Fittings at ping Gainsborough

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
:whistle:
Just to be clear, i dont have an opinion about strike boards one way or the other.
However, in post #23, you mocked Teebs for suggesting they didnt check lie angle, saying it was the crux of their fitting. If this is true, surely they wont just use a static measurement to determibe lie angle.
You then stated that strike boards are inaccurate, despite the fact that Bobmac posted a video of Wayne Riley being fitted at Gainsborough and part of the process being him having his lie checked on a strikeboard.
I also posted an article from Ping which supported the use of strikeboards to which you replied i was being selective.

I'm trying to understand whether you think the Ping fitting process is flawed if they use a strikeboard and how you think they should be checking 'the crux of their fitting process'

The answer is clear read my reply re difference between +3 upright to -2 flat.

I was fitted by Ping two weeks ago - guess what - no lie board. Static measurements and GC Quad info only - surprise surprise I came iut with blue dot. Same colour code I have had for over 27 years........

I believe the research that shows them to be a flawed. You may and can opt to chose differently.

For the record Ping use your static measurements for there baseline to fit you for lie. So yes I'm calling BS on they didn't check the lie. The trackman/GC Quad data and ball flight by eye will tell them straight away if tweaking is required.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Last try....
How are lie boards flawed?

I've already answered that - look at the dynamic impact position when you change lie angles. Look at other responses Bob. Why are Ping not routinely using them? Why do guy's like Scott Gourlay (best known fitter in Scotland I can think of) not use them?

I accept you're an old school pro - do you question the "new" ball flight laws as well or do you accept them?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
So an impact board and tape do not show which part of the sole of the club hits the board?
Got you.
I'm out

lol.

Stuck in the 80's.

Toe down - heel down can still promote a straight shot. Impact tape will show it's not a "correct hit" so lets adjust the lie angle throwing the straight shot off. Yip that's ok because that bit of tape says so.

And the turf is exactly like a plastic impact board is it?

lol lol

Wonder if I should cancel my Ping order since they didn't use a impact board to confirm what GC Quad and static measurements showed to be optimal.

Likewise I'm out.

Yorkhacker

Visit site
lol.

Stuck in the 80's.

Toe down - heel down can still promote a straight shot. Impact tape will show it's not a "correct hit" so lets adjust the lie angle throwing the straight shot off. Yip that's ok because that bit of tape says so.

And the turf is exactly like a plastic impact board is it?

lol lol

Wonder if I should cancel my Ping order since they didn't use a impact board to confirm what GC Quad and static measurements showed to be optimal.

Likewise I'm out.

Wow, contradictory much. Youve used one example to categorically support your whole argument that strike boards are inaccurate, yet accuse me of being selective, despite the fact that Ping do use them and have them at their European fitting centre. Not every time, but they're not there for decoration.

You then state that by using GC quad it is 100% accurate, forgetting that you were hitting off a mat that is not the same as turf.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Wow, contradictory much. Youve used one example to categorically support your whole argument that strike boards are inaccurate, yet accuse me of being selective, despite the fact that Ping do use them and have them at their European fitting centre. Not every time, but they're not there for decoration.

You then state that by using GC quad it is 100% accurate, forgetting that you were hitting off a mat that is not the same as turf.

Aye they are there from the 1990's probably.

GC quad is the most accurate out there and certainly more so than a strike board. Again like I said previously - you wish to think differently please do so.

Also I've not used "one" example please reread my posts.

I wonder how Srixon, Titleist, TM, etc all fit?? Wonder how many of them will use a strike board? I wonder if any of the independents use them......

Hopefully you find a fitter than can rely on a bit of impact tape.

?

Yorkhacker

Visit site
Aye they are there from the 1990's probably.

GC quad is the most accurate out there and certainly more so than a strike board. Again like I said previously - you wish to think differently please do so.

Also I've not used "one" example please reread my posts.

I wonder how Srixon, Titleist, TM, etc all fit?? Wonder how many of them will use a strike board? I wonder if any of the independents use them......

Hopefully you find a fitter than can rely on a bit of impact tape.

?

Maybe you should re-read my posts, as ive clearly stated that i got fitted at Ping Europe on Friday and they didnt use a strike board.
Ive also clearly stated that i dont have an opinion about strike boards one way or the other merely that Ping do use them as demonstrated in the video Bobmac posted.
You mocked Teebs without giving him an explanation (that they would have checked the lie without him realising) and you categorically stated that lie boards ARE inaccurate not that they CAN BE inaccurate.
If you werent so condescending and patronising, we wouldnt be having this 'argument'.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site

Hmmmmm - fitting this year at Gainsborough. Measurements taken to ascertain"lie" - hitting off "a mat" - trackman data - not a strike board in sight......

Best of all it's been done by the Ping Custom Fit Manager.

Not sure how else you would like to fit - of course other than hitting off a plastic board and looking at the bit of paper.

As I have said all along research shows they can give inaccurate results hence why they are very rarely used. Feel free to disagree - as I said to Bob I'm out.

(and yes the person who says they wery not fitted for lie - lol)

Yorkhacker

Visit site

Hmmmmm - fitting this year at Gainsborough. Measurements taken to ascertain"lie" - hitting off "a mat" - trackman data - not a strike board in sight......

Best of all it's been done by the Ping Custom Fit Manager.

Not sure how else you would like to fit - of course other than hitting off a plastic board and looking at the bit of paper.

