Films

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Check out the trailers. No way any fighter plane flies down a canyon like that let alone two of them abreast. Or when two planes are closer than any real plane would be and Cruise comes up the middle of them? Garbage.

Don’t watch it then ??‍♂️

I don’t think it is intended to be a documentary.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Fair point - remember one of the guys in Braveheart saying the same thing. Top Gun will always be my favourite film and I've watched enough documentaries and specials on it to know how much went into the original.
But so many films have become CGI fests (cough cough Marvel) .... eventually it detracts from the actual film and that is how I see this one.
I'll watch the original again this weekend - maybe this time Iceman won't win the Top Gun Trophy (which in reality would never have taken place)

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Check out the trailers. No way any fighter plane flies down a canyon like that let alone two of them abreast. Or when two planes are closer than any real plane would be and Cruise comes up the middle of them? Garbage.

Spoiler alert .. they didn't..

Don't judge a book by it's cover or a movie by a trailer . Go see

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Top Gun: Maverick. Like the original, on steroids, with an extra dollop of cheese. Some of the plot lines you will see lumbering over the horizon, some characters in the new are the obviously based on the old, but the bottom line is it's thoroughly entertaining; you'll laugh, you may cry and you should leave entertained & happier than when you came in. If you'll pardon the expression, I don't give a flying f...andango if the flying sequences were CGI'd or not; as others have said it's not a documentary.

And whoever ;) chose the soundtrack music for the dog fighting sequence deserves a pat on the back; despite what the song said, they were! (It will make sense when you've seen it).

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Top Gun: Maverick. Like the original, on steroids, with an extra dollop of cheese. Some of the plot lines you will see lumbering over the horizon, some characters in the new are the obviously based on the old, but the bottom line is it's thoroughly entertaining; you'll laugh, you may cry and you should leave entertained & happier than when you came in. If you'll pardon the expression, I don't give a flying f...andango if the flying sequences were CGI'd or not; as others have said it's not a documentary.

And whoever ;) chose the soundtrack music for the dog fighting sequence deserves a pat on the back; despite what the song said, they were! (It will make sense when you've seen it).

well summed up Rich - a great film that does exactly what you expect albeit probably better than you would have expected. A great escapist 2hrs or so

D

Deleted member 1147

I enjoyed Maverick. Thought Jodie Foster was good and was nice to see Jim Garner, especially after his role in the original.

Just a good fun film.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
i forgot to add that Maverick is clearly superior to the original in all areas!

Always felt top gun was too short .. I know movies are a lot longer now but this one just had that bit more run time to feel like it wasn't over before it began

Great follow up all these years later .. sometimes better than returning so quickly

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Also from what I've read the flight scenes aren't even CGI? So don't know what @Pathetic Shark thinks they are. Says it's all done using practical affects and real planes etc

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Also from what I've read the flight scenes aren't even CGI? So don't know what @Pathetic Shark thinks they are. Says it's all done using practical affects and real planes etc

Apparently they aren't CGI;

SPOILER ALERT; do not scroll too far down on the link as there is a plot spoiler...

https://screenrant.com/top-gun-2-maverick-action-scenes-no-cgi-reason/

Whether they were CGI or not made no difference to my enjoyment, but if all those scenes were actually flown then hats off to the pilots involved.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Apparently they aren't CGI;

SPOILER ALERT; do not scroll too far down on the link as there is a plot spoiler...

https://screenrant.com/top-gun-2-maverick-action-scenes-no-cgi-reason/

Whether they were CGI or not made no difference to my enjoyment, but if all those scenes were actually flown then hats off to the pilots involved.

Agreed on that

Wife and I thought it was brilliant

Enjoyed it more than the first but not that first wasn't good just that was even better

Personally tho