Favourite golfer/s

Svenska

Assistant Pro
Visit site
This has probably been done before, but who is your favourite golfer/s on tour?

When I was a kid I loved Greg Norman, Seve, Faldo, Jesper Parnevik and John Daly. I had £2 on Greg Norman at 1000/1 when he nearly won The Open a few years back. I cannot tell you how gutted I was that a) he didn't win and b) I hadn't backed it each way. Betfair make you put two seperate bets on, that's why.

I've been a massive fan of Sergio for obvious reasons over the past 10+ years and the fact he's a bit of a nearly man adds to the appeal. His battle with Tiger at Medinah in the USPGA in '99 was one of the best golfing duels i've ever seen, the sheer confidence Sergio had back then was superb.

I'm very fond of Henrik Stenson and being part Swedish myself, i've always wanted him and other Swedes to do well. He's very temperamental, which is sometimes refreshing to see in golf. I still think he's got a major in him.

But right now, Thorbjorn Olesen is as good as any player i've seen coming through bar Rory and he's going to be an absolute star. Ever since The Open last summer where I followed him about for 2 days i've been rooting for him in tournaments. I'm looking forward to seeing how he fairs up in the US.

Akie

Head Pro
Visit site
Always loved Sergio Garcia and hoped that he would win a major which looks increasingly unlikely now. Was always very dependable in the Ryder Cup though!

Svenska

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Good question!

On tour now - I guess IJP for the fight, Big Phil for the sporting attitude and Brad Snedeker for the name and pace of play. Els remains for me a favourite too

Of course, how could I forget Ernie! Big Easy has been such a hero over the years and his counterpart Goosen.

I read an interesting article on Retief many years ago, he was apparently a real hot head and character as a youngster but got struck by lightening twice and it's resulted in a much calmer and reserved guy!! Crazy stuff.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
But right now, Thorbjorn Olesen is as good as any player i've seen coming through bar Rory and he's going to be an absolute star. Ever since The Open last summer where I followed him about for 2 days i've been rooting for him in tournaments. I'm looking forward to seeing how he fairs up in the US.

Big yes here. I think he'll win a major in the next 24 months.

StrangelyBrown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Uncle Miguel...

Jimenez.jpg

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Grew up following Norman and Price.

Nowadays it's Tigger, Retief, Vijay (gutted) and Adam Scott - but I think Dufner is brilliant!

But strangely non of them make it into my dream fourball!

Last edited:

Jdb2005

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Only been playing golf myself for 4 years and during that time my favourite golfers and characters of the game at tiger woods, Graeme McDowell , poulter and Jimenez

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
My favourites are the ones who play with a big smile on their face and seem affable after the round ...... So the likes of Jiminez, McDowell, Thomas Levet, Donald etc.

Svenska

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Grew up following Norman and Price.

Nowadays it's Tigger, Retief, Vijay (gutted) and Adam Scott - but I think Dufner is brilliant!

But strangely non of them make it into my dream fourball!

I'm a Dufner fan too. I'll always be in awe of Tiger but the Americans as a rule, irritate me! Haha.

What's everyones thoughts on Rickie Fowler? A genuine talent or too much of a pop star?

scratch

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
What's everyones thoughts on Rickie Fowler? A genuine talent or too much of a pop star?

Seems like a nice enough guy but over-rated in my opinion. I can see him winning a handful of tournaments in his career but certainly no world beater.

I also like Dufner....just plods along doing his own thing, the US equivalent of MAJ.

Justman

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Poulter and Donald are the two I admire and have qualities I need to work on. Poulter for the fight and Donald for the calm professional attitude.

I love Jimenez. He just cracks me up and I also watch out for Chris Wood.

People really coming through right now, I like the look of Thorbjorn Oleson and Brandt Snedeker. Think these are the two to watch in the next couple of years!