As I have said all along research shows they can give inaccurate results hence why they are very rarely used. Feel free to disagree - as I said to Bob I'm out.

(and yes the person who says they wery not fitted for lie - lol)

Thanks for backing up my previous statement about you being patronising and condescending. I'd add a few other terms, but they'd only get edited out by the mods.

D

Deleted member 1147

I've had fittings where they used a board, where they draw a line on the ball, where they use Trackman.
I don't know which works best, or doesn't work correctly, but at the end of the fitting I aim for the ball to be going in the desired direction with the desired launch, spin, height, etc etc etc

Swango1980

Visit site
Well, I came on here as I've my first ever fitting at PING Gainsborough next Friday. Interested to know what the experience is like. Some useful comments early on. Though, as I continued through the thread, I've no idea how I'll react if I see them get the Impact Board out, or even if they don't get it out? Perhaps I can use most of the time discussing the pros and cons of using Impact Boards, obviously a complex subject with many details :)

Newtonuti

Visit site
Well, I came on here as I've my first ever fitting at PING Gainsborough next Friday. Interested to know what the experience is like. Some useful comments early on. Though, as I continued through the thread, I've no idea how I'll react if I see them get the Impact Board out, or even if they don't get it out? Perhaps I can use most of the time discussing the pros and cons of using Impact Boards, obviously a complex subject with many details :)

Yep, the thread's just turned into a war, like most threads nowadays on here.

Yorkhacker

Visit site
Yep, the thread's just turned into a war, like most threads nowadays on here.
Id hardly call it a war, unlike many threads. It was all fairly polite on both sides i thought. I may have used the terms patronising and condescending, but i was feeling frustrated by the dismissive attitude towards me, when it was clear from my posts that i was neutral in the debate.

Teebs

Visit site

What are you being fitted for?
I was there recently, positive experience on the whole. I did order a different spec to what was recommended in the end, but only really going for a lighter shaft as the one fitted at Gainsborough was potentially a little stout long term and in the longer irons. You will use TrackMan and Pro V1s so that does help to see a correct ball flight (as opposed to average range balls). Try and get there early as they'll give you a range token to warm up before hand which is helpful in this weather.
The shop will give you a quote for anything you're looking to order. I did order elsewhere but the shop emailed me afterwards to suggest they could price match other places, guess it depends whether you want to give your Club Pro the business (NA in my case). Would go back there, tempted with the G430 driver but need to stop spending..

Swango1980

Visit site
What are you being fitted for?
I was there recently, positive experience on the whole. I did order a different spec to what was recommended in the end, but only really going for a lighter shaft as the one fitted at Gainsborough was potentially a little stout long term and in the longer irons. You will use TrackMan and Pro V1s so that does help to see a correct ball flight (as opposed to average range balls). Try and get there early as they'll give you a range token to warm up before hand which is helpful in this weather.
The shop will give you a quote for anything you're looking to order. I did order elsewhere but the shop emailed me afterwards to suggest they could price match other places, guess it depends whether you want to give your Club Pro the business (NA in my case). Would go back there, tempted with the G430 driver but need to stop spending..
I've used PINGS for years, but never been custom fitted. I have the PING G driver (American Golf), and i15 irons (golf bidder). The 9 iron has had a missing weight for years, and I think one of the irons also is a different colour dot.

Primarily, I want to get a custom fit driver, and iron set. Not just well fitted (lie, shaft flexibility, weight, etc), but make sure I have good gapping. Maybe see if I need hybrid type clubs instead of low numbered irons. Currently I have driver, 3 wood and then 3 iron. Big difference for me in distance between 3 wood and 3 iron, mainly because I'm awful at striking 3 iron to 5 iron.

I've a 60, 56 and 52 wedges (along with a standard PW), so I'll probably just keep them, but get regripped. And will keep the 3w given I don't use it a massive amount anyway.

I'll definitely need to warm up. Been out for a few weeks with a knee injury, plus golf course closures. So not played much at all.

O yeah, I'll probably do the business through our golf pro. He is the one who booked me into the fitting at Gainsborough.

Teebs

Visit site
Sounds like a good plan and the gapping idea is solid. I don't bother with a 3 or 4 iron anymore - hit a hybrid more consistently, higher and straighter than any iron below a 5.
A few of us here have been fitted into the new i230s which would be worth a look, but see what they say and how you hit them obviously.

Swango1980

Visit site
Well, finally had my fitting at Gainsborough. First thing I found out that when they did the static measurement, I should be white dot (3 degrees upright). My current clubs were black dot (neutral). So, quite a bit flatter than what the static measurement would suggest.

Because of my unusual swing, where I really bring my hands low and inside (and tend to fat and hook it), they only wanted to test me on black dot, as a more upright club would make that worse. I get that, although I couldn't help but think my swing has been a result of having poorly fitted clubs in the first place.

Anyway, they gave me recommendations (with black dot). I went to my club pro to discuss thinking about a more upright club, and would it help my swing. Did a few tests, including dynamic lie board. Once I felt like I could swing a bit more upright (shaft into ball), I did feel a lot more natural and had more space. Impact was pretty decent. So, we decided to go for green dot (1 level flatter than white dot).

So, I have bought:

Irons: i230 4-PW (DynamicGold 105 S300 Shaft)
Hybrid: G430 19 degrees (3 hybrid) (TOUR 2.0 85g Stiff Shaft)
Driver: G430 (Same shaft as hybrid)

Got the irons and hybrid within a week. However, the driver is not expected to be delivered until early April