Fit v Flab Is it a load of old baloney?

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
It is possible those portly golfers would/could be more successful IF they were fitter??

On a slightly different note. Every once in a while I see a "Colin Montgomery" branded jumper or item of golf clothing and there is just no way I could buy it for HID! Not sure what statement it would make but, even in a size small, it wouldn't be a positive one :eek: Am I alone in thinking this way?!

Amanda, for one of the more sensible posters on here, that comment is really bizarre. Presumably you would resist buying any TW branded clothing either due to the adulterous connotations?

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
Pretty good but far from regular winners now,or even in contention.
Cabbrera obviously is but the others?
John Daly had two good rounds at Dubai however he tailed off,down to fitness?

Or perhaps the fact that he is 48 in a couple of months played a part too.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Since the new year, I have been 'working out' (an hour of weights almost every day) at home on a workout bench and some dumbells. Playing Saturday, I not only felt that I had a little bit more control over my swing, but I think I was getting a little more distant (hard to tell in the windy conditions). I'm a man with a beer belly, so getting fit is a long road, but I did notice a difference.

I guess the pros do it for different reasons - I'm only doing it because I'm getting married next year!!

Bloody hell that's spooky so have I.
Im hoping to get married too,in 2015,perhaps I have a little more to lose.:D

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
It's not easy to change diet and exercise regimes and perhaps they've got as far as they have in their current condition so not overly motivated to make the change. After all, human frailty being what it is, hospitals are full of ill folk who might not be there IF they made similar changes in their lifestyle - and their very lives depend on that.

Again, I agree.

Thing is, the list of players I mentioned are all currently playing on professional tours. They aren't going to playing bad golf if they play on tour.

As I said in a previous example (Scott Vs Cabrera at the '13 Masters), being of a 'larger disposition' doesnt always affect the standard of golf you can play.

You could also take the Waste Managment golf last night. Stadler played some awesome golf along side Ryan Moore and Bubba Watson who appear in much better shape.

I know quite a few playes at my own course who could do with losing a few pounds, yet still play to a good handicap standard.

I've said this before on similar threads that being, physically fit is not a prerequisite to play good golf at any level IMO.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Amanda, for one of the more sensible posters on here, that comment is really bizarre. Presumably you would resist buying any TW branded clothing either due to the adulterous connotations?

I agree - it's bizarre - but it's how I think when I see it. TW was a cheat but that bears no relation to his clothing (or size of it - I think:eek:)!!!

mikee247

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Very unfit. Very much overweight. Very dodgy ticker. Lots of arthritis and soft tissue problems. Walking 18 holes behind an electric trolley is painful, and carrying is nigh on impossible.... 2013; several rounds under and around level par. Picked up plenty of winnings. Had a fantastic year.

Wonder what sort of year I'd have had if I'd been an athlete?

Fairplay to you mate! You kind of make the point real and hit the nail on the head. With respect if you were playing football or rugby etc then you might well have struggled to produce a decent result....however top level golfers go on about being athletes, major fitness freaks but I cant see any evidence that it has improved their games that much. Amateurs maybe the same....

A very good point made about marketing of clubs and apparel as well through fit, healthy good looking players.....:rolleyes: Completely true unfortunately.

mikee247

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Yes I remember that and it was Carl Peterson I think and I know that Monty struggled when he lost a load a weight a while back. It effected his swing quite a lot apparently...

Last edited:

nickough

Hacker
Visit site
Forget 'fit' or 'flab' and worry about FLEXIBLE! That is the key ingredient. Strength helps in the right places (legs and core!), but flexibility to get into the right positions is far more important. Go stretch and hit it like Bubba!

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
Monty was an incredibly successful golfer and can still manage to get it round today. Clearly the lack of a major on his cv has absolutely nothing to do with his shape, weight or fitness.

nickough

Hacker
Visit site
Monty was an incredibly successful golfer and can still manage to get it round today. Clearly the lack of a major on his cv has absolutely nothing to do with his shape, weight or fitness.

