Flight Tracking

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Went on flight tracker this morning as there’s a plane going back & forth over where we live, turns out some sort of survey company.

Then I got curious as to what else is up there, not much, as expected really.

There are however quite a few flights over Britain tracking Germany to US, particularly Frankfurt to Chicago. Struck me as strange.

Weirdly addictive website !!

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Agree entirely. I use flight radar24. Find it really interesting.

It also shows arrivals and departures at Airports. Mrs 3OTT has become involved telling me where planes are going.

Not many seem to have stopped over USA although the skies over Spain are empty apart from flights mainly from other countries to S. America.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
On another site there was someone showing the tracking on a map.

Definitely surveying, obviously taking advantage of of the lack of planes flying at the moment.

Some companies use this as a way of identifying potential building plots and others to knock at your door and ask if if you would like to buy an aerial photograph of your property.

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
On another site there was someone showing the tracking on a map.

Definitely surveying, obviously taking advantage of of the lack of planes flying at the moment.

Some companies use this as a way of identifying potential building plots and others to knock at your door and ask if if you would like to buy an aerial photograph of your property.
This particular company is based in Liverpool. As a Mancunian that’s enough to make me suspicious :ROFLMAO:

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Could Frankfurt be a hub for a courier company? A DHL, ups etc. It would not explain lots of flights but it would explain some to the us.

A lot of courier companies are apparently using scheduled commercial passenger flights which are empty to transport goods.

Frankfurt is a major European hub connecting Europe and the Middle East with the US so no surprise that there's a lot of activity from there.

For those wanting a more sedate pace, there are equivalent sites showing maritime movements. ?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Could Frankfurt be a hub for a courier company? A DHL, ups etc. It would not explain lots of flights but it would explain some to the us.

Our global warehouse, before retirement, was moved to Frankfurt so that it was near DHL. I could order a part up to 10pm at night and have it by 6am in the following morning.

Wolf

Visit site
Frankfurts (Rhein-Main-Flughafen) Airport is busiest Cargo freight airport in mainland Europe, not sure of recent figures but when I was last out there it recorded something like 2 million metric tonnes of cargo a year. Its also home to some big players in logistics so is a literal hub for transit of goods and won't be slowing down.

Its also bloody huge one of the longest runway taxi I've ever been on flights literally queue in ridiculous numbers to land and take off.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
My flat is right under the final approach for Heathrow when the wind blows from west. (95% of the time) I'm often out on the balcony watching them come in.

You can get super nerdy, and set up your amazon echo to tell you the flight information on request!

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
My flat is right under the final approach for Heathrow when the wind blows from west. (95% of the time) I'm often out on the balcony watching them come in.

You can get super nerdy, and set up your amazon echo to tell you the flight information on request!
Until 18 months ago I used to live if Brentford and could see them coming in over Kew Gardens when they were already lined up. Quite a nice view, and too far away to get the noise.
Now in Hampton I can see them starting if they go towards London and turn right immediately.

As for Cargo, I only learned recently that we ship in the cargo hole of BA passenger flights. No idea what we are doing now, but somehow we still ship to the US.