Films

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
Any recommendations?

Seen American Sniper and Foxcatcher recently. Wouldn't recommend the later but the former was very good.

Any good recent films from the past 12 months that people would recommend on blu-ray or cinema?

Jon321

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Not brand new but 'the equaliser' and 'walk among the tombstones' are two that I have watched recently. Enjoyed both.

ventura

Head Pro
Visit site
Agree about Foxcatcher, was very underwhelmed.

Watched Untouchable recently which was excellent, interesting and really funny. Also enjoyed A million ways to die in the West, The Raid 2 and Trance.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Another underwhelmed for Foxcatcher. Interesting story but dragged on.

The Theory of Everything was absolutely brilliant, if Eddie Redmayne doesn't get the best actor Oscar it's a travesty.

Unbroken was good but not outstanding for me as a film, but the story behind it was brilliant.

Selma is extremely powerful and a brilliant film; caught it on Screen Unseen.

Paddington is very entertaining, especially with a bunch of giggling kids in the audience.

Whiplash is very good & thought provoking.

Enjoyed The Equaliser, thought A Walk Among the Tombstones was okay but not brilliant, preferred Liam Neeson in Non Stop. Taken 3 is the same formulaic stuff, escapist entertainment but thoroughly unbelievable.

Odvan

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Agree about Foxcatcher, was very underwhelmed.

Watched Untouchable recently which was excellent, interesting and really funny. Also enjoyed A million ways to die in the West, The Raid 2 and Trance.

Mentioned this on another thread sometime ago, was annoyed I hadn't seen it sooner than I did. A wonderful film and is highly recommended.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
U
Another underwhelmed for Foxcatcher. Interesting story but dragged on.

The Theory of Everything was absolutely brilliant, if Eddie Redmayne doesn't get the best actor Oscar it's a travesty.

Unbroken was good but not outstanding for me as a film, but the story behind it was brilliant.

Selma is extremely powerful and a brilliant film; caught it on Screen Unseen.

Paddington is very entertaining, especially with a bunch of giggling kids in the audience.

Whiplash is very good & thought provoking.

Enjoyed The Equaliser, thought A Walk Among the Tombstones was okay but not brilliant, preferred Liam Neeson in Non Stop. Taken 3 is the same formulaic stuff, escapist entertainment but thoroughly unbelievable.

Do you have the radar senses of a bat? You clearly spend most of your life in the dark!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I don't go to the cinema much (if at all), but on blu ray, Lucy was rubbish, a walk among the tomb stones was disappointing, divergence was junk, but I quite liked sin city a dame to kill for. The critics murdered it, but I thought it was ok.

In general, if I buy it on DVDs, it turns out ok. If I splash out on a blu ray, it's junk. I guess I'm Betamax guy.

D

Deleted member 15344

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.
Easy to watch and an excellent way to waste an evening.

Slime.

Agree - Think Jason Clarke is a very good actor - enjoyed a lot of films he has been in

Also agree on the suggestions of Guardians of the Galaxy - thoroughly enjoyable movie