Flicking at the ball

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just had an hour lesson with my coach at the "World of Golf" good to see my swing slowed own on video. I am up and down on a great line but flicking at the ball through impact forcing me to either draw or hook the ball.

My coach has got me syncing my arms and body together whilst getting my arms forward at impact.
My post is to see if anyone else or has gone through this problem and what drills they used.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
My pro has got me getting my hands forward although we focussed more at address with a nice straight line through my left arm and down the shaft.

We worked on keeping my arms and body in sync with a partially inflated beachball but as that looked a bit silly I got a powerband like this.

http://www.golfonline.co.uk/longridge-power-band-p-225.html

Basically it restricts the length of backswing and keeps your arms close to the body and with a bit of practice gets the arms and body swinging together. The fact that it keeps everything together leads to a shorter, more compact swing (and follow through) but a more powerful motion through the hitting area. Because the arms are held in place it becomes very hard for the right hand to become dominant and turn over through impact putting the hook spin on the ball.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site

Blimey.....BIG Scandal....the picture (underneath) of the blokey with a blue "powerband" is actually nicked direct from the izzo website and their product "smooth swing".....I wonder if izzo know, or is it in fact the same product knowingly approved by izzo.

I have one of these (mainly for warming up) I like it.....

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Crazy this post as I intended to ask you about this product homer.

I went to the range today and videod my swing.

I am trying to keep the arms close to the body and stop my right elbow from flying. This is resulting in me not getting the left arm high enough (as dave very kindly demonstrated by pictures a while ago)

I am desperate to get that left arm higher and straighter but when I try it, it all goes to pot and I feel as though my arms repel from each other.

Will this band keep my arms close together and allow me to get the right elbow higher taking my left arm higher?

I have a video I made tonight but its about 3 mins long, if I figure out how to cut it down I will post it.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I know a sure-fire fix....but some common sense is needed to work it through....or you might either injure or kill yourself.

Keen to know more?

Are you ready with that credit card number?

Next time you see a broken club in a bin, rescue the shaft. Cut a length of it (1/3-1/2) and stick it in the butt end of your 9 iron. Take it to the range and V.V.SLOWLY start swinging with it. You'll need to have your hands well ahead at address and then get your hands well in front of you before "impact".

Try it WITHOUT a ball, it's just for feel only!!!

If you want to try a full swing and hit a ball, make sure you have 999 ready to go on your mobile.

Seriously, a bit of this (it's an old chipping drill) will get you on the right track!

:)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The band will certainly stop the rght elbow flying and should promote much more of a feeling of the arms and the body working together. Because it restricts the backswing you can get an instant feeling when you have taken it back too far.

I think for less than £10 it is a decent piece of kit. I always slip it in the bag when I go to the range and find after hitting a dozen or so balls with it on that I can really feel the difference without it and that the swing stays smoother and the rhythm is much smoother and I get a few extra yards

ricardodaintino

Head Pro
Visit site
So a nice tight knot tied into my scarf around the arms could be a nice homemade alternative to the beachball? I see how this would restrict your backswing?

How long did it take you homer before it started to feel natural, it looks very akward!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It was very hard to start with but it did get easier. It is actually a lot easier with the swing band as somehow it seems more natural. If you go with a beach ball you only want a small one and not fully inflated. The idea is to only create a triangle between your arms and the body and maintain this with the arms resisting against the ball.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
That wasn't for my benefit was it Dave?

No....none of it!

Always confuses the issue when we just "reply" because it looks as if the reply was to the last poster!!

Yes I was certainly confused, I thought, as good a drill as it sounds how will it help me! :D