Finally

Foliage Finder

Head Pro
Visit site
Broke 100 today! Shot a respectable 97 after almost two years of playing this game! Swing felt natural, was in a good rhythm, and interestingly...didn't hit driver ONCE. Didn't go bigger than a 20* hybrid off the tee, and that's all I needed.
Chip in on 7, two lovely smooth one putts, and only three balls lost to foliage! :whoo:

Fully prepared to play tomorrow and shoot about 120 but I don't care! I've finally done it! Old farts watch out :D

Only drawback is that there was a midweek comp on so nobody wanted to mark the bleedin thing!! I loitered on the first tee, nobody bit. I was played through early on and dropped a MASSIVE hint that I need my last card marking but no luck!

Scorecard 97.jpg

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Broke 100 today! Shot a respectable 97 after almost two years of playing this game! Swing felt natural, was in a good rhythm, and interestingly...didn't hit driver ONCE. Didn't go bigger than a 20* hybrid off the tee, and that's all I needed.
Chip in on 7, two lovely smooth one putts, and only three balls lost to foliage! :whoo:

Fully prepared to play tomorrow and shoot about 120 but I don't care! I've finally done it! Old farts watch out :D

Only drawback is that there was a midweek comp on so nobody wanted to mark the bleedin thing!! I loitered on the first tee, nobody bit. I was played through early on and dropped a MASSIVE hint that I need my last card marking but no luck!

View attachment 19760

well played! nice amount of pars on that front 9

which course is it you play? Id love to have a go at that 9th... 218 yard par 4?? i had a 200 yard par 3 other day.. was very annoying! would love another shot at it would have made par :)

Foliage Finder

Head Pro
Visit site
well played! nice amount of pars on that front 9

which course is it you play? Id love to have a go at that 9th... 218 yard par 4?? i had a 200 yard par 3 other day.. was very annoying! would love another shot at it would have made par :)

It's Walmersley mate. Yeah it's an interesting hole! Narrow fairway which bottlenecks and ends about 20 yards before the green with trees either side. Lateral water hazard all the way up the right and a relatively flat green. Tempts you into taking on the green but that's never worked out well for me! Usual is a 5 iron leaving a chip on for a putt or two. That is when I don't hook it onto the 6th fairway...

Or shank it into the water...

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's Walmersley mate. Yeah it's an interesting hole! Narrow fairway which bottlenecks and ends about 20 yards before the green with trees either side. Lateral water hazard all the way up the right and a relatively flat green. Tempts you into taking on the green but that's never worked out well for me! Usual is a 5 iron leaving a chip on for a putt or two. That is when I don't hook it onto the 6th fairway...

Or shank it into the water...

I like the sound of that!!!! yeah sod going for the green.. nice lay up.. chip on 2 putt par thank you lol

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Instead of dropping hints, why dont you just ask someone to mark the card? People often join our bi weekly stableford for handicap cards.

Foliage Finder

Head Pro
Visit site
Instead of dropping hints, why dont you just ask someone to mark the card? People often join our bi weekly stableford for handicap cards.

Being completely honest, as a new member who is under 25, a golf club can be an intimidating place. When you're playing in amongst a busy morning of members on the midweek comp who have been at the club longer than I've been alive, it can be a bit of a daunting prospect to walk up to a group of people and outright ask someone directly.

I'm in touch with the chairman of handicaps to see if I can't pre-arrange something with someone, because I'm very aware that the comps are a great opportunity to meet new people and integrate more, but without a handicap I can't play in them. Bit of a catch 22.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
I get that, I was once a member of a golf club under the age of 25. In exactly your position.

Just because its daunting, doesn't mean you cant do it.

Maybe just ask a few of them if anyone has a space you can fill on the tee, ideally a two ball going out you could make a third. Once they agree, politely pop you're card under thier nose and say 'you wouldn't mind marking this would you, its for my handicap'
It would be an absolute ass to say say no at that point.

You might be surprised, I used to join the seniors roll up most weeks well after I got my card marked. They were always happy to let people join, regardless of age.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Being completely honest, as a new member who is under 25, a golf club can be an intimidating place. When you're playing in amongst a busy morning of members on the midweek comp who have been at the club longer than I've been alive, it can be a bit of a daunting prospect to walk up to a group of people and outright ask someone directly.

I'm in touch with the chairman of handicaps to see if I can't pre-arrange something with someone, because I'm very aware that the comps are a great opportunity to meet new people and integrate more, but without a handicap I can't play in them. Bit of a catch 22.

Check you may be able play for your H/C during a comp, i know it's allowed at my club.
Keep up the good work :thup:

calluma11

Club Champion
Visit site

Exact same scenario for me. I joined halfway through the membership year in Feb and also found it very daunting. Luckily on my first day it took 30 seconds and i went out with one other guy who'd mark my card. Swapped numbers. The next day was a betterball comp and, as i didnt have a handicap, it was tricky for me to join in. I was loitering for 1.5 hours on the putting green asking for someone to go out with but to no avail. I felt completely shattered inside, wondering if i'd made the right decision. The next week i went out again with my first partner, paired up with 2 others and low and behold, i've slowly joined these groups and tagged on with others.

I've never minded playing with anyone this year (now I know I can get round the course fast and decently). In fact, after a month off I played with 3 'strangers' (members) off 6, 8, and 10. I'm off 22 and we had a great time together.

Oh, and 5th June I turned 23, so was 22 for the most part playing with midage and older people. Nobody my age, but that's not been a problem at all

Edit: If you want to know what I do now, I hang about the practice green (where I can also see people heading to the first tee) and ask everyone I see not in a fourball if they need making up. No one (who isn't already full) has declined. When it's busy especially, people don't like playing in 2s or 3s as they end up waiting a lot at tees

Last edited:

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well done.

Does your club pro not know who would be happy to go out with you and mark your card or groups that you'd be able to join?

Foliage Finder

Head Pro
Visit site
Yeah I've had a word with him as well, the groups that would usually do it were the ones I was in amongst this morning but I think with it being a comp they just had their minds on that a bit more. I'm out again tomorrow with the best of the weather in the morning so should get someone then!

Thanks all for the congrats by the way :thup:

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well done, its a bit of a poor show but if it is a comp and you haven't got your handicap yet, you would not be able to mark a card so I can understand. If you have this problem when you get your handicap though, kick up a fuss.

D

Deleted member 21258

Well done, bet you are chuffed to bits. I can remember the feeling when I first broke 100 and also more recently when my son did.

Its great, well done.