First On The Tee........

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
The greens will be poor

Why? Have you seen the pics that are being posted even on this site? Fish's place Coventry is looking amazing....fairways and greens. Greens are "essential" I'd say, so all courses should be maintaining all areas. What else have they to do except cut grass at the moment?

D

Deleted member 21258

Why? Have you seen the pics that are being posted even on this site? Fish's place Coventry is looking amazing....fairways and greens. Greens are "essential" I'd say, so all courses should be maintaining all areas. What else have they to do except cut grass at the moment?

Have you read about how long the greens & fairways are meant to be cut to and how often ?

Looks can be very deceiving.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Our green keeper took to Facebook last night to reply to some chatter on FB saying our greens were looking poor - (by some folk who had walked their dog on the course)

He said the greens were not being cut as often as normal to encourage root growth following over seeding and dressing. They were not being cut to playing height cos no one was playing!! :) Height of cut will be reduced when required... poor chap, even now "everyone's an expert!"

D

Deleted member 18588

I bet it's not being cut to "playing" heights yet.

Definition and stripes, which for some strange reason so many seem to love, will always appear greater when grass is a little longer.

Our course looks just the same but I wouldn't want to be putting on the greens at the moment. Too much grass.

Once the restart is known greens staff will return the course to playing conditions over a period of time. You don't immediately lower the cut on the mower in one step.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
I don't think there will be a rush. I don't think it will work like that. The courses will not suddenly revert to normal. There will be advice, guidelines for Clubs with an element of social distancing required in the management
(whether members conform is another matter)
Being over 70, I would hope for some sort of social distancing to be expected.

But, yes, it will be nice to get out there again

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Because they’ve been tined, sanded & cut to 5mm. Just because they look nice in a photo doesn’t mean they’ll roll well. It won’t take long but I reckon the clubs will have about 48hrs lead up. Don’t expect them to be awesome the first time out

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I had a walk yesterday to my local course, loads out walking on the course, but we're not member so kept off but was able to see close up what the GK had done. Fairways 1 and 18 not touched, clever of the bits we could see, fairways and greens were being cut but not close, so they will have a few days mowing like mad to get them ready. So maybe not all courses are being kept looking well, just the basics being done. One I pass when working is, I would say, ready to play now!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I walk on mine every day. From afar, it looks amazing. On close inspection, there are still some very ropey bits of fairway, which have nowhere near recovered from last years draught. Immaculate? No where near. Playable, yes.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have seen pictures of Pyrford from our greenkeepers and it looks magnificent. As for the first person out, I have just looked in the mirror to ask the Club Captain what he thinks and it will be me :cool::D

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
A friend of mine walks the course and says it is looking in great condition at the moment.
If the first places where taken by the Captain, Vice Captain, Board of Management and Committee then I would have no issues at all as I know all of them have still been doing work on behalf of the club during all this time, some of them an awful lot of work, so for me it would be a case of recognition and thanks.