First time golfer needs advice

Hello everyone. Looking to take up golf. Im 38 and have been to a driving range twice in my life and that was maybe 20 years ago. So have zero golf experience.
I live right across the road for a course in Glasgow and during lockdown, took a walk around it and thought it looked really nice and maybe give golf a try.
What should be my next step ? Do i just buy all the gear and join the club or should i get lessons or even go to a driving range again first ?

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Welcome along

Have a word with the club pro, they might do group lessons , which is a great way to learn and meet other new players too, also cheaper. Might be able to lend you some kit, or have a cheap used set going

Have a couple of lessons first, then put that into practice at the range.

If you do lots of range stuff before lessons you might be ingraining bad habits.

Go with an open mind and enjoy

Welcome along

Have a word with the club pro, they might do group lessons , which is a great way to learn and meet other new players too, also cheaper. Might be able to lend you some kit, or have a cheap used set going

Have a couple of lessons first, then put that into practice at the range.

If you do lots of range stuff before lessons you might be ingraining bad habits.

Go with an open mind and enjoy
I just had a look on there website and seen they have lessons for next week. Just wanted to ask, i don't need any clubs or anything do i ? Guessing they provide everything.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Get some lessons. Learn the basic. Most ranges/clubs will have some gear they can lend. Decide if you really have the bug before splashing the cash. If you do want to take the plunge speak to your teaching pro who can advise on clubs but plenty of good second hand bargains around

jamiet7682

Visit site
Group lessons they usually provide the clubs, i started with group lessons last year.
What club are you near? Mearns castle is a really good set up for a beginner, doesnt have the stuffiness of a traditional club which is something i really valued as a beginner.

I was in the exact same boat as you last year, same age and city so give me a shout if you want any advice or a game?
Yea definitely mate, after a few lessons and i get the basics down i would be up for a game. I live right next to williamwood golf course. I am getting a few lessons in williamwood and also some in Cathcart castle course starting from next week. Was thinking about maybe just trying them all in the area then picking a club to join.

jamiet7682

Visit site
Cool, you live close to me by the sounds of it. Give me a shout if you have any questions.
Let me know what you think of both those courses as i will be looking to change club once i get a bit more competent as mearns castle is more set up for beginners, ideal for me at the moment but reckon ill want a change in a year or so.

kynszch

Visit site
maybe give golf a try....
What should be my next step ?

don't do it! golf will ruin your mental health, your marriage, and your bank balance. but if you won't listen to reason, at least give yourself a sporting chance of understanding what the hell this simple-looking thing called a golfswing is all about. when i tell died-in-the-wool diehards about 5 pendulums, their eyes glaze over - but being a complete beginner, you may have a mind open to physics, even if not to common sense. So take a look at the physics of the swing before you even start trying to swing one. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4y5Wtsvtduo8OY5_l1BdS22ZWFUw2Vr2

ntipping

Visit site
I wouldn't go out and buy the best clubs! I would look at a second hand set for the moment and built your love for the game.

Golf is an expensive game, so make sure you love the sport before splashing the cash. I would advise you to have a couple of lessons to get into the right habits.