First aid on a course.

GOLFER1994

Head Pro
Visit site
I am first aid trained through work but regardless I would be attempting first aid/CPR without a second thought. Preserving life would be top of my list not worrying about our snowflake society and the potential repercussions of attempting it without a qualification! Everyone should have a basic idea of whats required and as said above, more than likely you will be doing more good than bad just by trying.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
No you can still do CPR/First aid. Big misconception that if someone dies or you're out of date that you're liable. Better to do something with the right intentions than nothing.

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have been first aid trained, but it's now expired. I would still try and help someone if ti was within my capabilities.

From a legal perspective the "Social Action, Responsibility and Heroism Act 2015" covers this, which basically offers guidelines to judges, so that people are less at risk of being affected by negligence claims when trying to be a good Samaritan and do the right thing.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would leave it to Nelly the Elephant.

(Am I showing my age about when I had my first refresher course)

Seriously I would not hesitate to help and have done so in our changing rooms.

Our Parish has a defibrillator mounted on the wall outside of the library. I doubt whether any body is going to check for qualifications if somebody needed to use it.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Had a good natter with our secretary today, hung around for a minute whilst he was talking to another guy. Ironically it was a retired fireman and he was taking about first aid on the course. In essence he said the same to us both. Crack on with it. Think there is a bit of, asking a first aider that has done it for decades may well reassure staff who are trained up but have to do it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just imagine...

"Help! Help! He needs CPR!"
"Ahh this is awkward, my CPR training cert just expired. If only he'd have collapsed this time last week! Oh well."

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I would leave it to Nelly the Elephant.

(Am I showing my age about when I had my first refresher course)

Seriously I would not hesitate to help and have done so in our changing rooms.

Our Parish has a defibrillator mounted on the wall outside of the library. I doubt whether any body is going to check for qualifications if somebody needed to use it.

I'm absolutely staggered - you have a library in your village !!

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Reading the fee discussion as well, how about this?

Qualified 1st aiders getting a discount on annual fees? Doesn’t guarantee having one around, but it increases the likelihood of them dotted all over the course.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Reading the fee discussion as well, how about this?

Qualified 1st aiders getting a discount on annual fees? Doesn’t guarantee having one around, but it increases the likelihood of them dotted all over the course.
It's an interesting point. Were the club to hold a ILS/ALS course including CPR to members and they pass the course, why not give them a discount? Also, out of interest how many defib machines are there on site at your club?

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I've stepped up to the plate a few times. Never given it a second thought. My ticket expires in 6 days. Won't make any difference.

Imagine having to look a husband / wife / son / daughter etc in the eye and say I didn't try to save your loved one because I wasn't insured? That takes jobsworths to a whole new level.

These two sum it up; I'd rather look a relative in the eye and say I'm sorry, I tried my best than say I didn't bother in case you sued me. I'm not sure I could look at myself in the mirror if I'd walked away having done nothing. Not sure when my ticket actually expired but my old firm used to train me & I left them nearly 7 years ago; wouldn't make a blind bit of difference to trying.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm absolutely staggered - you have a library in your village !!

Just about.

We were a town using the old standards, cattle market and a railway station, until Dr Beeching found out about the railway station. We still keep our Post Office because it is also the sorting office for the surrounding villages, the banks have all gone and half the pubs have closed. We have a fire station but not a police station and it takes about 3 days for the police to respond to
a call out.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I saw a trailer for a TV programme a week or so ago, may have been Cold Feet. Someone needed cpr and one of the characters got ready to do it. He couldn't quite remember how and then he remembered the TV advert using the Bee Gees song, staying alive, for the rhythm. He turned to his mate and asked him to sing the Bee Gees song, didn't tell him which one and he sang something different. Funny scene.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Also, out of interest how many defib machines are there on site at your club?
I don't have a course at the moment. Before I moved house I played at Dukes Meadows, but I am now living in the middle of Hampton Court, Fulwell and Sunbury. Just started lesson again at Silvermere before Christmas, and once I am confident enough to go out again I have to start checking those out.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I don't have a course at the moment. Before I moved house I played at Dukes Meadows, but I am now living in the middle of Hampton Court, Fulwell and Sunbury. Just started lesson again at Silvermere before Christmas, and once I am confident enough to go out again I have to start checking those out.
Decent enough places to play so hope you find a new home soon. Some good teaching pros at Silvermere too so get the swing sorted and hit the season running

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
any assistance is way ,way better than none , every miinite, every compression that moves the blood around gives the victim a better chance .
l guess if it's obvious that the guy's heart has stopped then that's true. But there are other potentially fatal situations where doing the wrong thing is worse than doing nothing. Some time ago my fourball found a chap almost unconscious on the course (not a player, there's a public footpath). We found he had a medic alert bracelet staying he was diabetic, but none of us knew whether he needed sugar or insulin. Giving him sugar might have been the worst possible thing to do, so all we could do was phone for an ambulance. (As it happens it turned out he DID need sugar, and the paramedics sorted him out).