shot shaping is complete tosh, except for the very low single figure player and even then, I think most of those could do as well, if not better, with non blade clubs.