Fairways V's Hybrid

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Has anyone dropped their fairways for hybrids?

I had a trackman session yesterday and tried out a couple of G410 hybrids. To be honest the results were pretty staggering in terms of consistency and distance that I was achieving. So much so I pulled out my 5 wood (set at 16.5 - 3 wood length shaft) and started a comparison in terms of numbers, distance, spin, dispersion etc when put up against the G410 17 degree hybrid. While overall the my 5 wood was an average of 11 yards longer it was clear that the hybrid was far more consistent. Ball speed was always similar, the dispersion was better/tighter by 12 yards and the consistency of strike was better. Certainly the results surprised me, thought the fairway would be quite a bit longer with the lower (slightly) loft, longer shaft and bigger mass. Clearly not the case.

To be honest it has made me question whether I should/could just drop the fairway and add the 17 hybrid and a 21/22 (plug the gap to the 4 iron) hybrid. I figure that the hybrid is more versatile, its easier to hit off the fairway, its easier to hit out of semi and rough and to be honest for the sake of between 8 and 14 yards (lowest and biggest distance difference) its not something that worries me. Also the 17 can be turned down to 16 with the G410 and not effect the face angle. Decisions decisions!!!

I finish up on Sunday for two weeks, will book a fitting session I think.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
I tried a 2 hybrid to replace my 3 wood but couldn't hit it straight, kept cutting it for some reason. Couldn't figure it out as I have a 3 and 4 hybrid and hit them great but couldn't get the 2 hybrid going.

So the 2 hybrid got the chop and I now have a 4 wood in the bag.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was going to go the other way and drop a wedge for a 5w. I've gone Driver, 4w, 19 degree hybrid 4-pw, 50, 54,58 this season. I tried a mates 5w the other weekend as I fancy putting my old 3w back as the drivers been misbehaving a bit.

In my head i thought it would be best to go driver, 3w , 5w, 3hy-pw + 50 & 56 degree wedges. I went on the top tracers at the driving range (not ideal, but its all relative) and the 3hy / 5w pretty much did the same job distance wise, but as you say, the hybrid has a shorter shaft, is more versatile and is easier to hit. So i've decided to go driver 3w, hybrid, 4i-pw and keep the options at the bottom of the bag with 3 wedges instead as we've 4 par 5's and a couple of short 4's where wedge distances are important.

To your point though, i'm now tempted to try a really strong hybrid (15/16 degree) to see if it compares to my 3w. Let us know how your fitting goes !!

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Swapped my Xr16 3 wood (16 degree head) for a H85 Srixon 2 Hybrid (also 16 degree).

Early results are mixed but ive only played one round with it due to the weather....

I did hit a word class shot on my approach into a decent par 5. Driver / Hybrid into wind (ish) and put it to 10 foot.

Id never have achieved that with a wood as i send it miles high. The hybrid goes like a bullet. Even lower than my TMB 2 iron (17 degree)

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
I hardly touch a fairway wood these days, got an 18* Callaway Apex hybrid that goes probably the same distance on average as a 3w due to being more consistent (good 3w probably a bit longer but I’m terrible with them so bad ones are horrendous!)

I’m going to try a 16/17 hybrid at some point and maybe change lofts of hybrids (16 & 20 perhaps) and get rid of fairways altogether.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I was going to go the other way and drop a wedge for a 5w. I've gone Driver, 4w, 19 degree hybrid 4-pw, 50, 54,58 this season. I tried a mates 5w the other weekend as I fancy putting my old 3w back as the drivers been misbehaving a bit.

In my head i thought it would be best to go driver, 3w , 5w, 3hy-pw + 50 & 56 degree wedges. I went on the top tracers at the driving range (not ideal, but its all relative) and the 3hy / 5w pretty much did the same job distance wise, but as you say, the hybrid has a shorter shaft, is more versatile and is easier to hit. So i've decided to go driver 3w, hybrid, 4i-pw and keep the options at the bottom of the bag with 3 wedges instead as we've 4 par 5's and a couple of short 4's where wedge distances are important.

To your point though, i'm now tempted to try a really strong hybrid (15/16 degree) to see if it compares to my 3w. Let us know how your fitting goes !!

