Fittings at ping Gainsborough

Yorkhacker

Visit site
Strike boards are inaccurate and that's been proven.
I wasnt suggesting otherwise. You stated that lie angle is the very crux of their fitting process. If that is the case, just using a static measurement would seem to contradict this.

Yorkhacker

Visit site
Nice, very similar to mine but went for the DG 120. Not sure of the set configuration you're ordering but I opted for the gap wedge in the set and it's brilliant - well worth the purchase..
Thats what I'm going for. The pro will match Snainton golf, and I'm happy to give him the business. Im hoping they'll arrive before the end of next week. Theres only a 2-3 day turnaround atm apparently.

Jason.H

Visit site
I had a Ping fitting in 2002 for i3 irons. I’d not long been playing and had developed a slice, the fitter put me 3 degrees upright to straighten out the flight. The problem then is that as I improved my swing I started missing left and divots shown they were too upright and as the heel dug in the turf the club would turn over.
I sold them on after 6 months and fitting then on all had me at standard lie and nice even divots. I,d recommend the strike board over masking a slice or hook. Lessons are for that.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I wasnt suggesting otherwise. You stated that lie angle is the very crux of their fitting process. If that is the case, just using a static measurement would seem to contradict this.
They may be getting the dynamic lie angle from the launch monitor
GC Quad can capture that, Trackman probably can too.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
When I got fitted at Gainsborough, based on the measurements they took it was assumed that I would need 1 degree flat. Using the strike board it came out at 1 degree upright.

A couple of years later a Ping mobile fitter looked at me and said that they must have got the lie angle wrong because of my height and we tried the strike board again. Same result.

How accurate the strike board is I don’t know, but when I am striking the ball well I get a slight draw.

I have more recently started to stand slightly closer to the ball, which has improved the strike (more consistent) and that may make me more neutral as regards lie angle. I am hoping to get fitted for some new irons soon so I will get this looked at.

Skytot

Visit site
Did you use the Mizuno gizmo that suggests shafts etc.?
If so that can pick up lie angle too....
Yes, the shaft optimizer. I’ve no idea if it picks that up . I will try and post a photo of what the optimizer data was for me . Perhaps someone with more knowledge of the optimizer will tell us . Just need to work out how to post a photo ?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site

We can all be selective.

However its very widely acknowledged that dynamic impact position changes only ever so slightly and has been proven. It's very very minimal. Strike board is also not consistent with turf interaction.

You are welcome to your own opinions on what it does/doesn't offer. I guess it comes down to what you believe in - a bit like spine alignment and puring.

Some good articles on it including a pro who is 3 degrees upright fitting and his impact/strike pattern doesn't change when he goes to 2 degrees flat.

Yorkhacker

Visit site
We can all be selective.

However its very widely acknowledged that dynamic impact position changes only ever so slightly and has been proven. It's very very minimal. Strike board is also not consistent with turf interaction.

You are welcome to your own opinions on what it does/doesn't offer. I guess it comes down to what you believe in - a bit like spine alignment and puring.

Some good articles on it including a pro who is 3 degrees upright fitting and his impact/strike pattern doesn't change when he goes to 2 degrees flat.

Just to be clear, i dont have an opinion about strike boards one way or the other.
However, in post #23, you mocked Teebs for suggesting they didnt check lie angle, saying it was the crux of their fitting. If this is true, surely they wont just use a static measurement to determibe lie angle.
You then stated that strike boards are inaccurate, despite the fact that Bobmac posted a video of Wayne Riley being fitted at Gainsborough and part of the process being him having his lie checked on a strikeboard.
I also posted an article from Ping which supported the use of strikeboards to which you replied i was being selective.

I'm trying to understand whether you think the Ping fitting process is flawed if they use a strikeboard and how you think they should be checking 'the crux of their fitting process'

Teebs

Visit site
Just to be clear, i dont have an opinion about strike boards one way or the other.
However, in post #23, you mocked Teebs for suggesting they didnt check lie angle, saying it was the crux of their fitting. If this is true, surely they wont just use a static measurement to determibe lie angle.
You then stated that strike boards are inaccurate, despite the fact that Bobmac posted a video of Wayne Riley being fitted at Gainsborough and part of the process being him having his lie checked on a strikeboard.
I also posted an article from Ping which supported the use of strikeboards to which you replied i was being selective.

I'm trying to understand whether you think the Ping fitting process is flawed if they use a strikeboard and how you think they should be checking 'the crux of their fitting process'

I'm trying to work out why he thinks I lied about a fitting process that he wasn't present at.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
There's a big difference between false/inaccurate readings and incorrect fittings.

This is a good video of how a strike board can give incorrect fittings...

Totally agree but the argument was the board wasn't accurate and didn't show what the lie angle was at impact.
In fact, after he bent the club, the marking moved from the toe to the centre, proving the lie angle was now neutral but the club was closed, possibly due to the players slightly strong grip.
So fix the grip or get the fitting toe down to improve the clubface through impact.
2 wrongs can make right

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Use of lie board isnt the be all and end all, from the txg example, if the lie board says you are slightly toe down, but your ripping everything straight at the flag, why would you change it?. Similarly, if your lie board tells you your perfectly flat, but you push everything 10 yards, why wouldnt you change it? A decent fitter would be able to tell easily from your swing and your ball flight how lie angle needs adjusting, and would be able to confirm with trackman data.

Theyd also be able to point out, the number of perfectly flat lies you get on a course is close to zero....