Films

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
This could have gone under Things That Gladden The Heart thread as well.
Just watched Hobson's Choice (again) on Film 4.
Probably my all-time favourite film. Light, fun, well written (Willie Mossop: D'you think it'll get in t'paper, Maggie? Maggie Hobson: Aye, you'll see your name in t'Salford Reporter, Father. Henry Hobson: Salford Reporter? When ruin and disaster overwhelm a man of my importance, it's reported in t'Manchester Guardian, for the whole country to read.) and well acted. Nothing heavy but just a delight to watch.
Yes, yes, yes. One of my faves also.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
65…on Sky Cinema…has a plot line thinner and with more holes in it than a string vest. I watched last night…I can’t recommend it. If you like CGI dinosaurs (because there’s not much else) you may as well watch a Jurassic Park film.
Funny that I came on to say I watched it Fairly predictable but good enough to keep me watching to the end.
Jurassic Park did not have a space ship, laser gun and mini bombs.
A couple of bits of CGI reminded me of a Ray Harryhausen film.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Funny that I came on to say I watched it Fairly predictable but good enough to keep me watching to the end.
Jurassic Park did not have a space ship, laser gun and mini bombs.
A couple of bits of CGI reminded me of a Ray Harryhausen film.
I watched it to the end mostly out of hope that something would happen 🙄

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Elemental. Just not good. What happened with Pixar, for years they were a guarantee of a good film with scripts that worked for adults and kids. Now I cannot remember the last decent film they made.

TimShady

Banned
Visit site
I suspect folks will have differing opinions on what makes a good Western, but in addition to the ones mentioned by others, Bone Tomahawk is a very well told story. Periods of shocking, brutal violence won't be for everyone, but it works within the story being told.
Very well told? Glacial pace with nothing happening for a couple of poorly shot gore scenes. Thought it was awful.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Elemental. Just not good. What happened with Pixar, for years they were a guarantee of a good film with scripts that worked for adults and kids. Now I cannot remember the last decent film they made.
Cheers for that, the wife want to watch it and I've said I'll watch it with her. Won't now.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I thought lightyear and soul were very good

The issue I had with elemental was that the "overflow" water , how on earth would it go that far??????

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I thought lightyear and soul were very good

The issue I had with elemental was that the "overflow" water , how on earth would it go that far??????
Actually I did like light-year and was surprised it was such a flop. Soul was ok but when you compare to Toy Story, Up etc they are just missing something

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Actually I did like light-year and was surprised it was such a flop. Soul was ok but when you compare to Toy Story, Up etc they are just missing something

Tim Allen and Tom hanks is what's missing!

I think lightyear flopped because of coming out around COVID times, when people didn't want to risk cinema so much etc

I really enjoyed the story

The tag line at the start to explain it all

"In 1994 Andy got a toy of buzz lightyear from his favour movie...

This is the movie"

Brilliant

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Tim Allen and Tom hanks is what's missing!

I think lightyear flopped because of coming out around COVID times, when people didn't want to risk cinema so much etc

I really enjoyed the story

The tag line at the start to explain it all

"In 1994 Andy got a toy of buzz lightyear from his favour movie...

This is the movie"

Brilliant
I enjoyed Lightyear. Part of the reason it didn't do well was the 'its too woke' gammons who slated it for having a lesbian main character I believe. Pathetic.

Going back a few years now but I only saw it a couple of years ago - Inside Out was an absolute gem.