First Par... Scrappy but proud..

V

vkurup

Took my son for his lessons today and it was an on-course lesson so off we went to our Par-3 course. After his lessons, he wanted to play some more holes so, we went around to hit a few more. He drives it alright, but many of them are duffed, but it is a good walk around. During the lesson and the walk about he shot couple of triple bogies and couple of doubles.

After shooting a double on the 3rd hole, he was in a good mood, so he said he would go for the green on the 4th (108y). But he topped it big time. The second shot with a 5i was not too great either and ended up just short of the greenside bunker. For his pitch,

Me> What should you do
Jr> Ignore the bunker and see where I want the ball to go
Me> Good, so where do you want the ball to go
Jr> In the hole (laugh)
Me> Lets just try and get it on the green..

So with a swing, the ball comes onto the green and then rolls all the way up and drops into the hole!!!! That was our first Par ever!!! I think I enjoyed it more than him, but he was over the moon. As a prize, I got him a Nike t-shirt from the sale in the shop. The boy has been running around the house in it and looks like will go to bed in it.

V

vkurup

I notice he shot a double bogey, but we got a par.:whistle::)

Royal 'We'...

Also we tried out something else that I picked up on another thread... only 2 putts allowed per hole. It is interesting on how it focuses the mind. Of the 13 holes he played, he may have picked up on 8-9 holes. In our previous outings, his second putt would not have the same effort as his first (duffed) putt. But now when he knows that he has only one putt left, he will go for it..

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Great post vkurup - its great to see your kids achieve these goals.

Took my 8 year old to a par 3 course about six weeks ago. There was one 130 yard hole with a 80 yard carry over a stream so I got him to take his first shot from the other side of the stream (about 45 yards). He hit a nice low shot with his 7 iron up on to the green and straight into the hole. He's not stopped telling me since that he's better at hole in ones than me! He's yet to par one, but has a number of fours.

I also like what you say about concentrating on the putting with a max two putts. He has recently become a junior member at my club and we usually go to the short game area, hit seven chips each, and then have one putt with each ball to see how many times we can get up and down in two. With more than one putt it is difficult to get him to focus, but having a bit of a fun competition means he wants to win and tries on that putt.

mcbroon

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Took my son for his lessons today and it was an on-course lesson so off we went to our Par-3 course. After his lessons, he wanted to play some more holes so, we went around to hit a few more. He drives it alright, but many of them are duffed, but it is a good walk around. During the lesson and the walk about he shot couple of triple bogies and couple of doubles.

After shooting a double on the 3rd hole, he was in a good mood, so he said he would go for the green on the 4th (108y). But he topped it big time. The second shot with a 5i was not too great either and ended up just short of the greenside bunker. For his pitch,

Me> What should you do
Jr> Ignore the bunker and see where I want the ball to go
Me> Good, so where do you want the ball to go
Jr> In the hole (laugh)
Me> Lets just try and get it on the green..

So with a swing, the ball comes onto the green and then rolls all the way up and drops into the hole!!!! That was our first Par ever!!! I think I enjoyed it more than him, but he was over the moon. As a prize, I got him a Nike t-shirt from the sale in the shop. The boy has been running around the house in it and looks like will go to bed in it.

That's great :) If he ever gives short game lessons, I'm in.

I notice he shot a double bogey, but we got a par.:whistle::)

:rofl:

V

vkurup

Great post vkurup - its great to see your kids achieve these goals.

Took my 8 year old to a par 3 course about six weeks ago. There was one 130 yard hole with a 80 yard carry over a stream so I got him to take his first shot from the other side of the stream (about 45 yards). He hit a nice low shot with his 7 iron up on to the green and straight into the hole. He's not stopped telling me since that he's better at hole in ones than me! He's yet to par one, but has a number of fours.

I also like what you say about concentrating on the putting with a max two putts. He has recently become a junior member at my club and we usually go to the short game area, hit seven chips each, and then have one putt with each ball to see how many times we can get up and down in two. With more than one putt it is difficult to get him to focus, but having a bit of a fun competition means he wants to win and tries on that putt.

He is walking on air today... i was impressed with the doubles more than the par. We dont have any water, but the holes are up and down and various lengths. So our first goal is to get on every green in 3. If he can do that, then we can go around the course in 5s & 6s. Today was our longest outing - between the lesson and the round, I just realised that we did 14 holes in the 2 hours we were out there!!

He will get an ice cream when he gets on every green in 3... that will be a big event..

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I love reading posts about young kids learning the game they are the future after all.

The 2 putt idea was mine and it works,i make mine pick up if he needs more as you say it makes them focus more.

My son had his first par when he was 7 on our par4 7th off the yellows playing 200 yards or so and had his first birdie putt on our 170 yard par3 8th he drove the green and had a 15ft putt for birdie but missed unfortunately and he was gutted.

Keep up the good work and you never know our kids could be on a forum meet together one day.

V

vkurup

I love reading posts about young kids learning the game they are the future after all.

The 2 putt idea was mine and it works,i make mine pick up if he needs more as you say it makes them focus more.

My son had his first par when he was 7 on our par4 7th off the yellows playing 200 yards or so and had his first birdie putt on our 170 yard par3 8th he drove the green and had a 15ft putt for birdie but missed unfortunately and he was gutted.

Keep up the good work and you never know our kids could be on a forum meet together one day.

Indeed PokerJ.. used it for the first time today. He was very upset for the first few holes, but then started to get the drift.

Great to hear your so is on the regular course.... I think we have about 2 years before experimenting on the 'big course'

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Quality and good on him. Wonder what he gets when he gets his first birdie.

when young grandson (2 1/2) starts swinging his plastic club around the house Missis T has her heart in her mouth.

V

vkurup

Jr tried to sneak into bed with his prize new Nike Golf polo... But was told off by HID. I am sure that he will be wearing it next week for his golf lessons...

And so your're now the second best golfer in the vkurup household

4th best.. if you count HID and the goldfish..

Craggles89

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My 4 year old really wants to try a local par 3 course, just need to buy him a putter and cross my fingers it goes well, he does have quite a temper on him so dont know how this will go !

V

vkurup

My 4 year old really wants to try a local par 3 course, just need to buy him a putter and cross my fingers it goes well, he does have quite a temper on him so dont know how this will go !

The kid putters at my club are quiet long, so it looks like my son is using a belly putter. We have a putter his size at home (but yet to take it on the course). The putter is a rubber headed one that they use in pirate golf... I got it off ebay for about £8.. easy for carpet putting..