Flags and Rakes

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
From today, we will be able to remove the flag and rake bunkers, although still be able to lift and place in the bunker for those who don't feel comfortable touching rakes. I wonder how many will be doing this.
That sounds silly to me. I'd carry on taking pick and place then if I'm given the option - why wouldn't you? :LOL: The logic doesn't even make sense, in reality you're getting pick and place because somebody else wasn't comfortable touching a rake? Might as well keep it pick and place for everyone then.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Forget flags and rakes, ball washers are back :love:. I'd forgotten about their return but it was highlighted on another thread. I know you can wet your towel etc but I don't like that. Very happy to have them back in use.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
That sounds silly to me. I'd carry on taking pick and place then if I'm given the option - why wouldn't you? :LOL: The logic doesn't even make sense, in reality you're getting pick and place because somebody else wasn't comfortable touching a rake? Might as well keep it pick and place for everyone then.
Exactly, why risk a plugged ball when yo can place it nicely in the bunker? Seems stupid to me, have one rule for everyone - unless Boris and Rishi are members at your club :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Reactions: AAC

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
We have our own rakes, so bunkers not a problem. Really looking forward to taking flag out for shorter putts. Assume I will be the boss of the moss again.:unsure:

With the current weather I am hoping the water fountains will be back. Fed up with carrying large water bottles.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Exactly, why risk a plugged ball when yo can place it nicely in the bunker? Seems stupid to me, have one rule for everyone - unless Boris and Rishi are members at your club :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
If everyone had the same options re pick and place in a bunker, it's up to the individual to decide what's best for him. If it's a knock about so what. If it's a Comp surely you want to do the best within the confines of the rules. And if it allows you to move it without penalty. Wheres the problem. Exactly as Mr neilds says ?

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Not worried about the rake rule as I have my own rake with foldable head that I've been using for over a year now.
Flags in or out is a different thing for me. I had both examples of the good and the bad of the flag being in on Saturday. I had a long putt on our 13th from off the green which hit the pin dead on and went in. Without the pin it would probably have gone over the cup. A few holes later I had one not go in as it caught the flag but I'd have bet any money it would have gone in with the flag out. From distances, I don't mind the flag being in. Close up, I still prefer it being out.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Not worried about the rake rule as I have my own rake with foldable head that I've been using for over a year now.
Flags in or out is a different thing for me. I had both examples of the good and the bad of the flag being in on Saturday. I had a long putt on our 13th from off the green which hit the pin dead on and went in. Without the pin it would probably have gone over the cup. A few holes later I had one not go in as it caught the flag but I'd have bet any money it would have gone in with the flag out. From distances, I don't mind the flag being in. Close up, I still prefer it being out.

Re the flag in, ave heard a few players mention that when putting close. They may well leave the flag in as there focus is the flag. Not the holes.

Sobel

Visit site
As someone who started golf during Covid restrictions, should I be removing flags when putting? I can't remember having any issue with them being in? In fact there have been times an overhit putt has hit the flag and dropped. I guess on a windy day with the flag being pushed over in one direction it could cause a putt not to go in?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
As someone who started golf during Covid restrictions, should I be removing flags when putting? I can't remember having any issue with them being in? In fact there have been times an overhit putt has hit the flag and dropped. I guess on a windy day with the flag being pushed over in one direction it could cause a putt not to go in?
Entirely up to you. Personally the moment the laws were changed to allow flags to be left in I have barely removed a flag since (forget covid times when you had no option).

For others it messes with their heads and they like them out, it changes how they see the hole. 99% of putts that people claim would have gone in had it not been for the pin were likely to have been over hit and would not have dropped anyway. I guess it's good to have something else to blame though.

Your choice, whatever you feel comfortable with.

D-S

Visit site
Sounds like a recipe for disaster having some picking and placing and not raking and others playing in a comp not able to do so. This should be all or notHing, if you don’t want to touch a communal rake then bring your own.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
As I understand it only England Golf have fully rescinded the COVID rules. Thus for a round to be acceptable for handicap purposes (Comp or General Play) there is no placing in bunkers and no relief from yardage / Penalty Area stakes. Cards also have to be counter-signed if that is your club's practice.

I presume CONGU will publicise the same when other home unions conform to their country COVID rules being lifted.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
We're back to pre covid golf. Personal rakes available in pro shop, option to leave flags in as per rules of golf

For comps cards must be submitted, but should be easy enough to get around.

So I cant really see a reason to complain, no matter what side of the line you fall...

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
We went back to flags out and rakes a few weeks ago when SG said it was advisory. I think Weare keeping the relief in bunkers as people still have the option not to rake and after the last few games notmany are raking by the looks of it. I believe we will have ball waters and shoe cleaner back this week too.