Following on from my earlier lie angle thread...

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Playing at the weekend with as part of a 4 ball, doubles match play.

The lad partnering my (plays off 6) mentioned to me as we were leaving the 18th green after the match finished that the toe on my irons seemed a little high at address.

I didn't think to much about it (I raised it on here in a previous thread many moons ago) and wasn't concerned, but, you know when something is eating away at the back of your mind and won't go away, well I thought best to put it out to the GM forum to either put my mind at rest, or, relieve my bank account of yet more cash :mad:

Here are pictures of my 6 iron, 9 iron and my 56* wedge taken at address

6 Iron:
DSC02191.jpg

9 Iron:
DSC02187.jpg

56* Wedge:
DSC02189.jpg

So. Are my irons too upright for me? I want to try and find somewhere with an impact board to find out for sure but was wondering if these address photos indicate either way?

Muchos kudos in advance :thup:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
at address the toe is too far off the ground, but ultimately impact is more important than address. get them checked on an impact board but id expect the answer is they need flattening a few degrees

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Buy new clubs, the shinier the better, with matching everything.

Come on Gareth admit it, that's what you wanted to hear ;)

:mmm:

I was going to get them re-gripped, but if they're too upright, can't see the point.

at address the toe is too far off the ground, but ultimately impact is more important than address. get them checked on an impact board but id expect the answer is they need flattening a few degrees

Ask a silly question, but wouldn't it be the same at impact?

BoadieBroadus

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Ask a silly question, but wouldn't it be the same at impact?[/QUOTE]

not necessarily, the speed of the downswing will be causing your shaft to flex and bow slightly, this will adjust the lie angle at impact and they could be flatter when you hit the ball...

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I wouldn't worry too much about static lie angle and I don't think you need an impact board to work out if the lie angle suits you. Go to a driving range hit some balls and look at the marks the mat has left on the bottom of your club. Central and it's o.k.

Bear in mind that's a starting point and then you can tweak your clubs for your shot shape should you wish. You should hit the big ball (earth) before the little ball so it's not twisting from hitting the ground that causes the club to twist and shots to go off line, but face plane tilt. The divots are however a good way to work out that starting point as if the toe digs in you may picture it twisting open which would result in an open face (basically the same effect face plane tilt exerts).

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
what do you divots look like?

Brown, thinnish holes in the turf that were green before my swing.............

Sorry, couldn't resist.

To be honest Lump, it's not something I've thought a great deal about. Generally I take a small, semi-deep divot, probably 6-8 inches in length. The divot doesn't appear deeper at one end to the other (heal to toe).

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I wouldn't worry too much about static lie angle and I don't think you need an impact board to work out if the lie angle suits you. Go to a driving range hit some balls and look at the marks the mat has left on the bottom of your club. Central and it's o.k.

Bear in mind that's a starting point and then you can tweak your clubs for your shot shape should you wish. You should hit the big ball (earth) before the little ball so it's not twisting from hitting the ground that causes the club to twist and shots to go off line, but face plane tilt. The divots are however a good way to work out that starting point as if the toe digs in you may picture it twisting open which would result in an open face (basically the same effect face plane tilt exerts).

You may be onto something here.

In our practice nets they use and old mat. When I practice my 6 iron on it, the green that rubs off the onto the sole of the club runs from the heel to the toe. Not really a scientific measure mind :mmm:

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thats what my Pings looked like in black dot (standard lie) I had them set to 1 1/2 degrees flat and it sorted my hook out.Get some electrical tape and put it on the bottom of your 6 iron,go to the range and hit a few balls and see where the wear is on the tape,I suspect it will be out of the heel of the club,ideally it will be out of the middle.
If you go onthe ping website and do a static fitting it will give you a great starting point.

thelank1985

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You do need a little raise in the toe as in the swing the force of the swing will bend the shaft and flatten out the angle that's why the toe has a bit weight to it. If you flatten out he toe you will find you will have more mud on the toe after the swing :). Similar to an over the top swing.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
Brown, thinnish holes in the turf that were green before my swing.............

Sorry, couldn't resist.

To be honest Lump, it's not something I've thought a great deal about. Generally I take a small, semi-deep divot, probably 6-8 inches in length. The divot doesn't appear deeper at one end to the other (heal to toe).

Might be worth just keeping an eye on them and taking note.

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
What did I miss?

Nothing it should have read shouldn't, shouldn't it; well either that or little ball before the big ball as the saying normally goes.

The marks left on the club from the mats I hit off represent the same marks I get when using Lie angle tape.