Favourite player to watch on TV?

• Thread starter Deleted member 1147
  • Start date

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
All time fav is Seve - he was superb and entertained

Not a fan of Mickleson find him a bit false at times

Stenson , Garcia both favs to watch when on form find players like Rose a bit robotic and when he is on form for me there is no one who can touch Rory but my fav at the moment - Beef - just plays with a big beaming smile

Can you explain what you mean about Phil being false, not sure how you come away with that and as for Rory being untouchable well that's a joke RIGHT he has been crap for ages, when or how is he untouchable what has he won of late

D

Deleted member 1418

Can you explain what you mean about Phil being false, not sure how you come away with that and as for Rory being untouchable well that's a joke RIGHT he has been crap for ages, when or how is he untouchable what has he won of late

Because Rory has a certain x factor about him when he plays - you just don't know what is coming next. Most of the American players, except for Bubba, Reed, Mickelsen and Fowler, come across as being so serious and devoid of any personality or emotion.

IMO if Rory is at the top of his game he's the best out on tour. But likewise a Rory 74 is far more watchable than a Chad Spandex (or whoever has the most ridiculous name at the moment) 68!!

D

Deleted member 15344

What’s to explain ? I think at times he comes across as false - just a feeling and opinion bomber nothing more than that

As for Rory did you forget to read the words “when on form” in my statement ? And when he is in on form imo no one can touch him

And it’s a thread asking for who people enjoying watching - im sure at some point you intend on adding your choices

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Woods for me, he's who drew me to the game.

When playing poorly he still has nuggets of magic in him.

Imo Phil Mick has the most exciting short game, not necessarily the best.

Of the current players i really like Rahm atm, seems to go for everything.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
John Ram is box office.

Seems to to be all or nothing on every hole. Ultra aggressive, especially with his short game.

Definitely what the game needs and he could potentially be a massive star if he keeps improving and stays involved at the business end of big events.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
Love watching world class players that still have that unpredictability in them. Phil, Sergio, Rahm the main ones and to a similar extent Rory and JT.

On the flip side, hate it when mediocre golfers get airtime based on personality over performance. I've no interest in seeing Beef, Poulter, Sullivan, Bryson DeC etc unless they're genuinely in contention on a weekend. Show me the better golfers please.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
What’s to explain ? I think at times he comes across as false - just a feeling and opinion bomber nothing more than that

As for Rory did you forget to read the words “when on form” in my statement ? And when he is in on form imo no one can touch him

And it’s a thread asking for who people enjoying watching - im sure at some point you intend on adding your choices

Well it's be a long time since he has been on form that's for sure but at least you are keeping an eye on Tiger.

As for who do I like watching well I don't have a favourite really but DJ JT JS and Tiger when ever he plays.

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
Sergio. He is a nervy player, just like me. Brilliant at times, then panics. Love it.

All these robots. No.

Bubba. He is fantastic to watch. You have no idea what is coming next. Neither does he.

I'm a Sergio fan as well.
For me, he is fun to watch. Plays with passion and is subject to huge emotions on the course.

Others I like are;
Stenson, Phil, Westwood.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I know exactly what you mean about Mickleson, Phil. For me its the way he tips his cap and smiles after a decent shot and certain other things he does, can't explain it really he just screams false to me.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I prefer watching the players who can be amazing but have flaws as well. Like Matsuyama, amazing irons but could just as easily hit a wild slice with his driver and be in all sorts of bother. And Bubba, could eagle a 650 yard hole, or take a 6 on a par 3 and snap a club over his knee. That's exciting. I find someone like Speith just being relentlessly good quite boring. :D

Like watching guys like Beef as well, guys who are characters and you can see they are enjoying themselves.

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Mickelson, Bubba and Rory from the current(ish) crop - always something to attract a viewer, both good and not. Tiger on a charge in his heyday was about as exciting as it got for me, though. Hope there is a last hurrah or two to come. Growing up I watched Norman and Seve for hours.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Very rarely watch men's golf, only for the majors, actually. I think my favourite players to watch are Rory, Bubba and maybe Jason Day (even though he is mindnumbingly slow at times, but I just kinda like to look at him). I do watch a lot of the LPGA events on YouTube (someone always uploads the GolfChannel footage pretty much directly after it aired). And there my favourite players to watch are Michelle Wie, Shanshan Feng, Brittanny Lincicome, Lydia Ko and Morya Jutanagarn at the moment. But actually, I find a good commentary and good selection of the shots shown much more important than what player I am seeing. And I somehow find that the regular commenators for the LPGA events just do a better job at presenting the tournament as a more or less consistent narrative.

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Fowler all day long. Simply as I'm a Puma fan. Wear nothing else on course than Puma. Unfortunately I didn't get on with Cobra golf clubs otherwise they would have been in the bag too!

But as I use Srixon Clubs I enjoy watching Matsuyama, and also the Big easy.

Finally Speith - he won the open last year, my first golf tournament....simples!

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Phil - crowd pleaser
Rose - always a gent
Stenson - ice cold
Rory - A Rorycoaster, but the highs are incredibly high
Sneds - pop it and pop off
Kuch - aww golly
Rahm - it everywhere
Couples - that follow through
Jimenez - because Jimenez
Tiger - I cannot wait for Augusta.

and this one is going to throw people

Speith.

Yeah okay he takes 10 minutes to play a shot, I followed him at Birkdale and it was painful. But the question is "on TV" so you don't see that. And yeah he talks a lot and yeah he seems all over the place but there's something in his eyes when he gets in the zone that I love to watch. He's on another plane. Few enough achieve that as often as he does on the big stage imo. I wish I had 1/100,000,000th of that focus. He's a killer. And yet prone to absolute madness. You never know what you're going to get and for that I enjoy watching him on TV.

*runs for cover*