Fingers, yes Fingers, hurt every morning.

sandylc524

Club Champion
Visit site
Ever since I started playing again (haven't played in 12y and now have come back with a vengeance - range daily for an hour and at least a round a week) my fingers have started hurting - it happens every morning, I wake up with really sore and stiff fingers.

It does improve during the day - but it comes back again the next morning. Is there anyone else who experienced this?

Mind sharing what you did to alleviate it?

ONE problem, I cannot NOT go to the range. :)

Thanks!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Ever since I started playing again (haven't played in 12y and now have come back with a vengeance - range daily for an hour and at least a round a week) my fingers have started hurting - it happens every morning, I wake up with really sore and stiff fingers.

It does improve during the day - but it comes back again the next morning. Is there anyone else who experienced this?

Mind sharing what you did to alleviate it?

ONE problem, I cannot NOT go to the range. :)

Thanks!

How old are you? Arthritis? Have you been to the GP?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
sounds like you may be gripping it too tight? maybe try and release a bit of the grip pressure and see if that helps, if not you can get thicker grips which are designed for people with arthritis but may help?

Digger

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If it's not a medical issue, which you should of course verify first with your GP, then it's probably because you're using muscles/tendons etc. in a way that you haven't done for a while. You haven't exactly eased yourself back in either. I'ts akin to running 10 miles when you haven't jogged for years. It should ease in time but sounds to me like there is an underlying medical issue. Get it checked.

Cheifi0

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Soreness and stiffness is generally as a result of an increase in workload that the muscles aren’t used to. I haven’t had this from golfing but still do from climbing. I would suggest lightening your grip pressure as suggested above.

You could also find some stretching protocols for the fingers and forearms which should help. Otherwise the only other option is reducing workload, which allows your tendons to recover. You want to be careful with tendons as it’s the gradual build up of stress in them that causes huge problems long term.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Agree with those above - a combination of movements your fingers aren't used to and potentially gripping too hard meaning that every strike is a real jolt to the system. Try doing some hand stretching exercises before and after playing and make your first selection of shots at the range very light chips and pitches with a nice, weak (as in strength, not grip location) grip.