First Driver...

Granito

Visit site
Hi everyone

First time poster but been reading for a while! I've recently really taken to golf and have been really enjoying it – well it’s rapidly becoming an obsession... a few of us have been playing some short courses but we’d like to step up to some big boys and go from there.

However, I’m very very aware that with this step comes driving... The set I’m using at the moment are my father’s set which he doesn’t use anymore but it’s a decent full set minus a Driver but complete with 1 3 5 woods. Now when I look at these woods they seem really very small in comparison to the drivers which I see in the shops at courses or online and I wonder if it’s because of this why I’m struggling to hit with the things! I’m sure it’s more to do with my rudimentary technique but would really appreciate some advice as to whether you think a proper driver would help out or whether I should persevere with the Woods.

If I was going to get a driver, at first I’d look at something cheaper along the lines of this: Palm Springs Visa 460cc – it suggests that it’s decent for “beginners” so I wonder if this would help?

Any advice would be welcomed!

Many Thanks!

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Welcome to the forums :)

The 1 wood in your fathers set is a driver.
In the last 20 or so technology has greatly affected drivers, first in the materials used and then the size of the head.

I wouldn't have much faith in the club you linked to being very good. What make are the ones you already have? They may be better.

Although more expensive than £20, if you think you'll be serious about golf for a while you'd be better off in the long run picking up a decent driver from a few years ago second hand like a Ping G2 or G5, or even a more recent MD or Benross.

Granito

Visit site
Brilliant thanks for the advice!

I'll have a look at those you mentioned. I'm sure that I'm hooked now and that I'm in for the long haul.

The clubs I'm using at the moment must be at least 15 or so years old but are a Titleist set and as far as I'm concerned the Irons are lovely! Maybe just in need of a few new grips!

Thanks again

Scouser

Tour Winner
Visit site
You can't go wrong with either MD or Benross. Good quality stuff and you will be able to pick up last seasons driver for around £40.

Which is exactly what I dis two months ago although it was 6 at the time :D

monktonhallgc1882

Assistant Pro
Visit site
id maybe start with a ben hogan, palm springs or :D nike ignite

In the bag i have
Nike Ignite 10.5 degree Uniflex shaft
Nike T60 Sasquatch 17 degree Uniflex shaft
Masters 520 silver hybrid 24 degree Whippy Shaft
Dunlop MaxII 5 AND 6 IRONS light shaft
Nike development system 7 iron light shaft

Dunlop 65 8&9 irons light shaft