Favourite open champion?

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Who is yours?

Mine would have to be Darren Clarke. Always been a fan of his and seems like a man you could go for a pint with.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Tough call, was very happy for Clarke

Seve of course as an all time favourite

Probably Stenson recently
Love watching that guy play and it was great being there for his shootout with Phil

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Another vote for Stenson. Seve, Faldo etc were before my time. Close call between Stenson and Mickleson but the quality of that final round and his whole demeanour just edges it.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Tiger. His wins at St Andrews & Hoylake were clinics of how to play the game.

Ask me my favourite masters champion.... tiger

D

Deleted member 1418

Seve and Ernie.

Too young at the time to remember the 1984 Open but skipped school in 88 to watch the final round (due to the weather and course flooding the final round was held on the Monday) Seve and Nick Price battle it out round Lytham. It wasn’t as great as Stenson and Michelson obviously but the fact that Seve shot a majestic 65 to eventually see off Price shows what a great tussle it was.

And Ernie’s renaissance in 2012 and how he just went for everything on his back 9 was very Seve-esque and piled the pressure on Scott. And the tv shot of his final putt for birdie on 18 was brilliant.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Tom Watson. I remember the Duel in the Sun at Turnberry in '77. I'd put that final round with Nichlaus and Watson at least on a par with Stenson's win against Mickleson. They finished 10 shots clear of Hubert Green after shooting 65-65(Watson), 65-66(Nichlaus) in the last two rounds.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Rory for me. And Faldo who was before my time really, but i was apparently at Muirfield in 92 to see his third win. But being 1 and a half I obivously don't remember it.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I like the backstory of John Daly's win, gave his caddie all the credit not sure if he even had a practice round played with no fear and was a breath of fresh air at the time.