feel free to destroy my swing....

• Thread starter Deleted member 18121
  • Start date

Swinger

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'd say you're biggest problem is over hinging or collapsing wrists towards the end of the up swing causing the big over swing. This also looks to cause the casting or the club starting outside from the top and the what looks like the weight shifting the wrong way through impact. I'm sure better players will be on some time soon to give you a better critique but I would imagine the tempo is pretty good but wouldn't be sure without watching the full speed video. If you do generally hit the ball straight then your D plane is pretty well aligned with your club and swing path.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You have a bad reverse pivot where your weight is on the front foot in the back swing and the back foot on the down swing, this is loosing you lots of power in the swing. You then have to flip your wrists and scoop at the ball through impact because you are not covering the ball.

Take a look on Youtube for some drills for sorting it.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Depends a ways on what your goals are, if in general you're hitting it reasonably straight, playing to 18 & reasonably happy with that, then all good.

If you have a desire to get a ways better than the current level of golf you've got going, then they are a little bunch of things you're gonna have to change in order to be able to do that. Which will start from grip (right hand in particular), stance & posture at address, then a few things you'd have to be looking to iron out a ways in the swing motion itself.

So it kind of depends what your goals are, be happy to go through the things you'd need to look at to help stop the issues you currently have, if you're of a mind to make the changes needed? If you go to a PGA Pro he would be changing a few things if you're aim is to move on from where you are.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
You have a bad reverse pivot where your weight is on the front foot in the back swing and the back foot on the down swing, this is loosing you lots of power in the swing. You then have to flip your wrists and scoop at the ball through impact because you are not covering the ball.

Take a look on Youtube for some drills for sorting it.

That 'reverse pivot' seems to have served Aaron Baddeley (at least for a while) and Charlie Wi pretty well.

How can you say that the weight is on the back foot when the back foot actually comes off the ground?

Does seem to be a flip happening though.

It's that (flip) and the over-swing that I'd try to change/eliminate first - though fundamentals are always the place to start.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 18121

Cheers for the replies guys....

yes i do want to improve coach.... so any drills/tips etc you'd like to furnish me with then I'm all ears.

I'm aware my grip is awful and my attempt at working on stack and tilt has had a massive effect on my weight movement/transfer being 80% front foot.

what's a flip foxholer? And how do you eliminate the over swing / collapse?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
what's a flip foxholer? And how do you eliminate the over swing / collapse?

Flip is the consequence of an 'early release' - where the lag is lost (often through a cast, as often happens after an overswing). The shaft ends up on the same line as the left arm some way before impact as opposed to virtually 90* to it. In order to actually get some 'oomph' into the actual strike, the hands flick the shaft through the last few inches to a foot.

The Pump drill (check Google) is the standard solution and reducing the swing to feel 3/4 or half should eliminate the overswing. also see if you can find (google) Slicefixer's 9-3 swing, and how to do it. That could well suit your style.

the_coach (or your PGA Pro) will have a better handle on the proper sequence, for you, though setup, especially grip, is normally the beginning.

It also depends on how much of the S&T you (and your coach) want to maintain. It's another 'nearly there' example that might not need too much work to be 'classic'. I think it's the hips - and their lack of forward movement - that is causing the issues, though JustOne is much more au-fait with the S&T movements/sequencing than me! It does produce a very 'centred' swing though which has decided benefits!

Last edited:

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
S&T not my bag, just my opinion, but not a great way to swing a golf club.

Finding a way to consistently get back down through to impact if your weight is already a good ways predominately on your left side at the top, being able to both stay in good posture & having the shaft swing on plane & on a good path through impact just doesn't work, again just my take.

You end up with your spine angle tilted the wrong ways at the top, the head moving towards the target at the top, so then the club has too far to travel on the way back down to impact compared to the amount the lower body & body have to turn to get back to impact, really difficult to time with any consistency.

So you're probably better staying with whoever is teaching you this, as my take would be nothing to do with S&T.

But regardless of the S&T 'system', either way, you eliminate over swing, crossing the line at the top & the right arms right angle at the elbow collapsing, by the arm swing being connected to the body turn, partly also by having a grip that the hands set correctly so you're not searching for an extra long backswing going back because subconsciously the golfer feels they haven't enough 'power' stored as they sense the 'levers' of the hands/wrists aren't 'set' but mainly the arm-swing must stop with the shoulder turn, also without the upper body leaning left towards target at top.

My take there's a difference to a centered upper body turn into a loaded right thigh which gives you again just my view a better way to start down & swing through impact, that isn't S&T where most of the weight stays left back & through.

Last edited:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
That 'reverse pivot' seems to have served Aaron Baddeley (at least for a while) and Charlie Wi pretty well.

How can you say that the weight is on the back foot when the back foot actually comes off the ground?

Does seem to be a flip happening though.

It's that (flip) and the over-swing that I'd try to change/eliminate first - though fundamentals are always the place to start.

Stack and tilt is nothing like his video, I would have thought you would know the difference. How can his weight be forward in the downswing with that body position, you can still have your weight on the toes of your back foot! His weight eventually comes onto the front but much too late to save the shot.

Why don't you try giving some advice instead of constantly chipping away and trying to rubbish others well intentioned help.

