Fleetwood's Crazy Year So Far

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
Funny he's still using the Nike gear. You'd think given his year one the big sponsors would of snapped him up.

looking like another win under the belt here (hopefully)

Surely it won't be long.
Playing some cracking golf.
Maybe they're waiting for him to get s haircut
I believe he's tried all the clubs he wanted, but went back to the Nike stuff as that gave him the best numbers with his ball of choice.
These guys are more bothered about the ball than equipment.

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I believe he's tried all the clubs he wanted, but went back to the Nike stuff as that gave him the best numbers with his ball of choice.
These guys are more bothered about the ball than equipment.

I wonder, for a golfer of Tommy's level, playing pretty much every day of the week with practice etc, how long his irons and wedges will last him? Surely come the end of the year he'll have to go to a new manufacturer because his clubs will be literally wearing out?

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I wonder, for a golfer of Tommy's level, playing pretty much every day of the week with practice etc, how long his irons and wedges will last him? Surely come the end of the year he'll have to go to a new manufacturer because his clubs will be literally wearing out?

Im sure if he liked the gear so much he would of stocked up on clubs when Nike pulled the plug. In fact, surely he has at least 2 or 3 sets knocking around incase of mishaps

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

I would never have believed that until I played in a corporate pro-am a couple of years ago, just local pro's. The guy I was with was given his set at the beginning of the season by his club sponsor and by September, when our comp was, the grooves had virtually disappeared on his short irons and wedges. If his were like that, he played low level national comps probably Euro pro at best, then who knows how long a set would last a pro like Fleetwood.

In fact, there is a good question. How long does a set last a top pro? I know wedges get changed very regularly, weeks or a couple of months, but what about irons?

One of the advantages of being a bit rubbish is that I don't hit the centre of the club with clear regularity meaning my clubs will take a very long time to wear down :D

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would never have believed that until I played in a corporate pro-am a couple of years ago, just local pro's. The guy I was with was given his set at the beginning of the season by his club sponsor and by September, when our comp was, the grooves had virtually disappeared on his short irons and wedges. If his were like that, he played low level national comps probably Euro pro at best, then who knows how long a set would last a pro like Fleetwood.

In fact, there is a good question. How long does a set last a top pro? I know wedges get changed very regularly, weeks or a couple of months, but what about irons?

One of the advantages of being a bit rubbish is that I don't hit the centre of the club with clear regularity meaning my clubs will take a very long time to wear down :D

I guess as DaveMC1 said above, maybe he has a handful of sets he can use, to see him through this season. I imagine he has a shed full of wedges as he must go through them quickly!!

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Pretty sure even when it comes to the point of no Nike stock is left, Fleetwood will find something to use. Does anyone know how long Fleetwood has left on the Nike contract?

As I understood it, all Nike contracts for clubs were ended the moment they announced they were pulling out the club making market. Hence why some people like Casey made the switch to new clubs almost immediately. Maybe they knew in advance of the announcement to the market?

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I really dont think Fleetwood will quit the Nike's,he must have been inundated with offers from club manufacturers after his recent success but is playing so well with them why change!.

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site

He could but a groove sharpener :rolleyes:

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
How is Fleetwood having enough Nike clubs even a discussion

He could have 100 sets if he wanted, maybe he does.

He could have the machine that makes them if he wanted, maybe he does

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
As I understood it, all Nike contracts for clubs were ended the moment they announced they were pulling out the club making market. Hence why some people like Casey made the switch to new clubs almost immediately. Maybe they knew in advance of the announcement to the market?

Would seem fair enough. I'm sure there will be a lot of Nike clubs around but do they still have a tour van etc so what happens if Fleetwood needs a club repaired or adjusted

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Would seem fair enough. I'm sure there will be a lot of Nike clubs around but do they still have a tour van etc so what happens if Fleetwood needs a club repaired or adjusted

They have tour vans which every player can use

Nike don't have secret machines

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
They have tour vans which every player can use

Nike don't have secret machines

No one is saying that so no need to repeat your same reply. However how many of these vans would still carry a full Nike range as standard. It's a simple question as I was wondering what Fleetwood and any other Nike players still using the clubs do for replacement heads etc.

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
No one is saying that so no need to repeat your same reply. However how many of these vans would still carry a full Nike range as standard. It's a simple question as I was wondering what Fleetwood and any other Nike players still using the clubs do for replacement heads etc.

Theres plently of club builders out there who could fettle with Fleetwoods clubs and the stock is still available.Why are people on here thinking big contracts and tour vans as it doesent look like Tommy is.

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Didn't Stenson use the same 3 wood for about 10 years or something

Fleetwood staying with his Nike clubs not really an issue in terms of hurting future performance

Only reason he would move is for the money

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Some feisty replies here and I'm not sure why. Do grooves on woods wear out? They do on irons. No one is suggesting that Fleetwood moves for money. The points being made are that as Nike are no longer producing clubs how many clubs is he likely to need stashed away to see him through the next couple of years. No one is criticising him, they are genuine questions out of interest that people are asking.