Will do.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
went though all that some years ago, got rid of the 5 wood for and i8deg hybrid, far better flight distance and playability IMO

as for the strong hybrid, tried that was far less consistant that the 3 wood and didn't go anywhere near as far

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
went though all that some years ago, got rid of the 5 wood for and i8deg hybrid, far better flight distance and playability IMO

as for the strong hybrid, tried that was far less consistant that the 3 wood and didn't go anywhere near as far

I don't carry a 3 wood, ultimately its a 4 wood, 5 wood turned down to 16.5 with a 3 wood length shaft. Genuinely was staggered by the "lack of" difference between them on Trackman. Plus a hybrid off tight links turf is going to be easier than a fairway all day long.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have three hybrids in the bag because I always struggled more with long irons. The longest hybrid is 20° so almost comparable with a 5 wood I suppose. I have a 3 wood in there which is quite high-lofted at 16° - I wouldn't replace that with a hybrid because I think, as it would be more often used off the tee, the bigger head gives a bit more confidence at address. But I've never seen the point of having more than one fairway wood - I previously had a 4 wood as opposed to a 3 & a 5 - because as you say, off the deck I'd rather be looking down at a hybrid I think.

Edit: Also with the 3 wood I have an SF tec now which is more draw-bias than you can get in a hybrid, which for me is more ideal at that length.

Last edited:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Schoolboy logic tells us that:

3w is almost as long a driver and easier to hit/more accurate
Lower lofted Hybrids are almost as long as a 3w and easier to hit/more accurate

Ergo hugo ipso facto.... just play the hybrid off the tee = no more lost balls :sneaky:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I dropped a 5 wood at least 10 years ago for a 22* hybrid. I can hit the hybrid almost as far, especially if I hit a hard draw, but it is its get out of jail qualities that really ensure it stays in the bag. Those iffy, scabby lies are when it shows its best colours.

My TM 3HL wood has stayed in the bag. Its great off the tee but also for long second shots off the fairway.

I tried an 18* hybrid but it was just too unforgiving off the fairway. And now I have a Titleist 718 T-MB 3 iron the 18* hybrid stays in my spare bag.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have been batting all season with Callaway Apex Hybrids 20*, 23* & 26* ....... that's 3, 4 & 5 really rate them. Struggled hitting 5 iron upwards & now rarely hit even a 6 as the 26* is so adaptable....... usually ;)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Just so happens that the last three times I have been out I have pretty much relegated my 4w - my erstwhile favourite club - to the back of the bag in favour of my 2010 Cleveland Launcher 3i (20.5*) Hybrid. And I ask myself whether it is any coincidence that doing so has resulted in my best golf and scoring of the year.

I can hit my 3iH about 200-210yds max - but find it very easy to cut back on it and play anything from say about 170yds. It's not that my 4w was getting me into trouble - well not that often - but it is clear to me that my 3iH is much more versatile and suited to the sort of game I like to play, and because of that I can use it quite a lot every single round. And in my experience the fewer clubs I need to use in any round - or the more often I can use the same longer one - the better I will score.

I looked at the times I was playing my 4w and realised that the extra distance I was getting - say 25-30yds or so over my 3iH - just wasn't making a huge difference - and in fact when used early in a round especially my 4w shots tended to be very variable in quality - with rubbish early on being round-wreckers. So for the time being I have decided to put my 4w away unless needs must - and that is going to be rare - I can imagine me using it maybe once or twice off the tee - but that'll be about it. My chipping and putting are good - and so I'd rather be short in front rather than long, wide and in the clag.

Last edited:

dronfield

Visit site
I carry both - a Ping K15 19 degree 5 wood that i use from the tee and occassionally from the fairway, and Mizuno JPX EZ 22 degree & 25 degree hybrids for fairway use (cant hit them off tee).
Am happy with these options - would be reluctant to drop the 5 wood as currently used for 3/4 tee shots per round.

Rich

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I found that a rescue with anything with less loft that about 19 degrees takes a good ball striker to keep it straight and produce loft.

The difference between my 20 deg Rescue and my 3 wood is about 20 yards so they have both stayed in the bag.

The rescue gets most use off a fairway or rough and the 3 wood off a tee or very good lie.

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
Couldn't be without my trusty 5wood, so only carry a 19 degree h/brid then 5to PW with a 60loft lob wedge the 5wood can do all sorts for me ,high shots or low shots ,depending on the wind ,the rescue isnt as versatile for me,