To the OP. Your overswing is created by your reverse pivot, the more your upper body sways forward in the backswing the further your arms drop behind you. If you can keep your left shoulder behind the ball at the top you will find it very hard to overswing.

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

I'm aware my grip is awful and my attempt at working on stack and tilt has had a massive effect on my weight movement/transfer being 80% front foot.

Stack and tilt is nothing like his video, I would have thought you would know the difference. How can his weight be forward in the downswing with that body position, you can still have your weight on the toes of your back foot! His weight eventually comes onto the front but much too late to save the shot.

Why don't you try giving some advice instead of constantly chipping away and trying to rubbish others well intentioned help.

Adam. It looks like your efforts at S&T have just been...er... 'rubbished'! :rolleyes:

As I posted, what you should do will be governed by how much you want to continue along the S&T path - and the availability of a coach should you decide to commit to the 'full-blown' approach. Whatever you do, a fundamental like grip needs to be properly established/sorted. From what little I know of it - and I do seem to be able to recognise aspects of it :whistle: - the S&T swing tends to be shorter than 'traditional' in the first place and certainly an overswing, such as you do, is to be avoided - as it further 'promotes' a reverse pivot that the method approaches/tends to/promotes (without actually falling into one) in the first place.

D

Deleted member 18121

Do you ever top the ball or struggle to get any height with your shots ?

No never. My ball striking is regularly complemented and height is definitely one thing I don't lack - I've just changed clubs in an effort to reduce the height in fact.

Foxholer - I see where you're coming from. The S&T that I worked on over winter was more to do with getting my weight on my left side then trying to get through the ball. I wont lie and say I spent a lot of time working on it, but after a couple of weeks of working on keeping the weight on the left side I played 2 consecutive rounds to +13.....hence why I've kinda tried to stick with it.

I realise that working on my grip will probably "ruin" me for a bit....so am tempted to leave the big changes until autumn/winter......it's nice to see some glimmers of compliments within all these posts that make me realise I'm not a million miles away from improving further.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
No never.

Good.
That means you're not getting too far ahead of the ball which can happen when people try S&T.

There are a few issues with the swing that you could look at but I'd like to highlight one thing.
Here's a still from your downswing......

I know people who would kill for that position.
That just leads to a great swing path into the ball
So, if you decide to make any changes to your backswing, be careful not to lose that position.
After all, it's impact that counts.
If I was to suggest any change, I would try and keep your left side straighter at impact. But maybe that's just the S&T
Good job though

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
For what it's worth (not much)- I really like your swing!

However, if I was a golf ball I'd elect to be hit by the second guy- looks like a less powerful position.

adam.jpg

D

Deleted member 18121

Good.
That means you're not getting too far ahead of the ball which can happen when people try S&T.

There are a few issues with the swing that you could look at but I'd like to highlight one thing.
Here's a still from your downswing......

I know people who would kill for that position.
That just leads to a great swing path into the ball
So, if you decide to make any changes to your backswing, be careful not to lose that position.
After all, it's impact that counts.
If I was to suggest any change, I would try and keep your left side straighter at impact. But maybe that's just the S&T
Good job though

And to keep my left side straighter the fix would be to get weight more on my back foot?

For what it's worth (not much)- I really like your swing!

However, if I was a golf ball I'd elect to be hit by the second guy- looks like a less powerful position.

View attachment 11192

Appreciate the feedback guys.... I believe I have the talent to get to a 12/13 handicap but realise it'll take a lot of work and certain aspects of my setup and backswing need to change.

dsanders9944

Medal Winner
www.bdgolf.tv
I agree with what the others have said, firstly.....fix your reverse pivot as this will go some way in shortening the backswing as there won't be as big an imbalance at the top of the swing(ie. when your weight is on the left at the top, you can't support the club as well which contributes to an overswing). Your head then shoots to the left on the downswing to compensate for the reverse pivot. [video=youtube_share;KToj8-qP8j4]http://youtu.be/KToj8-qP8j4[/video] Then work on the pump and hit drill to shorten the swing and you should be good to go, good luck!!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
And to keep my left side straighter the fix would be to get weight more on my back foot?

Not quite.
Think of the weight finishing on the inside of your left foot, not the outside as it is at the moment.
You will see how Rory Mc Keeps his left side behind the yellow line whereas yours is beyond it.

If you're at the range and there is a chair there, try this drill. That should help you feel that you turn rather than slide through the ball

[video=youtube;CplahOxJmsA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CplahOxJmsA&list=PL7Uf2W3sfvqYBJ3OUldKvQT7ZWYEmPOyW&index=23[/video]

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Some interesting replies. Swing isn't too bad into delivery (as Bobmac points out) but your backswing being too far behind you causes you to over-swing (right elbow bends too much because you're swinging the club around behind you rather than up on plane).

[video=youtube;8crIFt786jg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8crIFt786jg[/video]

I like this position quite a lot, nice if you can do that when there's a ball :p

IWam5ca.gif

Make sure that at ALL TIMES you try and keep your head behind the ball and when you make your backswing/takeaway feel the the club swings more sideways and UP rather than around behind you, right now your right elbow is bending far too much - FEEL like your right elbow/right arm stays straighter for longer in your backswing.