Flop shot/open faced wedge shot grip

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
This may be a silly question and I may not explain it very well.

When you are hitting any shot where you are opening the face of your wedge do you:

a) grip the club as normal with the face straight then open the face or

b) open the face of the wedge before taking your grip as if the face was straight?

I go with a) but just wondering if I'm making life more difficult for myself by not using b).

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks Owen,

As I said, I've been gripping then opening with some mixed results!

Definitely give it a go next time I'm out.

Where in Edinburgh are you? I used to live in Haddington just down the road, played my golf at the Glen in NB back in the mists of time...

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
For the flop shot or out of a bunker always open up the club to the required amount before taking a grip.

Chris

Owen_Thomas_14

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Where in Edinburgh are you? I used to live in Haddington just down the road, played my golf at the Glen in NB back in the mists of time...

I stay in Gorebridge(nice place ;)) I used to play at Innerleithen but now play most of my golf at Broomieknowe. The Glen is a nice course, why leave? :p

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site

I stay in Gorebridge(nice place ;)) I used to play at Innerleithen but now play most of my golf at Broomieknowe. The Glen is a nice course, why leave? :p

Stopped playing late teens as footy got more serious. Glen is a great course, personal favourite was the par 3 10th. 200 yds downhill towards the forth, depending on wind ive hit 9 iron or lashed a driver!!

Moved down south 7 years ago and just got back into it this year, not far from lytham so no shortage of nice courses here aswell.

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
Another thing for teh flop shot is to grip the club in your left hand palm, rather than the fingers - this helps prevent you turning your right hand over eth left and delofting through input.

To do this place the club grip in between the 2 pads underneath your thumb and little finger. (i.e. a classic slicer's grip, which keeps the club face open through impact)