First aid on a course.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
On Thursday last week, I was approached by one of the girls in the 19th hole. She asked for my phone number, smart it thought. She explained that they had updated there diary and had lost the first aiders phone numbers. Anyway I told her my ticket had expired last year and that I would still do first aid/ resuscitation should it still be required. She said " you wouldn't be covered/insured". I said " how do you work that out, the advert of Vinnie Jones doing resuscitation to the song of staying alive is for Joe public". Her ears pricked up and she said she would speak to the club secretary. I left it at that.
But it got me thinking, how many actually would do first aid or more to the point resuscitation even though you don't have a first aid ticket.

Thoughts me dears.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Surely it's about the human thing to do. I'd help anyone if required, not sure how effective I'd be, but I would not stand back and do nothing other than watch them die.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I would absolutely attempt this if the circumstances called.

I’ve done dozens of courses from secondary school through to work, but probably 10 years since I’ve done anything.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
I thought golf courses are full of doctors anyway?

Joking aside, my understanding is that if you have a valid 1st aid qualification you have to do it right, while if you don't have one you can just have a good go at it?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
It may be that as your qualification has expired you can't be listed as an official first aider at the club but it doesn't mean you can't do it as a layman.
Exactly. With a valid ticket comes responsibility more than competence (although obviously the idea is that you are competent!).
I'm currently expired but would simply approach it as you outline.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think the Superman episode put people off as it was claimed first aiders made his injuries worse.

I could not stand by and watch someone die because my ticket expired.
Mine was up 6 years ago when I finished work.
If you don’t do anything there going to die anyway so what can you be sued for.? Trying to save his life!

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Some poor blighter collapsed during our "Gents' Christmas Comp" just before Christmas just gone - and was (I'm told) a sure-fire goner except for the promlt action of two other untrained members who assisted straight away - and who were quickly joined by doctors from on the course. Me & HID were already considering going on a "HeartStart" course - this incident pushed us into actually booking a place. Why wouldn't you?

Wolf

Visit site
Interesting to see club having a list of first aiders that are members as there no guarantees you're on site on any given day, which is why it's key to have a list of qualified staff.

However that being said I think it hugely important that if its required that people do give it a go as preserving human life really is the single most important thing anywhere, remember being at the club as a junior and was an incident someone collapsed on our 11th where he was given CPR by another member and it was enough until paramedics got there and a few weeks later the guy was back on course enjoying his golf.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
On Thursday last week, I was approached by one of the girls in the 19th hole. She asked for my phone number, smart it thought. She explained that they had updated there diary and had lost the first aiders phone numbers. Anyway I told her my ticket had expired last year and that I would still do first aid/ resuscitation should it still be required. She said " you wouldn't be covered/insured". I said " how do you work that out, the advert of Vinnie Jones doing resuscitation to the song of staying alive is for Joe public". Her ears pricked up and she said she would speak to the club secretary. I left it at that.
But it got me thinking, how many actually would do first aid or more to the point resuscitation even though you don't have a first aid ticket.

Thoughts me dears.
Done it. Done CPR on a bloke who collapsed. No consideration of the ticket, just the knowledge I've CPR skills to help. Managed to keep him going until the paramedics arrived and he survived. I'd do it again without any thought of insurance cover. Has your secretary come back to you?

oxymoron

Club Champion
Visit site
Been on the receiving end when i had a few cardiac arrests in the gym luckily there was competent staff on hand so here i still am (and immensely grateful too ) so now got ICD fitted .
However my firm now says i cannot continue with my first aid , no idea why just a firm no . Would this stop me helping ? Like heck any assistance is way ,way better than none , every miinite, every
compression that moves the blood around gives the victim a better chance .

D

Deleted member 21258

Been on the receiving end when i had a few cardiac arrests in the gym luckily there was competent staff on hand so here i still am (and immensely grateful too ) so now got ICD fitted .
However my firm now says i cannot continue with my first aid , no idea why just a firm no . Would this stop me helping ? Like heck any assistance is way ,way better than none , every miinite, every
compression that moves the blood around gives the victim a better chance .

What a great post, brilliant to read and thank goodness someone stepped in to help you.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Done it. Done CPR on a bloke who collapsed. No consideration of the ticket, just the knowledge I've CPR skills to help. Managed to keep him going until the paramedics arrived and he survived. I'd do it again without any thought of insurance cover. Has your secretary come back to you?
Hopefully see him in five mins. Just got to course for a lesson 👍

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Genuinely if I didn't know first aid I still would, but the recommendations on these courses change so frequently that even doing the course that gives you a 3 year certificate, you could be giving CPR to old standards.

I've done 3 courses that give me 3 years certification and each time CPR has changed.

As long as your pumping blood around that body and get some oxygen in there your always going to be doing more good than harm. If somebody is pathetic enough to sue you for trying to administer CPR let them, it will reflect so badly on them I doubt they'd follow it through.