Fit v Flab Is it a load of old baloney?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Pretty good but far from regular winners now,or even in contention.
Cabbrera obviously is but the others?
John Daly had two good rounds at Dubai however he tailed off,down to fitness?

You MAY be correct.

But I don't believe you can make that assertion any more than you can say the same for McIlroy. And Gallagher certainly has some 'overhang', so how do you reconcile that?

Pure conjecture!

It's up to each player how they get 'fitter' for Golf and that may not mean more exercise. Ernie used to (but has changed) 'relax' more - which only involved exercising his elbow!

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
You MAY be correct.

But I don't believe you can make that assertion any more than you can say the same for McIlroy. And Gallagher certainly has some 'overhang', so how do you reconcile that?

Pure conjecture!

It's up to each player how they get 'fitter' for Golf and that may not mean more exercise. Ernie used to (but has changed) 'relax' more - which only involved exercising his elbow!

Of course its pure conjecture,that's why I put a ?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
the sort of fitness many seem to be discussing here has little relevance until you can hit 100 3 woods from the deck using only 1sq cm of the club face.........

and I would also be happy to bet a fair amount that if you put Scott and Cabrera to work in a banana plantation for a day the latter would prove to be 'fitter' - and that's despite Scotty being clearly very gym fit!

core strength, balance and flexibility will all have a positive or negative impact on a golfers ability ie gaining or loosing them will make a difference to anyone's game - otoh improving the capabilities of your fast muscle fibres is unlikely to make any practical difference to more than 99% of golfers (but that shouldn't be any reason not to pursue such if that's your thing :))

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'm out of shape, carrying hernias and getting on a tad. I am still fairy flexible in my swing and can walk around, carrying without a problem. That will do me. I don't have the time or inclination to get fitter aside from getting the hernias done at some point

standrew

Head Pro
Visit site
Well i was 14 stone v stocky and muscled the ball but still struggled for distance. Lost a couple of stone and did a ton of flexibility work and hit way further but accuracy went worse with arms flying around. Basically now i can get full backswing range while keeping lower body stable and hit with a lot less muscle power. Focus and energy until the end of a round is much better now for me, and ive no physical issues.

Last edited:

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Guys - Im sure you know this but muscle is heavier than fat... pumping weights in you bedroom is not going to have a great effect on your weight loss focus alone. You've got to do some cardio work, get the hear rate moving and maybe combine the weight to give you some definition. Best thing to loose weight, stop eating and run!! :) We as a nation eat far more than we need to. You dont need expensive gyms and poncy aerobics workouts to get fit. Weights alone are not going to help with the golf either IMO. Flexibility will I think from what I hear but you dont need to be a stick insect to be flexible apparently..... Good luck, Im sure the future wives will love you regardless of how many " love handles" you have on the honeymoon!!! :)

My missus says my love handles are my best feature ;)

All joking aside, yes pumping iron isn't the answer to a beer belly, I am trying to run as well, but the rain and wind has put me right off that recently. But having a bit more muscle never hurt anyone!

EuanRoss

Assistant Pro
Visit site
This is a bit of a tough one, from my own experience I'm probably a better golfer now that I was 10 years ago and I was definitely at my fittest 10 years ago, played uni football, trained once or twice a week, played fives at least once a week and generally kept myself in shape. Probably about 3 stone heavier now than I was then and hit the ball further than I ever have. I'm certainly not about to embark on an exercise programme and get back to my 19 year old weight just for my golf, if I do that it'll be turning 30 that does it.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I finished Insanity last week and without doubt am hitting the ball further. Some of that is technique but also some from the "change" in my fitness levels. Always been a strong endurance type athlete but Insanity really improves explosive power, core strength, balance and agility which are areas I never really focussed on before.

Downside is my hams and glutes have been a bit sore and now appreciate how much I use those in a swing - especially with a driver - ouch!
Wow! Did you get your tee shirt?
In answer to the OP, my friend says his wife has been doing Pilates and she drives the ball noticeably longer than she ever has and she has played for a long time. I hit the gym and diet big style a while back and lost 3 stone in 4 months (15.5 to 12.5) but I can't honestly say it improved my golf. So I suppose the answer is that it depends on the exercise you do. That said, getting fitter certainly won't do your golf or general well being any harm at all.

Last edited:

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Wow! Did you get your tee shirt?
In answer to the OP, my friend says his wife has been doing Pilates and she drives the ball noticeably longer than she ever has and she has played for a long time. I hit the gym and diet big style a while back and lost 3 stone in 4 months (15.5 to 12.5) but I can't honestly say it improved my golf. So I suppose the answer is that it depends on the exercise you do. That said, getting fitter certainly won't do your golf or general well being any harm at all.

I didn't do the before and after photos! Wish I had - for my own viewing only :)