Flooded bunkers

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I decided in the end, rightly or wrongly, to wait until the results were published, as I didn't see that it was the competitors fault if the local rule was wrong. I went to the club yesterday and re read the notice and it did say that if you have sand in the bunker you drop in the bunker and it can be nearer the hole . I saw the pro and, as tactfully as I could, pointed out the two errors. The answer was that he had rung the PGA as they had a comp on that morning and that was the wording they were using!

My "interference" was not taken in the spirit it was given and I now start to regret getting involved as clearly getting the rules right is less important than I thought, I realise that the pro acted decisively on the day and I applaud him for that but his attitude to me was " well next time I won't bother" I replied that it would have been better not to have made a rule as the players going in water filled bunkers had a remedy within the rules anyway and, after all, they were in a hazard!

I am now peeved that my "interference" is being ignored and I either now have to escalate it or forget it - why are some people not willing to accept that what I have said was for the benefit of golf and the integrity of both the Club and the rules?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Perhaps the pro should be reminded that (a) the R&A make the rules and (b) that the county advisor would be better asked if such a situation affected the qualifying status. If asked now, he would advise that it would

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Perhaps the pro should be reminded that (a) the R&A make the rules and (b) that the county advisor would be better asked if such a situation affected the qualifying status. If asked now, he would advise that it would

I don't think he would care, a shrug of the shoulders, blame everyone else, deny responsibility and that's job done

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I don't think he would care, a shrug of the shoulders, blame everyone else, deny responsibility and that's job done

Sounds pretty typical Chris.

You are between a rock and a hard place imo, Either accept the dodgy rulings and compromise your integrity, or point them out and be deemed a trouble-making interferer - a symptom/defence mechnism of Committee-itis. Neither satisfactory, but up to you to decide which is the least bad.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Sounds pretty typical Chris.

You are between a rock and a hard place imo, Either accept the dodgy rulings and compromise your integrity, or point them out and be deemed a trouble-making interferer - a symptom/defence mechnism of Committee-itis. Neither satisfactory, but up to you to decide which is the least bad.

Spot on Fox, that's it in a nutshell

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Your ( the OP's) problem lies with the fact that your Pro doesn't care too much so just takes your comments as personal criticism. I suspect any escalation will just force committee members to close ranks as you will not know his comments to them and then your (OP's) true intentions and observations will be lost in the noise. A sad reflection of human nature.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Your ( the OP's) problem lies with the fact that your Pro doesn't care too much so just takes your comments as personal criticism. I suspect any escalation will just force committee members to close ranks as you will not know his comments to them and then your (OP's) true intentions and observations will be lost in the noise. A sad reflection of human nature.

That pretty much how I see the situation

Welcome to the forum !

Toad

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It's a shame your pro just does not give a toss, he should know the rule and really should thank you for highlighting his error.
Thankfully our pro is a rules official on the European tour and has also been a Ryder Cup official so we never have this sort of issue.

One suggestion would be to have an informal rules night once a month with your pro as we do.
He encourages all members to attend and discusses fully certain rules queries that we may have, as well as covering other aspects of the rules. This could be a way to educate the young pro to avoid any further errors in future.