First Eagle and Best Round To Date!

Liam_Austin

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I can be what's classed as a very steady 23 handicapper at times. I get told this when playing either by myself or with random adults at the club in a bounce game. This is however, all when there is no pressure on me.

Having gone out with the aim of completing a round last night i managed to get stuck behind a captain and pro match due to take place. Not able to be put through I just thought I will take my time, not be under any pressure and just play my own game.

Having started fairly steady, with a brilliant par at the first and then a routine bogey at the second. I came to the par 4 3rd which is a 280 yard hole with a slight dog-leg right. I preceeded to hit a low stinger of a drive which rolled all the way down the hill, only to hit the pin and rest 18 inches from the hole. I duely sunk the EAGLE put for the first and hopefully of many eagles in my short golfing career in front of watching captain and pro.

The rest of the round went brilliantly, all be it i had two double bogeys and several shots that lipped out, I finished on 7 over through 11 and was on course for my best round yet. If only I could of completely my round makes you wonder.

This has happened several times over the last couple of weeks, but the reason I am a 23 handicapper is the fact that I cant deal with the pressure of competition, even though I know there is no pressure for me to do well, its pressure I put on myself to succeed(I have always been like this, probably due to playing other sports at very high levels including county.)

Does anyone no the cure to doing well in competition, and not cracking under the pressure? :D

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well done sounds like you had a great time, its what its all about, eagle is always nice, I have only ever lipped out with a putt on a par 4 after hitting the green in on. Done it twice actually, maybe one day.

The secret is just to convince your self there is no pressure, play to your handicap, dont attack every flag, make the nett pars and pick up the easy birdies WHEN THEY COME, and they will!

cm_qs

Head Pro
Visit site
I can be what's classed as a very steady 23 handicapper at times. I get told this when playing either by myself or with random adults

I am curious to know who tells you this when you are playing alone??? :D

Seriously though - good work fella! We could al do with afew more eagles in our lives.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Liam

I've found the best way to deal with pressure is to get in there and experience it. Get yourself in as many club competitions (junior or adults if you are allowed in them - if not ask the handicap secretary or captain if you can play) and find out about playing with a card in your hand.

The best advice I can give when you do is to play each hole as a one off. Once it has gone it has gone. You can't worry about hitting a poor shot or missing a silly putt you an only concentrate on minimising future errors. Off your handicap if you played every hole as a par five you'd shoot 90 which less 23 is nett 67 and will be good enough most weeks.

You know from county experience in other sports that you can perform at a high level. Your technique at golf can be worked on and distance etc will come with maturity. I you are hitting par 4's already there is nothing to stop you getting down to mid teen or lower.

Keep shooting those eagles and I find it is always useful to catch the attention of the pro/captain so well done. You can be sure they will have been chatting about you

CarpeDiem

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
First of all i want to congratulate you on your eagle, and i also want to say that I have had 2 eagle chances last week. The first was on the par 5 6 and i left this one short by 6 inches. The second was on the par 5 first and this one lipped out, however i still had 2 birdies.