Fitting gains.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
It's a new shaft out, specifically made for the TS drivers so there won't many of those kicking around, also my head is 9.5 where I was fitted to a 10.5.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
tricky one then. if you feel its going to benefit you go for it. But the distance you quoted is long enough to get you around most courses with just a short or mid iron for the 2nd shot. one thing i will say though is if you were fitted for this swinging aggressively then that's what you will have to do with it if you get it.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah even our very own Joel T said he found the longer shaft a bit difficult to control on the course since the fitting, I wonder if that's a common flaw, that you're on the range just spanking it without fear of consequence but when you've a narrow target and slow down for accuracy you're not using the shaft the way it was fitted...

I'm trying to talk myself out of going for the fitting :)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah even our very own Joel T said he found the longer shaft a bit difficult to control on the course since the fitting, I wonder if that's a common flaw, that you're on the range just spanking it without fear of consequence but when you've a narrow target and slow down for accuracy you're not using the shaft the way it was fitted...

I'm trying to talk myself out of going for the fitting :)
I think there's truth in that. Just like how the mindset of spanking your driver on the range is not the same mindset as hitting it on the course, where it counts. A fitting is more in line with the range, just smacking it with carefree abandon. I suppose the answer is to take a bit more care at your fitting and really try to ensure you're picturing how you would hit it on the course.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think there's truth in that. Just like how the mindset of spanking your driver on the range is not the same mindset as hitting it on the course, where it counts. A fitting is more in line with the range, just smacking it with carefree abandon. I suppose the answer is to take a bit more care at your fitting and really try to ensure you're picturing how you would hit it on the course.

Sounds like a sound plan. I am so tempted. Like the OP I just got mine off ebay (no fitting). I saw immediate and recognisable gains with it over my Ping G15. I put it down to the R shaft in the Titleist being slightly stiffer than the Ping R. I'm finding the middle of the clubface far more often now and the only bad drive I hit is one where I go after it, it goes high and right. Obviously I should be able to stop myself doing this but easier said than done when you've got a decent carry to make, I might tell myself to go easy but the caveman takes over at the transition! So I've started wondering if a different shaft would allow me to go after it without mercy.

I'm doomed aren't I?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sounds like a sound plan. I am so tempted. Like the OP I just got mine off ebay (no fitting). I saw immediate and recognisable gains with it over my Ping G15. I put it down to the R shaft in the Titleist being slightly stiffer than the Ping R. I'm finding the middle of the clubface far more often now and the only bad drive I hit is one where I go after it, it goes high and right. Obviously I should be able to stop myself doing this but easier said than done when you've got a decent carry to make, I might tell myself to go easy but the caveman takes over at the transition! So I've started wondering if a different shaft would allow me to go after it without mercy.

I'm doomed aren't I?
I also chopped and changed drivers last year, the one I ended up with I noticed a lot of benefits in hitting it straighter, I put that down to the fact it was an inch shorter than standard though. I'm not very well versed in different shafts - mine just has the stock one that the R11-S's came with. But an inch shorter.

I did do a Titleist Thursday fitting before I got it, but it was free and I knew full well that I wouldn't be able to purchase the new Titleist driving I was fitting for. I just took the information to learn that I needed a 12°, with a lighter shaft etc, so made sure I bought one that roughly fit that criteria.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I should have said, the G15 and 915 are the only drivers I've ever owned! So tend not to chop and change as much as I can help it, just wonder if I'd benefit from a fitting now I'm middling it (or close enough!) more often...

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Would like to do a fitting for a driver, but budget constraints prohibit me.

If only somebody did fittings for 4 year old drivers, that would be ideal. I would love to get fitted for a driver that ultimately only costs £100-150 rather than £400.

Take yourself to a range with a Trackman, then hit balls with the club set to different settings. Keep it set to the one that gives you the best results for your swing.

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Interesting idea, but doesn't it suggest you need to work on your course mindset?

If by spanking it, you get the shaft working properly and dispersion is less, then you have to trust yourself to go after it on the course. To my mind, it's a bit like learning to ride a bike, your mind tells you to go slowly to feel safe, but actually, you are more stable going faster.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Interesting idea, but doesn't it suggest you need to work on your course mindset?

If by spanking it, you get the shaft working properly and dispersion is less, then you have to trust yourself to go after it on the course. To my mind, it's a bit like learning to ride a bike, your mind tells you to go slowly to feel safe, but actually, you are more stable going faster.
Yeah, it works both ways. Whichever way round it is, you just need to try and make sure you're hitting it the same way in both scenarios.

That's probably why people lose faith in certain clubs as well. When you've just got it, it's working well, you have that confidence to give it a smack like you did at the range. As soon as it goes wrong once or twice though, you lose a bit of the bravado and start hitting within yourself, and lo and behold it doesn't work as well.

D

Deleted member 21258

Could you see that the carry distance was that much further on the range(rather than just numbers) ? and was it giving you a really high flight which perhaps would not work if you play a windy course ?

I would take the extra 20 or so yards, that's impressive :cool:

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Could you see that the carry distance was that much further on the range(rather than just numbers) ? and was it giving you a really high flight which perhaps would not work if you play a windy course ?

I would take the extra 20 or so yards, that's impressive :cool:

At our range, in the distance we have a tree right in the middle that is 230-235 to carry when you stand in the normal place for hitting, then about 20 behind that it mown grass, then it is jungle. We we forward of where you would normally hit from as it was roped off so possibly 10 on from that spot. So to carry to the jungle from where we were would be about 245, and yes I could see "some" were carrying to the jungle, but not all.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The big difference is that at a fitting, it's nothing more than a glorified range session to give the fitter numerous shots to work the best fit for any individuals swing. YOu are loose, swinging at a nice tempo and generally relaxed. Nothing like swinging in January with four layers on trying to hit fairway on a tight opening hole with the wind blowing. Don't get me wrong, I've done fittings and have always enjoyed the process and usually differences over my existing make. Not the differences in the OP and it's a lot of money to shell out. Clearly the OP is happy with the outcome and providing dispersion matched distance it seems like a no brainer to for out for the new Titleist

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
So much doubt in this thread and understandably so, but I've read nothing to suggest why the OP couldn't gain 20 yards. He wasn't fitted for his previous driver. I would expect most people to pick up similar if fitted against buy of the rack

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ok so I just went to AG and hit a few with the new TS2 and 3 out into the range (no launch monitor on). I’m booked in next week for a fitting.

My 915 (picked up off eBay without testing) is a Diamana 60 Reg. It has served me well but I’m swinging better now, finding the middle more often. This season in particular it has felt very whippy when I get into it. This means I have to swing an 80ish % swing to control the club face enough to square it. Any more and I leave it behind me.

Well like I say no launch numbers Til next week but based on the visual flight alone the ball was soaring a lot further than my current driver. It just felt very stable and satisfyingly solid out of the face.

To be continued...