Absolutely! It's amazing what you can do with a soft belly AND soft hands!:)

wuuki456

Club Champion
Visit site
I finished Insanity last week and without doubt am hitting the ball further. Some of that is technique but also some from the "change" in my fitness levels. Always been a strong endurance type athlete but Insanity really improves explosive power, core strength, balance and agility which are areas I never really focussed on before.

Downside is my hams and glutes have been a bit sore and now appreciate how much I use those in a swing - especially with a driver - ouch!

I'm currently on week 5 of it the so called recovery week, it's some work out. I can see my flexibility improving, I hope it has a positive effect on my game. I'm dreading the second half !!

mikee247

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Bloody hell that's spooky so have I.
Im hoping to get married too,in 2015,perhaps I have a little more to lose.:D

Guys - Im sure you know this but muscle is heavier than fat... pumping weights in you bedroom is not going to have a great effect on your weight loss focus alone. You've got to do some cardio work, get the hear rate moving and maybe combine the weight to give you some definition. Best thing to loose weight, stop eating and run!! :) We as a nation eat far more than we need to. You dont need expensive gyms and poncy aerobics workouts to get fit. Weights alone are not going to help with the golf either IMO. Flexibility will I think from what I hear but you dont need to be a stick insect to be flexible apparently..... Good luck, Im sure the future wives will love you regardless of how many " love handles" you have on the honeymoon!!! :)

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Guys - Im sure you know this but muscle is heavier than fat... pumping weights in you bedroom is not going to have a great effect on your weight loss focus alone. You've got to do some cardio work, get the hear rate moving and maybe combine the weight to give you some definition. Best thing to loose weight, stop eating and run!! :) We as a nation eat far more than we need to. You dont need expensive gyms and poncy aerobics workouts to get fit. Weights alone are not going to help with the golf either IMO. Flexibility will I think from what I hear but you dont need to be a stick insect to be flexible apparently..... Good luck, Im sure the future wives will love you regardless of how many " love handles" you have on the honeymoon!!! :)

Sorry I was a little vague with my reply.
I started in the gym on the 2nd of January.
I was 14st 2 lbs I am still the same weight.
I mix cardio with weights,and do a different part of the body daily.
I have already changed the shape of my body,especially around the middle.
Lost a couple of inches off the waist as well.
Unfortunately I cant run due to bad calves,so its bike and rowing machine for cardio.
My main objective is toning,not looking to get big.
Hopefully this time I can stick at it,getting married is a good motivation I suppose.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm currently on week 5 of it the so called recovery week, it's some work out. I can see my flexibility improving, I hope it has a positive effect on my game. I'm dreading the second half !!

Month 2 is a big step up - I won't lie to you! Get through the first week though and the longer workouts with tougher and more complex moves don't feel quite so impossible!! Good luck. I quite enjoyed the Core Balance thingy in the week between the 2 months and you get to repeat that towards the end of the schedule and it's a breeze and makes you realise just how far you've progressed. I still did 4 sessions last week and plan to maintain at least that. Might do some of month 1 this week to see how "easy" it feels relative to month 2 :)

PS Expect to be on your knees after the warm-ups in month 2!

wuuki456

Club Champion
Visit site
Month 2 is a big step up - I won't lie to you! Get through the first week though and the longer workouts with tougher and more complex moves don't feel quite so impossible!! Good luck. I quite enjoyed the Core Balance thingy in the week between the 2 months and you get to repeat that towards the end of the schedule and it's a breeze and makes you realise just how far you've progressed. I still did 4 sessions last week and plan to maintain at least that. Might do some of month 1 this week to see how "easy" it feels relative to month 2 :)

PS Expect to be on your knees after the warm-ups in month 2!

Haha erm thanks I'm already dreading it, I'm hating it and really enjoying it at the same time. I already plan on keeping it up when I finish it in March.The core work and balance can only be good for my golf. I started it purely for fitness but clicked on straight away it was core based exercise so would benefit my golf. The speed exercises should benefit me as well.