Fittings at ping Gainsborough

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I was fitted there for i230s in December. I ended up not using their spec (DGS300 / 1 degree upright) and got re-fitted at Snainton and ordered DG120s / 1 degree flat. Not sure what that says about the Ping fitting but in all fairness, your swing and shaft choice may differ from day to day anyway.

The Ping fitting and set up is very good, Trackman & ProV1 as the equipment / balls.

Having used the new irons at the driving range, the Snainton fit was the right spec, especially in the longer irons where the heavier shaft may have been a mistake. The flatter lie angle has helped to remove my over-draw shot..

You went against the "experts" at Ping in favour of a store fitting!

?????

Teebs

Visit site
You went against the "experts" at Ping in favour of a store fitting!

?????

I'd suggest 'experts' is pushing it. The 'experts' didn't bother with checking lie angles (which Snainton did). The experts also didn't consider a heavier shaft in longer irons may not be optimal.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I'd suggest 'experts' is pushing it. The 'experts' didn't bother with checking lie angles (which Snainton did). The experts also didn't consider a heavier shaft in longer irons may not be optimal.

Ping didn't check kie angle - aye very good. Its the crux of their fitting.

Skytot

Visit site
Surprised Ping charge. No charge at the Callaway Performance Centre at St.Andrews for a 90 minute session. Zero hard sell either as the people work for St.Andrews not Callaway.
Mizuno performance centre at Birkdale also charge but is refundable if you purchase off them

Yorkhacker

Visit site
Ping didn't check kie angle - aye very good. Its the crux of their fitting.
I went for my fitting at Ping yesterday and they only checked the lie angle statically, i.e. height and hand distance to floor. They didnt check this with a strike board.

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
I went for my fitting at Ping yesterday and they only checked the lie angle statically, i.e. height and hand distance to floor. They didnt check this with a strike board.

That seems a bit naff doesn’t it? You can measure for that online. I’d thought about going to Gainsborough but I wonder if it’s not all that. Did you ask them why they’re not checking it through strike?

D

Deleted member 29109

Do fitters still use a strike board?

Teebs

Visit site

How did the rest of the fitting go? Did you end up buying anything? ?

Yorkhacker

Visit site
Did you ask them why they’re not checking it through strike?
They put me in a 1° upright head and i used that throughout the session. I hit it really well, so it was obviously the right lie. If there had been any issues around direction, i think they would have checked my strike on a board.

Yorkhacker

Visit site
How did the rest of the fitting go? Did you end up buying anything? ?
Really enjoyed it. Only tried the I230 with 5/6 different shafts. Great club and will definitely be ordering a set today. I could have ordered them there and then, but wanted to think about it overnight.

Also hit G430 driver. ATM i have a 10.5° G410 LST, but was recommended a 9° max with a slightly shorter shaft. I hit it pretty well, but need to take one out on the course to see how it performs against the G410

Teebs

Visit site
Brilliant. What shafts did you go for?
Snainton were the cheapest for me with 5% off 7 irons or more. Delivery within a week..

shane3003

Visit site
I went to Gainsborough for a fitting but this was back in 2019, they took static measurements and then confirmed with the strike board.
I wasn’t having a great time hitting my irons and I wasn’t enjoying it, so we used the time instead on driver and fairway woods.
I recently went for a fitting, in December, for some i230 but not at Gainsborough. Did not take any static measurements and guessed at my lie angle, I’ll give him it that he was correct with blue dot. Unfortunately that was it for me and I didn’t have confidence with the fitting after that start.
I’ve now booked in for a fitting somewhere else for the same irons on Monday.

Yorkhacker

Visit site
Brilliant. What shafts did you go for?
Snainton were the cheapest for me with 5% off 7 irons or more. Delivery within a week..
I was looking at going graphite, but in the end the best was Dynamic Gold 105 in stiff, which is what i have in my G410s.

I saw the Snainton deal so am hoping the club pro will match this price. Should find out later today.

Teebs

Visit site
I was looking at going graphite, but in the end the best was Dynamic Gold 105 in stiff, which is what i have in my G410s.

I saw the Snainton deal so am hoping the club pro will match this price. Should find out later today.

Nice, very similar to mine but went for the DG 120. Not sure of the set configuration you're ordering but I opted for the gap wedge in the set and it's brilliant - well worth the purchase..