Fake Taylormade r7 Superquad from American Golf!

Olivavu

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi all. I got a Taylormade r7 Superquad driver from the used section in American Golf in Maidstone - and it turned out to be a fake!

I noticed when I saw this when comparing it to another:

Where the crooks have really let themselves down is with the shafts. On this close-up you can see the graphite weave of the stock TaylorMade RE-AX shaft on the counterfeit (below) is not actually graphite weave but has been painted on and looks less pronounced.

Counterfeit_TM_R7_460_Shaft.jpg

American Golf were really good about it and took back the club to send back to Taylormade.

They wrote on the dispatch note "Please see suspected fake. Please replace and return."

What exactly does that mean? Because Taylormade don't make r7 anymore. So what will happen?

I thought TM didn't replace any counterfeits???

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
it's in TM's interests to get as many fakes out of circulation as possible, and they probably have agreements with their distributors.

not surprised that things like this get through to the second hand bin - there's no way they can keep on top of every possibility and many are very good; whilst some are rather more obvious!

yet another reason the trade is moving away from the SH market; as your post title they end up being blamed.

Olivavu

Club Champion
Visit site
So what will they be replacing it with? They don't make r7 anymore, so what can they send me to replace it?

I got it for £50 from the used section a while ago and only noticed it was a fake when comparing it to another.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
So what will they be replacing it with? They don't make r7 anymore, so what can they send me to replace it?

I got it for £50 from the used section a while ago and only noticed it was a fake when comparing it to another.

If it's not a fake you will get it back, if it is you will probably be refunded your purchase price or be offered an alternative - it would be your decision at that point. Alternatively they may well have a 'spare' club - it's not exactly a rare item!

Olivavu

Club Champion
Visit site
It is blatantly a fake. The weave has been painted on to the shaft - like in the Golf Bidder picture.

T

thecraw

I'd be more inclined to head this Fantastic Service from AG.

They have fought your corner and your getting a brand new club out of it. Don't think they can do any better.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Good service, possibly.

Covering their ass, definitely.

It is illegal to sell a fake and they could be prosecuted as well as get into trouble with one of their largest suppliers. Therefore they should want to get this cleared up fast and keep you happy and not complaining to trading standards. Whether they actually return it to TM or just destroy it is another question.

Olivavu

Club Champion
Visit site
They said they would send it to Taylormade and I think they will. Well, either that or to their supplier office and look for a replacement.

Just wanted to know if anyone had experienced anything similar.

kev_off_the_tee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Take a picture of them and send them to TM.

I had suspicions about my Nike equipment to took pictures of everything and sent them in an email long with the serial numbers and got a very nice email back confirming they are genuine and how please they were that I chose Nike.

Also in the email they said if they found that any of the were fake they would have replaced like for like or offered the current equivalent so you can't do better than that

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
If I was you then I would take them to the cleaners. I would make sure you got a brand new driver from them for this in compensation. I am sure trading standards would not be best impressed with them selling fake clubs to people. As a retailer they have responsibilities and selling fake clubs to people is not one of them.

T

thecraw

If I was you then I would take them to the cleaners. :blah:I would make sure you got a brand new driver from them for this in compensation. I am sure trading standards would not be best impressed with them selling fake clubs to people. As a retailer they have responsibilities and selling fake clubs to people is not one of them.

How can you take them to the cleaners?

They have made a genuine mistake which they are going to rectify with a brand new club, you really can't get more than a brand new upgrade.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
How can you take them to the cleaners?

They have made a genuine mistake which they are going to rectify with a brand new club, you really can't get more than a brand new upgrade.

Sale of Goods Act. You bought a TM club, you got a fake. They have failed in their most basic responsibility to provide you the item they told you you were buying. Somewhere between sloppy and negligent, assuming they didn't know it was a fake. It would not be the first time a shop has ditched something they knew was a fake onto someone either.

I don't think you will take them to the cleaners exactly, but you could them a few issues with trading standards and in the local press. Their best move is to buy the silence of the complaining customer with a great upgrade. I see a brand new R11 or RBZ coming the OPs direction pronto.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I would hope TM would do the decent thing and send an RBZ or R11 without quibble via AG. I don't think threatening anyone or trying to take them to the cleaners at this early stage is going to help the situation. AG, whether guilty of knowingly trying to push a snide club onto an unknowing punter or not, have taken action and this won't get resolved until early next week at the earliest anyway

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would hope TM would do the decent thing and send an RBZ or R11 without quibble via AG. I don't think threatening anyone or trying to take them to the cleaners at this early stage is going to help the situation. AG, whether guilty of knowingly trying to push a snide club onto an unknowing punter or not, have taken action and this won't get resolved until early next week at the earliest anyway

Homer

TM has no obligation. They are the ones being counterfeited

This is 100% AG's responsibility.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Homer

TM has no obligation. They are the ones being counterfeited

This is 100% AG's responsibility.

Totally agree, Taylormade have nothing to do with it, there is no contract with them at any stage of the transaction. I really cannot see what AG expect to gain from sending the club off other than getting confirmation that it is or is not a fake. If it is a fake then you can expect an apology and a full refund and maybe a little extra as an apology but I would not expect a new driver from Taylormade or much more than a refund from AG for what I would like to think was an honest mistake.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Wasn't the weave only visible on the REAX Rombax shaft fitted as standard to the TP version and the non-TP vanilla REAX shaft had a solid paint finish?

I wasn't going to get into that side of things........but did check an R7 Re-ax I have in the workshop and you can't discern the weave on that!

But let's not get in the way of the blood letting hordes piling into the retailer - it is Saturday night after all.