Fault Finding - Current Golf Swing

Richegroover

Visit site
Hello everyone,

Read the magazine quite regularly but never thought to post on the website until a friend suggested it.

It's my first year playing golf properly, given the decent summer we have had I haven't put much stock in practicing down the local range, although I've managed to drop a few points on my handicap through the summer months I've figured the winter would be a great time to really get to grips with specific problems with my game.

Took this rather sketchy video footage of my swing last night:

Golf Swing

I hadn't noticed on the course (that much) but it was clear down the range that I must be hitting way down on the ball as I was hammering the mat. Trouble is at the moment its hard, as a beginner to identify what the root causes might be.

It's clear that I'm swinging the iron back way too far from what I've been advised previously but can anyone else see any major floors in the swing? I'm sure you'll recognize a few!

One thing I have also noted is that whereas when starting I had a slice, the majority of my off shots now tend to go left, so I'm missing mainly in the same area, just need to find out what that is!

Any advice/assistance appreciated - I can take it back to the range next week and see if an improvement is noticeable. :)

Many thanks in advance.

Riche

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Richie, welcome to the forum.
Firstly, I've seen alot worse :)
Have you checked your grip.
It may be a little strong, hard to tell from your video but lots of good things in your swing. :D

Richegroover

Visit site
Firstly, thank you to all for the responses, really appreciate them.

I'll be sure to check on my grip, I've got a training grip so hopefully that is something I can get sorted. It's not an element of the setup I've looked at too much this far so it is definitely something I'll be checking out next week on the range...

It's reassuring to hear that theres some good things in the swing too! ::)

The range I was on is on the outskirts of Cardiff - not too far away from the Rain Soaked 2010 Ryder Cup!

A

Alex1975

I am not qualified to comment on your swing either and I don’t know if I just like to see people making golf swings but your swing looks SWEET! I hope mine looks something like that but I am rather worried that’s it doesn’t. What you playing off and have you had any lessons?

A

Alex1975

Just watched it again and the bit I really like is your transition from your take away to your downswing, its killer.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
You have an interesting little move at the top of your backswing, your shoulders are a little flat on the backswing (and subsequently the club goes back a little flat to start with) then your right shoulder comes UP and you tilt into the ball more. It's not much but if it's inconsistent then your swing will be too.

If you have a little more shoulder angle on the way back you should get the feeling of being able to take the club up on plane and bring the club down closer to the line it went up.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
You have an interesting little move at the top of your backswing, your shoulders are a little flat on the backswing (and subsequently the club goes back a little flat to start with) then your right shoulder comes UP and you tilt into the ball more. It's not much but if it's inconsistent then your swing will be too.

If you have a little more shoulder angle on the way back you should get the feeling of being able to take the club up on plane and bring the club down closer to the line it went up.

You took the words right out of my mouth James.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
This could do with looking at.

golfswingrandomflatguy.jpg

compare to

LorenaOchoaanalysis.jpg

If you can swing the club on a good plane, you'll get consistent much quicker.

I would say the line should be at the ball (with long clubs, at it's flattest) and inside the ball for shorter ones.

Have a look at this...

4picturebackswing.jpg

Richegroover

Visit site
Thats awesome really appreciate the effort that has gone into that last bit of analysis! Really helps show the difference.

I've decided it might be worth having a video lesson so got one booked in for tomorrow!

The winter definitely feels like a good time to work on the aspects that need attention, looking forward to getting stuck into them :)

To the person who asked earlier, current handicap is 16 and I've had one lesson so far. Had lessons as a young junior as it was mandatory back then before being allowed onto the course. I hadn't played golf for a long long time since them though - this year I've mostly been taking advantage of the dry summer to play as often as possible. :D

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
A lesson sounds good.

f.w.i.w. at least your hands are in a good place (i.m.o).

If your club goes back on plane and your shoulders get less flat, I know you'll see a huge improvement.

Good luck.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
RGDave As you say, the shaft angle isn't ideal going back

richy3.jpg

This doesn't concern me too much as the downswing is very impressive (below).

Look at the shaft angle half way down (very good) and the position of the hands and arms just after impact...virtually the same as at address :)

rich.jpg

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nice. :)

I did one for TonyN years ago where I managed to stop the video on the way down and after impact. From 9 to 3 he was storming.....that's why some balls were hit so brilliantly.

Only a portion of the swing needs to be good to hit good balls, it's the rest that mucks it up!!!

Richegroover

Visit site
Thanks, lots of helpful posts :)

I had a lesson following the posts here with a highly recommended local Pro, we mostly worked on grip (making it neutral previously being way too strong) and making sure I make a full turn through the swing. He did mention the shoulders being flat(ish) and said I should try to shift my weight towards my left side a little, almost like pushing against a tree. I have to say it all felt a little odd. He basically thought the root cause of all my troubles resided in the overly strong grip though.

Full of new advice I've been back to the range again to practice. Took a couple of shots on the camera again, I did slice the last one. Now my grip is neutral that is happening a bit, I guess its the adjustment process!

Can anyone identify the difference in these? :

Swing (2)

and

Swing 3 (Slice)

Riche :) :)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I would say the clubface position at impact isn't the same on both swings.
If your pro has weakened your grip, it will sometimes slip back to the old strong position during the swing, opening the clubface (swing 2)
Just try and make sure the hands return to the same position at impact as they were at address.