Favourite Masters Memories

Visit site
96, Faldo Norman compelling last round from start to finish. And what they both did on the 18th was great rivals finally appreciating each other.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Faldo and Norman for me too but for different reasons.
Despite all that was going on and losing his lead, Norman never lost his cool.
He never swore (out loud), never threw a club, shouted at anyone, comlained about the greens etc etc
He was totally professional.
What disappointed me was that no-one commentating noticed it and used it as an example of how to behave when you're having a bad day, especially in front of millions of people.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
SAndy Lyle winning wasn’t just the bunker shot he played the best golf all week.
I was watching him practice at Hawkstone and he was very approachable chatting with people.
But there’s a steel in his eyes you only see in some people.
He told us he was playing well and should have a flutter on him.
So I did , my nerves were shot when that putt went snaking down the 18th green.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
He never swore (out loud), never threw a club, shouted at anyone, comlained about the greens etc etc
What disappointed me was that no-one commentating noticed it and used it as an example of how to behave when you're having a bad day, especially in front of millions of people.
By all account Faldo was exceptionally with Norman too which makes it even better

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Always liked that about Norman. Despite being denied / losing out on so many majors he always seemed to keep his dignity.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Faldo reeling in Norman for me also.

The most memorable point? 12th, is it in the water, has it stuck on the bank, come on give us another camera angle...........then you see a ripple.....

Didnt see the round live but have seen snippets over the years from the beeb's coverage and remember Alliss and Alex Hay in their pomp. After Norman's tee shot at the 12th Alliss said, with great gravitas and timing and a sense of heartbreak almost in his voice, something along the lines of "I fear there's a little tremor in the pond." And then when Norman dumped his tee shot into the water at 16 Hay's response was similarly dignified but with the same gravitas "Oohhhhh and that's curtains." What they said was so simple and understated but the delivery was superb and fitting for what was being shown.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Has to be Lyle for the personal reason that I met him and Faldo a couple of weeks before the Masters playing a practice round at Royal Wimbledon and both were so approachable (there were only a handful of us walking round). Had never really warmed to Lyle before then but really changed my opinion and so was delighted to see him win. That and Seve winning as the bloke was my golfing idol

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Too many to mention.

Obviously Sandy Lyle was amazing viewing, Bubba playing that incredible shot out of the trees, backing Mike Weir.

Biggest or most pleasing even ahead of Sandy was Olazabal winning again in 99. For a man who couldn't walk at times due to his arthritic foot condition to winning the Masters for a second time was magical. If my memory is correct that was also a Norman bridesmaid moment too!

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Remember palmer walking up 18 for the last time in 04 I think which was pretty special, tigers chip in in 05 and the iron Phil hit into 13 out of trees in 2010 was pretty special. Probably the 3 that stick out the most for me