Foley - Stack and Tilt

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15344

Was listening on the radio and Mr Carter was talking about Sean Foley and what he is getting Woods to do and he believes it is all wrong for the state that Woods body is in - and he was saying that the stack and tilt method is just going to continue to ruin his body ?

So the question is - what the heck is stack and tilt for someone that hasnt got a clue about swing method etc etc

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
oh dear, huge can of worms incoming lol, time for some popcorn

that said, not convinced what foley is teaching is S&T either

Basic description here

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-instruction/2009-12/stackandtilt

The main difference for me is there is no weight tfr from left to right side (weight stays on the left all swing) compared to traditional methods, albeit theres a fair bit more to it

If you want to read far more I have the Plummer and Bennett book on S&T, youre more than welcome to borrow it

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Foley and S&T - No!
Foley and 'staying centred' - Yes!

Certainly a degree of cross-over, as with all this sort of thing, and Foley has had lots of discussions with Bennett and Plummer - as he has with lots of other coaches. But he is quite specific about not having a 'method' that he teaches.

BBC's Iain Carter? If so, I'd challenge his ability/qualification to speak about anything swing related or, likewise, to do with Tiger's body!

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
OK, SnT is a swing theory espoused by a couple of US teaching pros, Mike Bennett and Andy Plummer. It basically gets rid of the weight shaift back in favour of keeping the weight centred over the front foot, which in turn necessitates a tilt in the swing. Some players had some success with it, including Aaron ("Dresses") Baddeley, Charlie Wi and others, and as it got semi-popular, more and more players were said to have elements of it in their swing, including Tiger.

Now, it seems most of those players have drifted away from it, and I haven't even heard it mentioned on GolfWRX, which had been the location of fevered debate and discussion, for a good while.

I think the general wisdom is that Foley's method, such as it is, isn't SnT and the issue was one of the SnT aficionados claiming success where they could find it. Not that they are probably claiming Tiger right now.

YouTube will have some video showing how to do it, if you must. In my view, a lot of people can do some of the initial parts of it, but few can do the other bits needed to balance the action.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Dear God Nooooooooooo

I thought S&T had been consigned to the golfing room 101. Justone is the S&T guru on here and got me dabbling in the dark art for a while. It has some potential and I did hit some good irons but really struggled off the tee with it and it was a passing fad as far as I was concerned

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
nowt wrong with s&t imho. Its a swing that can work just as much as a 1 plane, 2 plane etc etc.

I have the book and dvd's. I gave up trying it as I just couldnt get on with it (probably down to not trying hard enough as opposed to the method not working)

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Foley is not a s&t method instructor, he teaches a very centered turn motion but he's still turning into his right side, right leg which isn't what you do with the s&t method, each to their own but s&t not a great way to play, in my view.
Tiger is using Foley's more centered turn whilst trying, in general, to keep his swing direction (thats the bit of the swing from halfway down & through impact) swinging left. Hoping to take the left side of the course out of play by playing mostly with a cut. Unless the hole demands a straight or a draw shot.

That theory is fine for what he's trying to achieve, except just how hard he still tries to hit it & his loss of height through the shot still tends to get the club stuck behind him, so the double crosses, pulls, pull hooks & when his back is playing up & he can't get through the ball, blocks & block cuts.

Not that it will happen, because to many things have happened & have been said, but the best thing Tiger could do would be to go back to Butch.

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Foley and S&T - No!
Foley and 'staying centred' - Yes!

Certainly a degree of cross-over, as with all this sort of thing, and Foley has had lots of discussions with Bennett and Plummer - as he has with lots of other coaches. But he is quite specific about not having a 'method' that he teaches.

BBC's Iain Carter? If so, I'd challenge his ability/qualification to speak about anything swing related or, likewise, to do with Tiger's body!

And what makes you an expert?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
And what makes you an expert?

Did I say I was? Do I need to be - to challenge someone else's comment, as you are doing, quite legitimately, with mine? Though I've read sufficient articles to make those statements - or at least repeat the ones made in some of the articles.

Btw. I've seen Iain Carter's swing! (Socket can't have! :whistle:) Compared to him, I'm definitely an expert! :rolleyes: Nice guy though! And neither of us are truly qualified to comment on the state of Tiger's body - though it does seem 'stressed'!

Last edited:

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Was listening on the radio and Mr Carter was talking about Sean Foley and what he is getting Woods to do and he believes it is all wrong for the state that Woods body is in - and he was saying that the stack and tilt method is just going to continue to ruin his body ?

So the question is - what the heck is stack and tilt for someone that hasnt got a clue about swing method etc etc

https://www.stackandtilt.com/the-basics/

Summed up in 10 words by plummer and bennett, though it loks like they may have added another 4