First lesson for a while

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have my first lesson booked in over 6 months tomorrow with my club pro whom I know reasonably well and have had 4 lessons with in the past. I was just wondering though, as I have obviously got out of the practice so haven't thought about it for a while, as to what people tend to do after lessons.

Do they go straight back to the range and hit a load of balls to groove the swing whilst it's good? Or refrain from immediate practice and go away and ponder over what has been said / discussed?

Also does anyone note down what has been said at the lesson, in terms of what is wrong and what's being done to fix it, for future reference later on in the summer, if similar issues occur?

In general how do other forumers approach their lessons, both before and after? I think this could be interesting and something I don't remember being discussed before.

Your thoughts please. :)

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I'm in a similar boat to you - I've booked a lesson having not had one for ages.

I've always walked away after a lesson in the past. Depends then on what we've been working on. Something like a grip change / swing thought, I'll work on at home before hitting the range again - trying to get some kind of automatic reaction built in before hitting a ball again.

Then a range session.

Then out on the course.

I've never made notes in my life. But this guy is different. He reckons he logs all his lessons on his 'pooter to keep a permanent record, so he can build up a long term relationship with each of his pupils.

We'll see if it works.

abush

Hacker
Visit site
Same here, joined a club last week and got a complimentary lesson booked in for this afternoon, never had a lesson with the pro there but he comes highly recommended. Fingers crossed he can get rid of the slice!

Paul2009

Assistant Pro
Visit site
my lessons take place at the range and after the lesson, he gives me a bucket of balls. That way I can practice what ive been told. Also I won't forget what he said after practicing so much ;)

Ste_Denial

Head Pro
Visit site
iv had a couple of lesson in the past, and looking back now i wish i had noted the things down that was said to me. my lesson would take place on the range, where i was given some balls to warm up with then a basket of balls after

D

Deleted member 1147

I tend to finish off what balls are left in the basket after the lesson and then go away and think about what was said/done.

As for writing it down, the pro does this for me during the lesson and at the end of the lesson.

For some parts of the game they have ready made sheets with ideas, common errors, thought processes and statistics which are useful and interesting.

D

Deleted member 1147

Scoresaver 2 - a golf stats recording facility which you can enter your round, practice, lesson etc details and it gives you stats of your performance.

forefortheday

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My pro keeps a record of every lesson and we go through previous lessons quite often usually when I'm moaning about how rubbish my swing is.

The other week he even gave me a demonstration of what I used to do and what I do now it was scary!

It depends on the lesson as to what I do afterwards, sometimes I "get" what he's teaching straight away so will go and hit some balls other times a bit of thinking is required.

golf_bug

Head Pro
Visit site
My advice would be to practise what you have been taught straight after your lesson. That's your best chance of remembering the 'feeling' associated with teh swing changes your Pro has made, and your best opportunity to groove them.

then at your next practise session, you'll get a dose of the shanks and revert back to doing what you did before the lesson :)