First ever round of golf

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don't remember anything about my first ever round except that it was at Wexham Park near Slough. Was in preparation for having a game at Sconser on Skye on our impending climbing trip. Quite why we decided we'd want to play golfwhilst we were there I have no idea, but have been hooked ever since

Edit. - two Wexham Park sessions in tandem ...

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
My first ever round of golf was also the first time swinging a golf club.
A pitch and putt course at Queen Mary's hospital, Sidcup. I shot a 7 on every hole and decided that I was obviously a natural and should take it up!
I then had lessons and played the 9 hole at Chelsfield Lakes, Orpington for 18 months before I played the full 18 holer there.

Steve Wilkes

Visit site
Lullingstone , Public pay and play , got there at 7 and joined the queue, think it was about an hour wait, lost count or how many ball and shots but I was hooked
I love Lullingstone , 1st played there in the summer of 77, get there early and join the queue, this was even before they had the numbered tickets, played it every Saturday morning during the summer months in the mid 80's with my football team mates, getting up there at 4.30am first light. Still play it once a year or so for old time sake, What a great course when it's the right time of the year

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
My first "round" as on the Par 3 course at Hoebridge near Woking. I didn't touch a club till I was in my 20s. I shot in the 70s on a par 54. I arrived home and my sister's boyfriend (who was a decent golfer) asked me what I shot and seemed seriously impressed. Sometime later it occurred to me that he didn't realise it was on the Par 3 course! :ROFLMAO:

From there to the 18 hole course, Silvermere and Thames Ditton! Mind you, it would be more than 15 years before I joined a course and played regularly. It was all cricket back then!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My first "round" as on the Par 3 course at Hoebridge near Woking. I didn't touch a club till I was in my 20s. I shot in the 70s on a par 54. I arrived home and my sister's boyfriend (who was a decent golfer) asked me what I shot and seemed seriously impressed. Sometime later it occurred to me that he didn't realise it was on the Par 3 course! :ROFLMAO:

From there to the 18 hole course, Silvermere and Thames Ditton! Mind you, it would be more than 15 years before I joined a course and played regularly. It was all cricket back then!

Hoebridge brings back a memory

I lived in Woking and my brother Badshot Lea, Farnham.

One week we would play Hoebridge 18 hole course and the next we played a course of his choice near Farnham often we played Alton. Sometimes we both played 'away'.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I love Lullingstone , 1st played there in the summer of 77, get there early and join the queue, this was even before they had the numbered tickets, played it every Saturday morning during the summer months in the mid 80's with my football team mates, getting up there at 4.30am first light. Still play it once a year or so for old time sake, What a great course when it's the right time of the year
Long old drag for the first round

DCB

Visit site
Summer of 1972, after knocking a ball about our local pitches it was time to try the "proper course" for the first time. Managed to get round in 129 blows with my bag of assorted clubs. Think I had 7 clubs of various ages and conditions. By the time we went back to school in mid August I had broken 100 round the same course, Silverknowes.

Ando

Visit site
It could have been one of a few courses. I distinctly remember playing Forest Hills in Leicestershire as a youngster off the back of Tiger winning the Masters and my pal's dad working his way through a few cans of lager as he wandered round watching us duff shots. Although I'd been on the course before that as another friend's dad was happy to take us up there and spend enough time for him to have a quick 9 while we played on the rope swing next to one hole.

Equally could have been Humberstone Heights or a short course/pitch and putt near Loughborough. Genuinely can't remember which came first.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Whetstone golf club when it was a 9 holer with my Dad and brother, sometime around 1978.

Using a hired half set of mismatched clubs, each carried in a length of fireman's hose sewn up at one end with a strap attached. I seem to remember a score of 151, which was the winning score! :eek:

The signature hole was a 570 yarder, seemed like going to the end of the world and back. No doubt a double figure score for that hole.