Flags and Rakes

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
First comp today under the 'new' old rules, it was heavenly. Smashing a short one into the back of the hole, fearless I was. And the sound of the ball hitting the bottom of the cup, brought tears to my eyes.

They can keep their rakes though. Found a bunker on the first. The ball was sat on sand that looked like it had been raked by the greens staff earlier. Turns out it was only a comb over though, zero sand under the ball resulting in a thin completely over the green.

Many of our bunkers are like that. Which is great if you know which part of which bunkers. But they are so inconsistent.

I'd much prefer them to be firm with just a bit of sand. Its much easier to judge and control the ball than from deep fluffy sand.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Played a few holes this pm. Rakes back and lifters removed from flags (I was thinking they’d be retained). It felt very weird picking my ball out of the hole…

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We used to have one but it was 'discarded' as it brought too much poor quality sand to the surface. The natural soil is sand based.
Yes thinking about it I havnt seen it used for a long time.
We have them bloody awful felt linings in ours it’s almost impossible to play a proper bunker shot without hitting the lining.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Having a bit of a chuckle at people not liking the end of PL in the bunkers.

Can hear all the old school folks saying, "it's a hazard, why should you expect a good lie?", "shouldn't be in there" etc. ???

Did anyone notice how immaculately raked the bunkers were at the Open? Lovely they were.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk

Can hear all the old school folks saying, "it's a hazard, why should you expect a good lie?", "shouldn't be in there" etc. ???

Did anyone notice how immaculately raked the bunkers were at the Open? Lovely they were.
Our bunkers are top notch at the moment - the greenkeepers are obviously preparing them well and players raking them with a bit of care.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site

Rakes back out at ours but you can still have a preferred lie if you want, the rationale being some folk might not want to rake the bunker because they don't want to touch the rakes.

And you can have the flags out now as well if you want.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Rakes back out at ours but you can still have a preferred lie if you want, the rationale being some folk might not want to rake the bunker because they don't want to touch the rakes.

And you can have the flags out now as well if you want.

That's the SG guidance.
I'm off to Pitreavie today, will see what they are doing there - if the member knows that is. ?

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Ah, the sound of the ball dropping to the bottom of the hole when I holed a 10-footer for par on the first with the flag out yesterday - joy to my ears!

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just received an email from the club, they are introducing a local rule to keep lift and place in all bunkers as the greens staff haven't been able to complete the maintenance required, Club Championships this weekend too!

Bunkers aside the course is in the best condition in recent memory.

Mandofred

Visit site
Played Monday and again today at 2 different courses.....no mention from any of the people I've played with to even take the flag out. The flags we have on the course today are pretty wide/thick.....if they were the narrow at the bottom style I wouldn't care if we ever took the flags out again.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Get one of those attachments old folk have on their putter handle to retrieve ball :oops:
They won't work with the flag in....and im not taking it out...
Its weird, you get used to something new, like holes with foam in, and when they're gone it feels strange...give it a week and we'll have forgotten all about lifters and foam and stuff.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
They won't work with the flag in....and im not taking it out...
Its weird, you get used to something new, like holes with foam in, and when they're gone it feels strange...give it a week and we'll have forgotten all about lifters and foam and stuff.
You sure - my missus has arthritis in one knee and has struggled at times to get down enough to lift the ball out of the hole - she's got a clip that flips open attached to her putter and has been using it to retrieve the ball with the flag in.

Clip she's got is something like this one on amazon - link

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I did the bunkers today , they were raked before me aswell

Left every flag in

Just used to it now and have always been one to prefer them in