Footjoy HydroKnit

GolfScot

Club Champion
Visit site
Has anyone tried the new product from Footjoy - the hydroknit? I'm quite interested in it as it seems to be a fully waterproof mid layer which appeals given the uncertainty of the Scottish weather! Can wear it as a mid layer and if it rains you are still dry so no need to always pack a jacket.
Just wondered if anyone had tried one on re the fit - whether it was Galvin Green type sizing which i always find a tad smaller than most other brands!

Cheers

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I tried one on at a Footjoy product seminar thingy. Lovely item of clothing and clever in what it is trying to do. I found it to have an element of stretch to it so it is not at all restrictive, in fact it wears like one of their usual mid layer tops. If you are a M in a regular FJ top you will be a M in this as well.

If you get one please advise how you find it works. It is expensive but the concept is a really good one.

GolfScot

Club Champion
Visit site
I tried one on at a Footjoy product seminar thingy. Lovely item of clothing and clever in what it is trying to do. I found it to have an element of stretch to it so it is not at all restrictive, in fact it wears like one of their usual mid layer tops. If you are a M in a regular FJ top you will be a M in this as well.

If you get one please advise how you find it works. It is expensive but the concept is a really good one.

thanks mate - certainly will. I've got a jacket but as i said, the scottish climate can mean it's off and on so being able to just wear this through showers etc really appealed. I have one of their chill out mid layers so will take the size lead from that.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I like the idea/concept of this waterproof jumper top, but seems pretty expensive at £180?!

Rich
I agree but then if you look at cost per wear then less so. They made the point that if you buy a GG jacket, that is who they are targetting at, then you may only wear it 4-5 times per year and you will pay far more for it. The idea of this is that you wear it as a normal mid layer, round after round, week after week, but the bonus is that if it rains then you don't need to change, put another top on. It is a jumper you could wear every week plus it has the bonus of being waterproof. Once you get your head around that it starts to make more sense price wise.

It is out of my justifiable price range but I fully understand the benefits of getting one.

dronfield

Visit site
agree, i actually asked Footjoy on Twitter re the RRP and they said around 165 but haven't seen it online in many places as yet.

Agree, you will prob be able to pick one up online for circa £150. This may be one of those ideas that dont become overly popular - not sure i would want to sit in clubhouse wearing a jumper that had beads of water on it - can it really dry that quickly?

Guess it is really aimed at folk who dont want to layer up and wear a waterproof jacket over a jumper.

Can't believe other manufacturers have not already considered the concept, ie, Galvin Green.

Rich

dronfield

Visit site
I agree but then if you look at cost per wear then less so. They made the point that if you buy a GG jacket, that is who they are targetting at, then you may only wear it 4-5 times per year and you will pay far more for it. The idea of this is that you wear it as a normal mid layer, round after round, week after week, but the bonus is that if it rains then you don't need to change, put another top on. It is a jumper you could wear every week plus it has the bonus of being waterproof. Once you get your head around that it starts to make more sense price wise.

It is out of my justifiable price range but I fully understand the benefits of getting one.

Good point - i do wear my golf jumpers / waterproof jacket for walking etc, so if you are going to use the jumper for other activities, might be worthwhile. Berghaus probably already make a similar item?

Rich

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Good point - i do wear my golf jumpers / waterproof jacket for walking etc, so if you are going to use the jumper for other activities, might be worthwhile. Berghaus probably already make a similar item?

Rich
The FJ people were very excited about it, they saw it as quite a game changer. All of us around the table were equally excited until we heard the price tag. Hopefully it will come down over time, other mfrs will look at replicating the idea, and it will become more affordable.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I wonder if they do Mahoosive size..:unsure:

I really want the Hydroknit, as struggle with normal waterproof jackets.

Sadly, the above rules me out as a...larger athlete. Everything is in the ‘Athletic Fit’ which seems to come 2 sizes smaller

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site

Try 4 or 5 times a week at present. developing webbed feet now its that wet.

chasf

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I like the idea of it, I have the Galvin bre
Agree, you will prob be able to pick one up online for circa £150. This may be one of those ideas that dont become overly popular - not sure i would want to sit in clubhouse wearing a jumper that had beads of water on it - can it really dry that quickly?

Guess it is really aimed at folk who dont want to layer up and wear a waterproof jacket over a jumper.

Can't believe other manufacturers have not already considered the concept, ie, Galvin Green.

Rich
Galvin green have a similar top called the interface 1, they are shower proof and can wear in most rounds. The water beads off like their waterproofs, if is goretex, but as the seams are not taped it's not fully waterproof. I have worn mine in showers and has kept me dry.

chasf

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I really want the Hydroknit, as struggle with normal waterproof jackets.

Sadly, the above rules me out as a...larger athlete. Everything is in the ‘Athletic Fit’ which seems to come 2 sizes smaller
I bought one today and I bought a xxl top today and it fits fine, its it not bulky ,but has plenty of stretch in it. It's very light and comfortable to wear. Will give it a full test tomorrow.

It does feel weird being a quite a neat fit, but it's not restrictive and you can turn and swing no problem. I have the xxxl Galvin green cknit top and the footjoy top feels the better fit

GolfScot

Club Champion
Visit site

Rich
yeh I would hope the cost would be closer to £150 - must admit i have only found it online at Foremost where it is £180 - haven't seen it anywhere else online as yet.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I have an under armour top / jumpery thing. It is shower proof, but not waterproof. Wore it in quite heavy rain recently, and it was fine. I think if I was carrying, it would rub through on the shoulders.