Flightscope vs Top Tracer

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
At my local club (of which I am not a member) they have just installed Top Tracer in all the driving range bays. Prior to this I recently did a gapping session there with one of the pros on their flight scope system. When I went on the range I found the top tracer was consistently a club out, i.e. the yardages it was telling for my 8 iron were the same as my 9 iron from flight scope. I used the same range balls fore both sessions and was hitting in the same direction, so these factors can be discounted.

Anybody have any ideas as to why this could be, as I am now very confused as to my real yardages!

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Range balls versus your own balls. But as you know your distances you can benchmark them now and you can follow changes. I like it a lot, but I have never done proper gapping.

happyhacker

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Flightscope is a more detailed radar based flight tracking setup in most guises. It's more akin to trackman in accuracy.

Top Tracer is cool but more of a range toy to provide visual feedback when bashing balls. I believe it uses cameras to estimate the ball flight numbers.

I'd base my yardages off Flightscope personally.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Any numbers are better than no numbers, as long as they error is consistent then you can adjust.

If you found out on the course it’s a club out or 10 yards out the just adjust your data.

As long as they are consistent they will be a useful tool indeed! Far better than having nothing at all.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Flightscope MAY have had an allowance built in for the 'range' balls, while Top Tracer MAY not have.

Range MAY have changed style of balls.

Weather (from time) conditions MAY have affected distance.

You MAY be hitting more wimpishly! ;)

It's never really smart to use range balls to establish 'on course' results. Better to hit into a net with the style of ball you intend to use on the course. Flightscope certainly only needs a few yards to capture the data necessary to calculate results.