Films

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Very much this. Plus you look at the early successful films and they were all just a little bit grounded (and I mean this in the loosest sense as a superhero film can never really be grounded) and those tend to be the better films (Iron Man, the 3 Captain America films, Spiderman filsm etc). I lost interest in the comics (and both Marvel and DC did this) when it all went multiversal and the same is happening with the films.

The films also used to be relatively self contained as well with only the post credit scent building to the next one whereas now all of the films are a build up to the next thing.
The multiverse is crap. Ruined the films for me. It's just an 'anything goes' get out of jail free card to cover for them clutching at straws for new ideas.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The multiverse is crap. Ruined the films for me. It's just an 'anything goes' get out of jail free card to cover for them clutching at straws for new ideas.
Does allow them to relaunch the fantastic four properly and get X-Men in the MCU which is great

Comics are a massive get out of jail free do what you want anyways , a talking racoon and a man bitten by a spider are pretty much crazy talk

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Fall.
I've never been great with heights, especially on man made structures - not sure why I put this on! Spent one hour with 'jelly legs' 😂

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Does allow them to relaunch the fantastic four properly and get X-Men in the MCU which is great

Comics are a massive get out of jail free do what you want anyways , a talking racoon and a man bitten by a spider are pretty much crazy talk
Comics are a bit different though, they've had to produce weekly/monthly content since the 1960s so I'll let them off a bit of repetition. 😆

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Comics are a bit different though, they've had to produce weekly/monthly content since the 1960s so I'll let them off a bit of repetition. 😆

However the comics are where they are getting there stories from

Like the upcoming flash movie, which looks brilliant focuses around flashpoint . Being one of the best series they have done.

Plus seeing Keaton as batman again just take my money now

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Rhubarb (1970). Was on TPTV earlier today. A little golfing almost silent British comedy short film I’ve never come across before.

Essentially a film of a golf match between a vicar and a police inspector. Filmed at a less than manicured Foxhills GC starring many of the usual British comedy film bunch of the time - Eric Sykes, Jimmy Edwards, Harry Secombe, Hattie Jacques, Kenneth Conner et al.

Is it funny? Well in a very British slapstick style of the time I guess it probably was…and today maybe it is quite…though it contained a couple of what today would be considered probably verging unacceptable (in a Benny Hill-ish way) characterisations. That aside…a bit of a golfing curiosity…never mind the golf clubs being used by the vicar character (of a sort that would interest @Crow and his vintage golf ilk)
Fairly sure that Foxhills was not open in 1970.
I played it with John Campbell just a few days before the opening 1975/ish

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Just watched Everything Everywhere All At Once, bloody hell I'm ready for a lie down now 🤯

Absolutely bonkers but utterly superb 👌
Watched this last night.
Yes, it's bonkers, but I have to confess it went right over/under my head.
I listened to a review by a podcast I respect afterwards to see what I had missed and got the impression that it was very exciting for film buffs and people who were familiar with the careers of the writers/ directors.
I'm neither of those, though I like to think I'm thoughtful about stuff, so perhaps I'm just not the target audience.
In a straw poll of one other person (My wife) it seems like I wasn't alone.
I'm genuinely surprised it won all the awards the other night. It just seems a bit niche.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
@pendodave I saw it a while ago. Very strange, awful last 20-30 minutes. Quirky and weird, just what Oscar likes? Even the other films largely up for awards, people were not beating down a door to watch them. Winning Oscars doesn't denote a great film or a great performance imo, it is very much internal back slapping. Great that people enjoyed it, different tastes and all that. I've rarely rushed to see a film simply because it has won awards though, I learnt that lesson many years ago.

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
@pendodave I saw it a while ago. Very strange, awful last 20-30 minutes. Quirky and weird, just what Oscar likes? Even the other films largely up for awards, people were not beating down a door to watch them. Winning Oscars doesn't denote a great film or a great performance imo, it is very much internal back slapping. Great that people enjoyed it, different tastes and all that. I've rarely rushed to see a film simply because it has won awards though, I learnt that lesson many years ago.

I have to agree 100%, stopped many years ago but always tried to watch the Oscar winning movies only to find they were not really enjoyable, very rarely are the winners the same movies as the box office successes .

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Regarding Everything Everywhere... I was trying to think if I'd seen it, then I remembered that me and the wife put it on once. The beginning part was all subtitles and we were faffing around with our takeaway so we just turned it off after 10 minutes. :LOL:

Agree with the comments on best picture winners as well. I remember watching Birdman after that won, got to the end and thought, what was that all about? Going back a few years but No Country For Old Men as well - I liked the characters but it seemed to be a film without a beginning or an end, just one long middle. Looking through the list though there were some fantastic winners as well. The King's Speech and The Departed for example.